What's new

Why is Panasonic so limited? (1 Viewer)

MikeSRC

Second Unit
I'll be at the Panasonic press conference at CES on Wednesday the 8th. Hopefully, we'll be able to put this to bed after then. The last word I got was that there were going to be more RP-82s shipped in January, but then it would be discontinued by March. We'll soon see.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
This kind of reminds me when Panasonic quit making the RV80 which used 54 mhz processing and may have been the best interlaced player made. It has so many valuable options. I am glad I bought mine when I did. I will keep it until I get an HDTV and progressive DVD player.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
This kind of reminds me when Panasonic quit making the RV80 which used 54 mhz processing and may have been the best interlaced player made. It has so many valuable options. I am glad I bought mine when I did. I will keep it until I get an HDTV and progressive DVD player.
I agree completely. I had an RV80 until I got an HDTV and switched to a prog scan player. The RV80 had a fantastic interlaced picture.

... and yes, the RP-82 only comes in one color, a chrome/silver combo.

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
I have one theory on why all the RP82's disappeared. Since this is not a normal line for Panasonic it is very possible that Panasonic uses the line for other models of DVD players. Because the of its popularity all stock was sold and now we have to wait until the next batch is assembled. Whenever that will be. Since the last ones will be built sometime between now and March it would be a good idea to try and snag one now or as soon as they become available.

It might be worth while to wait for the RP83. It is possible that it will be the same unit with perhaps a few extra features the RP82 is lacking. Of coarse it is also possible that Panasonic might cheap out the RP83 and add some extra features but then downgrade the video processing. Panasonic has a record of going cheap every now and again.

I think what I will do is pre order an RP82 and wait for when one becomes available. Since CES is next week we will learn here about the RP83 if Panasonic will even make one. If the RP83 is better I will cancel and wait for that one. If it is worse then I will hope and pray I can get one of the last batches.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
On a smaller volume DVD player like the RP82, they probably decide months in advance how many and when they are going to be produced. It's even possible that there was ONE big production run that was supposed to last the entire model year. Forecasting is a tricky business!

Panasonic normally shows new models to dealers at CES and announces them formally to dealers and the general public in early March, with availability on various items anywhere from January to September.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks