What's new

Why no more Barney Miller? (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so, "the life and times of captain barney miller" is the aired original pilot?

was this any different then the series?

or was it just the first ep with a different nmae, like the seinfeld chronicles?

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I went home after I posted that and watched "Child Stealers" on the "Gone Berserk" Columbia House tape. The jurisdiction question didn't come up--is that from another episode? Loved the episode, though.

I couldn't help myself, having not watched any episodes in a while, so I watched the other three on the same tape while I was at it. One of those was the "Doomsday" episode, which will be the first ep in the season 2 set, and it has to be one of the best of the series. That's the one where William Windom has the dynamite belt and threatens to blow up the building, and Steve Landesberg (before being given the Dietrich role a few months later) guest-stars as a fake priest caught giving out Gideon Bibles stolen from hotel rooms.

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Hmm well, it has been a WHILE since viewing that episode, but it must be
another one where there was the question of who got whom.

One of my favourite ones was when Fish was missing, turns out he was having
a bad day with smog in the air, and an ambulance took him away but he never
made it to any hospital, when he finally showed up, Barney asked where was he?
Out for a walk, Barney said the ambulance won't let you leave until a doctor sees
you and says you can go.
To which Fish replied, "the gun helped" :)
G2

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
At least we're getting Barney Miller. It was and still remains one of my favourite shows. I know I'll be picking up Season 3 when it's released ...

Plus, how many of you recognize Ron Glass? The actor that played Book on Serenity? He's Detective Harris. Awesomeness news.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
I'm most looking forward to the episode where most of the squad gets stoned from eating hashish-laced brownies baked by Wojo's girlfriend! The most memorable line from that show for me was Fish's reaction when he found out: "First time I've felt this good in 30 years, and it has to be ILLEGAL!!!":laugh:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^^^^
That's funny stuff! And I vaguely remember that.

Still on Season 1 and having a ball, even though the "home with Barney" are kind of odd. I don't remember seeing any episode with him and his family at home.

Clay_E

Second Unit

Or if you're an old fart like me, it's the other way around! :P

But yeah, thank the DVD gods that season three is on the way! Hope the remaining seasons will be released in slightly more timely fashion...

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I remember a cheesy airline disaster movie that Glass appeared in in the 80s. After a crash into a swamp in the middle of nowhere he's the businessman (complete with briefcase) who is seen walking away into the swamp and nervously telling everyone "I'm...I'm late for my meeting...I need to get to my....my meeting". :laugh:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Good deal. glad it's coming out. I'll get Season 2 before DeeDee's ends their b1g1f.

@ Dan
CRASH!! I remember that now. I was really into airline disaster movies since seeing Airport '77 in the theater. Loved CRASH. Of course, saw it in the 90s (I think) and pretty much laughed through it MST3K style. :D

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Is S3 when Steve Landesberg gets added to the cast as "Deitrich"? I think so, if my memory's working :laugh:

How about when Officer "Levitt" (the detective wannabe) is added? Seems to me that was after Deitrich was already a regular on the show.

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe

I've pre-ordered season 3 as well. Am I excited? No, not really because I have a strange feeling that the studio will soon issue a complete series of this show after releasing season 3 and I'll have to double dip on the show to get the rest of the seasons. It's the mood that has been created by the likes of Fox (see posts on Mary Tyler Moore).

Now, the question I ask: should I cancel the order or TAKE A CHANCE? Why should we all be taking chances with these products anyway? It's insane.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Considering that it's a very rare situation (has any show gone from individual season releases to a series set besides Mary Tyler Moore?), I don't see a reason to worry about it happening with this show.

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe

Ah, TravisR, but what if this is the "new in-thing" for studios to do? The point of my post was merely to express the fact that I'm thinking this way. Why I have been manipulated into a situation that created such apprehension of whether I should purchase or not? Marketing 101 should provide comfort for the customer. All the customer should think about is whether: I need the product; and whether it's priced fairly. Now the studios have created a new path in the decision tree - will this product be obsolete, inferior in the near future?

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Another option is not to pre-order, but wait a few months for the inevitable price drop on season 3. For example, right now you can get the first two seasons of "Barney Miller" at DeepDiscount for $22.61 shipped as part of a "buy one, get one free" sale that they're currently running on selected Sony TV series. I bought my season 2 copy at Amazon this past October and it was only $12.49. Yes, you're still stuck with some early seasons of the series if Sony decides to go the full series route, but your outlay is comparatively minimal.

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F
The problem with not buying Season 3 of Barney Miller because they might one day in the distant future release a complete series set, is that if lots of folks do the same thing, and Season 3 doesn't sell, Sony might conclude that the show doesn't have a strong enough fan base to justify future releases, let alone a complete series set years from now.

Honestly, I think Mary Tyler Moore show is an isolated case. A lot of fans and TV critics have been hounding Fox to finish the show, and I think that public display of dissatisfaction forced Fox to do something. I don't think Barney Miller enjoys that sort of high visibility to prompt Sony to do the same.

But like the saying goes, You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Ok Bringing this Back up. Maybe when Shout Factory is done with All in teh Family they can revisit this series for season 4-8.. Here's hoping.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks