What's new

Why is 'TAKEN' coming out so quickly? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This is just nagging me, I saw this in the theater LAST MONTH and it's already about to hit DVD and BD.

If I had seen it in a cheap $1.00 theater I can see why because they're often the last stop for movies before they hit video but I saw it in a 16 theater multiplex over Easter weekend.

I can't recall the last time a film came out so fast, can someone please tell me why because i'm finding it very odd?

Thanks.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
It was released on January 30th, so that's not incredibly fast. It was still in first run theaters because it had great legs.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Additionally, this film was released in Europe well before the US (it is a French production; Luc Beeson), up to more than a year ago in France. Taken has been out on video, including Blu-ray, since back to November (France). Holding a video release in the US simply did not make any logical sense.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Yes, this does seem to be a very fast turn around. I saw it in the theater in March and here it is, almost here.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
No, David. Please read the other posts.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

The film was released in France in Februari 2008.

Cees

Loregnum

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
I wish all movies came out quickly on blu-ray and tv shows will hopefully follow the 24 season 7 idea.

Really, I do not believe there should be these delays as it seems simple to me. At most there should be a 1 month delay from commercial release:

-There are those who go to the cinema because they like it for various reasons, not because the movie is simply not available at home. This will not change if these are released sooner or even day and date.

-There are those who never go to the cinema and wait for the dvd/blu-ray. If anything, day and date or quicker home releases will sell MORE with these people with more impulse buys. Waiting 4+ months often makes a person not care about wanting to pick up the movie since they have moved on to another movie or item.

-There are those who see a movie in the cinema because of the wait and if the home version was released earlier they'd probably not see it the cinema although it is possible they would if they wanted the big screen effect or a night out.

I'd say the majority of people fall into the first two categories so really, the wait is silly and it needs to be updated.

As for TV shows, more would buy the sets right away (after all episodes have been filmed regardless when this occurs is during the broadcast schedule) or right after the season ends (like 24) than how it is now. They could easily charge a premium for it to be released before the broadcast version is done.

I am one of those who does not have any desire to go to the cinema and would no doubt buy more movies if they came out day and date with the cinema premiere or shortly (again, month max) after. As for TV shows, count me in as one who would buy the set if available before the broadcast finishes whereas now I pick and choose after these ridiculous 4-6 month waits.

It'd be nice if they would actually try this stuff out and see. I don't care if cinemas will make less money and TV stations will make less money. So many industries have had to adapt to technological change, specifically with the internet and have had to take financial hits because of it so it is time these home release practices are brought into this day & age.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
24 season 7 is something of an exception because of their large lead time due to the strike. There's no way in hell Battlestar Galactica could have been released so soon after the finale; the last episode wasn't finished until five days before it aired.

A one-month turnaround time sounds good. But that doesn't give them any time to produce extras. Even with a longer lead time, 20th Century Fox wasn't able to get the unrated cut of Live Free or Die Hard on the Blu-rays. You'd be lucky to even get EPK material if you're pushing discs out a month after a movie's commercial release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks