What's new

Why is SONY so slow to release catalog titles? (1 Viewer)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Sony was behind blu-ray from the start, but in the last 4 months little catalog titles have appeared or have even been anounced

Has SONY stopped issuing catalog titles?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Catalog titles probably just aren't selling for Sony. They seemed to do a fair number early on, but I suppose they just weren't pulling enough profit to justify the cost of remastering, etc. Of course, this doesn't explain why titles like Bad Boys 2 or Charlie's Angels 2 aren't on Blu yet.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Sony seems to have a fairly steady DVD release schedule, so it's a bit odd to see them struggling with Blu-Ray.

The Bridge on the River Kwai was their last big release, right next to the Criterion Hollywood box set, which was all Sony titles.

Outside of Taxi Driver, I'm not entirely sure. I expect them to pick up steam pretty soon

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I would have thought Sony would have been one of the studios that was in good position to release HD titles given that they have been doing HD transfers for years and most of them looked pretty good in their DVD releases, and should look even better in HD.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Well like everyone waiting for LOA, I am waiting for Sony to really start digging into the catalog titles, the ones that I have gotten have all been impressive, and more so for the fact that they are reasonably priced. But as time passes I wonder, yes I know that they have done wonderful things with the Harryhausen titles, but lets look deeper into the catalog, where are the Oscar winners, where are the Capra titles, where is Lost Horizon, where is A Matter of Life and Death (Stairway to Heaven), it’s Cary Grant films, Bogart films, Rita Hayworth Films; so much untapped potential just waiting.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I really hope Criterion gets the blu-ray rights to "A Matter of Life and Death" their other films have been treated so well by Criterion

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
LOA and AMoLaD, yes!

(Unlike many of you I'm not so much in favour of Criterion. I was - in the Laserdisc days, but not anymore. Their pricing is outrageous as well, IMO.)

Cees

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
As a Streisand fan where are Funny Girl and the Way We Were ? Sony did a full restoration of Funny Girl years ago which they released in movie theaters, then released a bare bones DVD. I guess Sony feels her pictures will not sell as they have released none of the ones she made for them in blu.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
[COLOR= black]Forgot the Streisand films, also Guns of Navarone, A Raisin in the Sun, On the Waterfront, From Here to Eternity.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]So many great titles, and part of the way to release catalog titles it name recognition. [/COLOR]

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Cees Alons

LOA and AMoLaD, yes!

(Unlike many of you I'm not so much in favour of Criterion. I was - in the Laserdisc days, but not anymore. Their pricing is outrageous as well, IMO.)

Cees

Ditto. I'll be happier if Sony releases their own catalog titles on BD (if they ever get around to them) as they're probably the most consistent quality label out there for BD's. Plus I don't relish the 100%+ markup just for the "Criterion" label, I'm certainly not going to beg for the privilege of spending more money.

oh and add Das Boot, Guns of Navarone and the remaining Harryhausen titles to my "where the f@#k is the Blu-ray" list. No point in bringing up the deeper catalog films I want if they're reluctant to release these.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Most of Sony's catalog titles are being released by Image, or at least 70's, 80's and 90's titles.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
My understanding on the Image/Sony deal was that it was a limited number of the back catalog, although they were quick to reissue a few titles that sony had already released such as about last night and St Elmos Fire. Now the question that i have is this deal going to change once MGM starts to get released thru Sony in September? are we going to see MGM titles being released by Image?

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by dana martin

My understanding on the Image/Sony deal was that it was a limited number of the back catalog, although they were quick to reissue a few titles that sony had already released such as about last night and St Elmos Fire. Now the question that i have is this deal going to change once MGM starts to get released thru Sony in September? are we going to see MGM titles being released by Image?

No. It is for unreleased titles in the Sony catalog also. Already announced are And Justice For All, Against All Odds, Random Hearts, Short Circuit 2, People vs, Larry Flynt, Awakenings, Jagged Edge, Jawbreakers and Money Train.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
funny because the Image release of About Last Night is going for about $17.50 on amazon at the moment, but the Sony version is $13.65, so yea the are dipping into so things that have been released

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks