What's new

Why is DONNIE DARKO so popular? (includes DIRECTOR's CUT disc.) (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think what hurt this film is the poor way it was marketed. Most people think it's a teen horror film, which it is certainly not. Plus, when people see Drew Barrymore and Patrick Swayze on the bill they think "This must be garbage!"

It's a very clever film and very well made. The time travel element is really just a distraction in the original cut. It's only used as a tool to draw you into the story and create mystery in the story line. It works well in this respect because it keeps people wondering just what the hell is going on but really that's all it's there for. It's a trick to suck you in and it works beautifully.

I think Mr. Kelly did a fantastic job using his actors. I'm not a fan of Swayze or Barrymore but they are fantastic in this film. Perfect casting.

For some reason people invent a lot of stuff when they discuss this film...demonic rabbit? There is no demonic rabbit! This film is not horror and the whole sci fi time travel deal is just window dressing. There is no time travel machine...only discussion of time travel. The film does not use this discussion to drive the plot, it's only there to distract you. It's a red herring.

This really is an intelligent well made film.

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
a reason this movie is good is because it's not made from the hollywood cookie cutter. it was made by an individual instead of a corporate assembly line.

George See

Second Unit

That ad says "availability: Due for release on 04/10/2004"
I'm guessing if this were already out in Region 2 we'd know about it, so what's the deal?

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Ahem... for the ignorant, the rest of the world types dates like this: dd/mm/yy, not mm/dd/yy like in the US. Meaning this is coming out 4th october 2004.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
We just watched this a few weeks ago. It had such a forum buzz in so many places, and popped up on too many people's lists and recommendations.

What an awesome movie. My idea of what a good SF-slash-mindf&*#& movie should be. Waiting eagerly for the DC...

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
A good interview about the Director's Cut was posted up on the greencine daily (DVD rental service that specializes in Indie, Cult, Documentaries, etc - niche films) of which I am a member.

They interviewed Richard Kelly and a couple of the actors (Donnie's mom and Donnie's g/f in the movie).

Thought some of you would be interested.

http://www.greencine.com/article?act...&articleID=135

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Well, it opens in L.A. on Friday.
I'm going to drive out to see it, and I'm trying to figure out where it's playing at in L.A.

So far, all I have is the Laemmles One Colorado Theater.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I tried to find a listing of where it is showing to no avail. I hunted Michigan metropolitan areas and found 0 showings. Sucks, beacause we would love to go and see it.

Anybody know where there is a listing?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Dave,

right now it's ONLY opening in LA/NY on Fri, with wider release in about a month

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Just saw it yesterday at the theater I mentioned above.
I think its also playing at Arc Light.

Really loved it.
Liked the additonal scenes and music.

Not for me, but for others, it makes alot more sense and easier to understand, including my girlfriend.

GO SEE IT!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Having now seen the director's cut, I have to say I prefer the theatrical cut. As good as the restored material is (much of it familiar from the deleted scenes on the DVD), the extra 20 minutes really change the overall pace of the film, and much of the original sense of tension and foreboding dissipates. Still, as with most director's cuts, it's interesting to see how different choices play out, and I'd recommend it to any fan of the film.

M.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
for those who have seen the director's cut, and without spoiling anything for those who have seen the original film, how is it different? if we have seen the deleted scenes on the dvd, have we seen the extra scenes that have been placed in the director's cut? i plan to see the new cut anyway. i read somewhere (or maybe it was on the commentary on the dvd) that the scene where it is revealed that donnie's medicine is actually sugar pills
is in the new cut. i'm glad this movie got some attention, i saw the trailer for the original before it came out, i thought it was going to be another bad teen/slasher movie, and i stayed away. then i read some reviews on the htf and bought the dvd, i'm glad i did. "she lives up there in that piece of CRAP house and you know she's loaded"

CJ

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Much of it but not everything. There are new scene transitions that display relevant pages from the time travel book, almost as if they were chapter headings. There are also new FX shots involving close-ups of eyes (it's a little hard to explain, but you'll know it when you see it).

The scene you listed in spoilers is one of many scenes that have been added.

M.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob

Here's a link that lists most of the changes:
http://blowedupgood.blogspot.com/200...ut-is-out.html

Echo and the Bunnymen's "Killing Moon" is gone, replaced by INXS's "Never Tear Us Apart."

"Under the Milkyway" is gone from the Halloween party scene, replaced by a very different mix of "The Killing Moon." (UtM is heard briefly on a car radio, but it's not the same.)

Sparkle Motion dance group does not dance to "West End Girls" -- it remains Duran Duran and "Notorious."

Aside from the music changes, I still was blown away by this movie - and I still can't figure it out, so the changes didn't hurt. But the original version is the one I fell in love with - as long as both are available, I don't have a problem with it. Beautifully written, acted, and filmed - what more can you ask for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks