What's new

Why get TVs? (1 Viewer)

James R. Geib

Stunt Coordinator
My $3000 Pioneer Elite RPTV looks better than any $3000 front projector/screen combo I've seen.

To accommodate FP in my home I'd have to get an acoustically transparent screen, adding $1000 or more to my purchase. Just wasn't feasible or worth the price for me at this point.

In the future, with a dedicated room, I may go that route.

James

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
1. take electronics out of entertainment center.
2. move ec and tv upstairs to guest room.
3. put 53" rptv against wall where ec was.
4. stack electronics on top of right front speaker. (just hdcable box, vcr/dvd deck, reciever. sub amp on floor behind speaker)
5. rewire system.
6. enjoy BIG movies at home!!!

thats why i went with a rptv. also, terrible light control in the room, no place to put fp, didnt want cables all over the place.

ag.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Sacha_C, all I can say is I have seen people do it, and generally they are not near as happy as people with fp and dedicated rooms.

But if you find it works for you, I would like details, of windows drapes open and reading lights on, ect..ect.. while watching news and what not.

I mean, even like the FP room(s) at a fair amount of Brick and mortor stores, they keep the lighting to bright, for fp to look all that hot. And it is nothing even close reading, or fine work lighting, let alone large windows with natural like beaming through.

James R. Geib

Stunt Coordinator
If I had a dedicated room for my H/T (in the future I will), I would not hesitate to go the FP route, as it is, in my opinion, the best way to recreate a movie theater environment IF one has the funds.

For me, spending any less than $5000 on a FP system yields a sub-par FP system. Outboard video processing, the projector itself and a good quality screen can easily reach $5000, and that is on the very low end of the scale. $10,000 projectors are common, and a the very high-end projectors can pass the $60,000 mark. (Can you say "Barco"? I thought you could.)

For me, when I build a dedicated H/T room, I'll do it with FP, but to make me happy it will take a lot more money than my current CRT RPTV, which fit my current budget nicely.

For me, my CRT RPTV is the best I can get, given my room size, lighting conditions, budget, etc. I weighed my options, researched and auditioned for more than a year, and I ended up with the best product for me.

Arguably, a good FP setup will beat a CRT RPTV, DLP, LCD Plasma, etc, but that good setup comes at a premium price.

You can do FP for less, and many people are quite happy with an FP setup that cost them less than $3000, but that is a personal choice.

Just as some people would never by a motorcycle unless it said Harley on the side, even though a Honda Shadow would get them to the same destination while saving them gas money, some people would never be satisfied with a budget FP system, and that includes me!

James

Michael FF

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with: why waste money on a tv when you can get a great front projector that projects dvd's/HDTV, as well as regular tv. I use a scaler when I view regular tv (as opposed to HDTV) and the image is equal to/better than my tv.

James R. Geib

Stunt Coordinator
Here's another point while I'm at it.

In my room, my maximum viewing distance is about 9 feet, which equates to about a 45" recommended screen size for optimum viewing. That is based on numerous optimum screen size formulae.

I have a 50" display now, and it is on the verge of being too big for my current room.

I'd be wasting my money buying a front projector to project a 50" image in my room, and the image would not be any better than the calibrated picture I enjoy now. In fact, I'd hazard to guess that the projected image would not be as good as the image I achieve now using a CRT-based RPTV. I'd miss my true blacks!

Buying a front projector to project a 50" or less image would be like buying a Ferrari to give historic tours of Charleston, South Carolina.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
James, I dont agree at all.

I have a small room and thats exactly why my only choice is a projector, there's absolutly no room for a TV. I will be projecting a 60" image. Plus, by getting a projector you add 2-3 feet to your viewing distance since the screen is on the wall instead of on a huge TV that's a few feet deep.

And a $999 X1 gives a better image than any 50-60" TV in that price range, which is probably none.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Also, whenever I redesign my room, I'll be able to make a 70-100" screen, with a TV I'd have to buy a new one just to get a larger image.

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
No offense, but this is the dumbest question I have ever seen.

A FP might be perfect for you, but not for all. Why not ask why everyone doesn't drive the same car (or SUV if they are better then cars) or eat the same food? This is just plain stupid. Enjoy your FP, I'm sure it is perfect for you.

James R. Geib

Stunt Coordinator
Sacha,

It's great that a projector works for your room. However, in terms of picture quality, the X1 single chip DLP projector projecting a 50" image on a Stewart Firehawk is still not going to look as good as my RPTV, especially when viewing HDTV programming. Granted a combination X1 and quality screen would be about $800 less than what I paid given the price drop on the X1.

Additionally, much of mine and my wife's viewing is during the day, and we have a bay window, sliding doors and 3 other windows all within the same room (combination living/dining). Even with the faux-wood plantation blinds fully closed, there is enough ambient light to render a projected image useless.

That is why my CRT RPTV works for me, and why I didn't consider buying a front projector until I have a dedicated room. I think front projectors are great, and I want one as part of my H/T one day, but at this point in time it is the worst choice for me.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I need to see a good representation of FP with a lot of natural light, reading light, and/or fine work light about.

So far everytime I have put FP to that test, it has been the worst technology I have seen in that environment.

Please give more details of it in this environment please.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I am an avid astronomer, and I met some guy (also an astronomer) telling me about this entire idea like 5 years ago, I somehow wonder if he is involved with this. Such shapes usually have a focal point, the problem is getting it to work optimally without such a precise focal point. It is kind of optics stuff, I wish I could remember his name, but he was supposedly a semi-famous telescope mirror maker. It would seem to me that as you got closer and further away that the focus would at least change somewhat, but the eye should have its own margin of focus to compensate. might just be the cure for bright, even way bright FP!

Shawn_MM

Grip
This was a funny thread. Many things factor into a purchase for a HT room. Availability of a product to test yourself; if only two FP's are being shown in your entire city would you still buy one based on reviews (not me and thats why I didnt). Also distance from the screen; are you trying too hard to create an IMAX feel to your HT room. I just bought an Hitachi 60v500 and guess what... the picture is great and the size fits the bill (and that inlcudes depth with only 17"). Sasha my HT would make you eat your words.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
I only have 2 demos in city and I will still get a projectr without seeing the specific model in demo, anyway InFocus can send a free 10 day demo.

And no Im not trying to make an imax, I will project a 50" image that will be viewed from 10 feet, and a projector includes a depth of only 0", which is why I cant get a TV, there no way one would fit in my room.

Dean: I dont think theres any such thing as a 60" LCD monitor, the largest LCDs I've seen are 40" and cost a few grands, which give by FAR the best image quality I have ever seen, but past 40" you go to RPTV LCDs which is totally different and far from as good quality as an LCD.

Joel L

Auditioning
I can't bring my projector in the computer room and garage etc. Tvs can go virtually anywhere and does not cost as much and not a lot of theatre wizardry is needed.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
I dont understand, you're saying you cant bring a 5 pound projector to another room but you can bring a 100+ pound TV?

And Projectors cost much less than a TV for the image size.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Well that's a good response Sacha. Of course it's easy to move a projector assuming it's not mounted to the ceiling. Then of course there's the setting-up of the picture properly for keystone etc in the other room(s). And the screen. And then dealing with the light in those other places (my garage ain't too dark).

The arguments you have put forward so far are a mixture of complete sense and laughable nonsense.

N

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe I continue to read this thread. Sacha, you still haven't answered why everyone doesn't drive the same car? Your continued reluctance to understand why anyone would want anything different from you makes me wonder how your brain has the ability to power your internal organs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks