What's new

Why Preorder? (1 Viewer)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I can't remember real well, but wasn't it the fall of '99 that was the pinnacle of pre-ordering? 40% off at Reel, and free shipping. There were other good deals, but that was the best for a long time. Too bad they couldn't make a profit doing that. Then there was the 3 for $1 at 800.com around January of '99. Plus there were times when you could get pre-orders a day or two early. People used to actually brag about that on here. But that's no longer such a big deal since there's thousands of quality DVDs available.

Until I ran across Dave's posts, I wasn't aware that the B&Ms were doing such a good job. I think the first time I saw this was with Phantom Menace, but it may have been something else. I had preordered the disc to make sure I got it, then I saw that Best Buy actually had a better price, and plenty in stock.

Catalog titles are still a notable exception. Thank god for all the options we have now. Back before the turn of the century we had to put some work into getting the new releases for the best price. You young whippersnappers with your Weekly Roundups...

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
That's right, young whippersnappers. Why, in my day, I had to arrange the electrons on the screen by hand, under candle light. ;)

MarcinL

Stunt Coordinator
Here is why I don't preorder anymore

examples from BB

Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown $14.99 each plus free From Dusk Till Dawn DVD!!!! thats like $10 a piece no one could have beat it

recently Minority Report $14.99 BB

Triple XXX $14.99

Barbershop $14.99 plus get What the worst that could happen on dvd for only $4.99, never seen it, its OK i spent 5 bucks!!!!!!!!!!

Cheap MGM war movies and Westerns, they had recently buy 4 MGM classic and get 2 free, so I picked UP GREAT ESCAPE, A BRIDGE TOO FAR, THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY, FISTFULL OF DOLLARS, FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE and I got Showgirls cause the had no more classics so!!!

6 MOVIES for 40 Bucks = 6.66 a piece, No wonder rental industry is going down, Im willing to bet, they will have the sale bins with $5 Movies soon

BB had one with few movies for 5.99, I picked up MR NICE GUY, MOST WANTED, PRESUMED INNOCENT and HARD TO KILL for 5.99 each, Not the greatest movies but for 6 bucks i watch them once, every so often, plus MOST WANTED rocks

Ian

Agent
I preorder because it is convenient and I save the 8.5% sales tax. I combine my orders, so I receive my DVDs every couple of months or so with free shipping. I will periodically preorder a stray DVD (i.e., Metropolis (Kino)) I want on street date.

The prices at the B&Ms (Tower, Virgin, BB) plus my time and sales tax are more than I would pay on preorders with shipping charges. Free shipping makes it a no-brainer.

Ian

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I wish.

online is still cheaper than buying from any B&M here. so since I'm buying online anyway, I might as well pre-order for stuff I'm really keen to get, even though nowadays there hardly seems any difference in pre-order and post-release date prices online.

Sam_K

Stunt Coordinator
I live oversea (Region 3) but prefer Region 1 discs... so, I pre-order to obtain the best price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks