What's new

Why Isn't MacGyver On DVD Yet? (1 Viewer)

Still hope to see some extras on the release, though.
biggrin.gif

Well, as it assumingly hasn't been announced in Paramount's press release, the box probably won't have any bonus material, but maybe Paramount surprises us for the first time ever.
wink.gif

Jano

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
David: Thanks! Looks Great!
Do you know if those are slim cases used or just normal sized? I can't really tell from the picture. I would prefer slim but i am not gonna complain just happy as hell to get this released.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Paramount's been using slims for most lately, so I think there's no doubt (to me anyway) that these are the thinpaks again.

Oh, and you're welcome! I enjoy bringing these to everyone. :)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
The bad news, going by the cover art, is that the set won't have any extras. The "Paramount Television" banner has been used on Mork & Mindy (no extras), Happy Days (no extras), Laverne & Shirley (no extras), and Keen Eddie (no extras).

Of course that just speculation based on the previous "Paramount Television" titles.

Gord

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Yeah i am not counting any extras being there. While i would love to have some RDA commentaries etc.. the bottom line is it won't bother me. I will be happy enough just to have this show which is the most important thing. I pre-ordered this 6-disc set for $24.56 shipped gotta love it! If we get any extras it will be icing!

Well, I can't understand what is so difficult about getting some old abc tv commercials or some deleted footage.
Is Paramount just too lazy or are there any real problems?

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
A running time of 17 hours and 25 minutes suggests an average length of 47.5 minutes per episode for this set, assuming there are no extras. Does this sound correct?

Aside from Star Trek, I'm not terribly familiar with Paramount's TV on DVD product. Is it a real concern that the episodes might be edited? I know of several recent TV on DVD releases that featured episodes cut for syndication, but has this ever happened with Paramount product?

Another question about the "Paramount Television" product line: Do they have bilingual packaging in Canada?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Marko, those times sound correct, and I don't think there will be extras.

My copy of 7th Heaven includes French on the back of the package, but not the spine, and not the discs themselves. My copy of Keen Eddie doesn't have any French. Sounds hit and miss.

Gord

Man, Paramount impresses me with the low price point on this set. Universal, which is responsible for the ludicrously priced early season Quantum Leap and Northern Exposure sets, should really take some lessons here from The Mount.

Now, if we could only convince the Paramount gang that Voyager should sell for $15 bucks a season. I feel like we could mathematically prove this based on the quality of early MacGyver vs. the quality of The Best of Voyager but alas, I doubt they'd go for it. :D

-Brian

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Looks like a great set!! I've caught a few episodes on syndication lately. They don't seem to hold up like I thought they would. I'm still going to put the set on my wish list. :)

The first review is online at DVDTalk.com (can't post the link, though, as I haven't 15 postings - it's dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14056)

Unfortunately, it confirms that the box has absolutely no extras and - in addition - a very, very poor video quality. :frowning:

Very sad! I would have loved it if Paramount had given so much effort into this release as Universal for Miami Vice...

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
On the other hand, DVD Authority has a much more positive review.

My impression is somewhere between the two. I'll have my review posted soon.

In brief: the Pilot episode looks pretty bad, and one or two other early episodes are rather soft and processed-looking. Prints of all episodes show some dust and dirt - but it's not a total loss. Some of the worst shots are stock shots, and they looked bad when originally broadcast. Colors are a bit washed out on some episodes. I'd say the video is inconsistent, more than anything, and ranges from poor to fair/good in presentation. Later episodes seem better than earlier ones.

As to the grain mentioned in the review... grain is only a defect if it isn't a natural effect of the source elements.

-Scott

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
I'm pissed. Why would Paramount release unclean material? They cleaned Happy Days up... WHY NOT MacGyver?

In fact, the prints on TVLand and SpikeTV look a whole lot better than what you guys are making it sound like.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I wouldn't be to concerned by that one review. It's just that one review. The other review seems more positive on the video. I have watched the show when it first hit tvland and the season 1 episodes were in pretty bad shape. So i am not going to expect them to be perfect. But atleast they are the original broadcasts and not the syndicated cuts :emoji_thumbsup:

This set is mine come next week!

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

You have no idea what shape the source elements for those respective series was, do you? As for what it looks like on TVLand and Spike - there is no way you would see the softness on broadcast / cable / satellite. The resolution is too low. This is where DVD reveals flaws. Comparing the two mediums is like comparing apples and automobiles.

These aren't horrible... they just aren't really good, either. They are far above the disaster that was Anchor Bay's The Commish.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks