What's new

why downgrade? (1 Viewer)

htgeek71

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
Loooooong time lurker, first time poster (and maybe last.) I can agree in applauding the team for the monumental amount of work to migrate a website, but why take it 10 steps backwards? The site was on the same software as AVSForum before and there is so much lost now. What are the "benefits" of this new site?

confused and frustrated...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Why don't we wait for the dust to settle before we determine this is a downgrade? Not every feature is available right now. There weren't many fans of Huddler and I will be surprised if most on the board don't feel the change is an improvement.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
And just for some history, HTF switched to Huddler in July 2009. AVS joined up with Huddler last year.

My impression is many AVS members weren't happy with the change to Huddler. I don't know if their feelings have changed, but this poll is kind of interesting.

So it's all kind of relative what constitutes a downgrade / upgrade, at least in the initial conversion.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
htgeek71 said:
Loooooong time lurker, first time poster (and maybe last.) I can agree in applauding the team for the monumental amount of work to migrate a website, but why take it 10 steps backwards? The site was on the same software as AVSForum before and there is so much lost now. What are the "benefits" of this new site?

I'd be very interested in hearing what specifically you think is worse on this software - at least if you rule out items still being fixed. We're always looking for ways to improve - and this is one of those times when feedback is particularly valuable.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, if one has never been an active participant here, how can one fairly judge (and complain about) the quality of the software supporting the site? This isn't a webzine or the like afterall... And also as suggested, it's only Day 1, so give it a fair chance (as the old Huddler software was pretty awful in the beginning too and never completely satisfied for many)... But glad to finally have your participation... Cheers! _Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
One thing I do miss already is the My Subscriptions feed, but maybe the Notifications List will be a fine replacement? Not sure yet. _Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
htgeek71 said:

Frank you said you are a long time lurker so you know what a great place this is. Just give them time to get the new sw up to full ability and I bet you will be very happy.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Steve_Pannell said:
I don't know how the new site is going to work in the long run but I like the way it looks.
What specifically do you not know about in regards to how HTF is going to work? I played around a bit this morning and successfully found how to change all my personal information, follow (and get notification e-mails), reply, quote and navigate the forum. Believe me, I'm not a computer genius so if I can figure this all out without a manual, anyone can.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Frank-
Things are NOT where we want them to be and its going to be a busy few weeks for us getting them there. Having said that I would be very interesting in knowing what you think we need to add or change.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
With all of the bugs and things needing ironing out here on day one, I *still* prefer this forum's platform far better than the agonizing years on Huddler. This IPB style is so much more user-friendly from my perspective, that I'm very happy the change was made. I'll likely spend more time here than in the Huddler years. I hated its functionality, its clunkiness, its many bugs that never seemed to iron themselves out, and the awful search function. I had the worst time trying to find information on that Huddler platform. I've already used search successfully more times today than I had all last year!

Definitely not a downgrade to me.

Three cheers for the HTF guys!

Harry

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I only need 2 things (OK, maybe I don't need them, but they would be nice :) )

1. Subscriptions page.

2. The dropdown forum navigation (I do not like the Forum Nav pop up).

I'm not going to whine about the looks. But ease of use is very important to me.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
David Willow said:
I only need 2 things (OK, maybe I don't need them, but they would be nice :) )

1. Subscriptions page.

2. The dropdown forum navigation (I do not like the Forum Nav pop up).

I'm not going to whine about the looks. But ease of use is very important to me.
We are still working on importing subscriptions, its behind Avatars and images, so it might be a while before they are imported. New subscriptions can currently be found under your username on the top right as "Content I Follow" or you can bookmark this link: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=followed Adding links at the top and bottom of the forum is one of our top two design priorities. Forum dropdown navigation is one or two weeks out. The Forum Nav buttons at the top and bottom and the very basic dropdown menu at the temp are only temporary.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I come here for the content first, the format is second.

Frankly, Huddler ranked amongst one of the worst formats for a forum I've ever encountered. I'm already finding things here that I significantly prefer.. like a text entry box that actually seems to work without randomly losing my content, and an editor that inserts things I want. :)

Anyway, I'm figuring it will take a bit before full glory is restored, but this to me seems like we are starting out ahead of where we were. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Adam Gregorich said:
We are still working on importing subscriptions, its behind Avatars and images, so it might be a while before they are imported. New subscriptions can currently be found under your username on the top right as "Content I Follow" or you can bookmark this link: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=followed Adding links at the top and bottom of the forum is one of our top two design priorities. Forum dropdown navigation is one or two weeks out. The Forum Nav buttons at the top and bottom and the very basic dropdown menu at the temp are only temporary.
That is good news, Adam. So far, that is the only thing I do not like about the new software.

You guys are doing a fine job with the transition. Forum response time seems very fast, too.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Things do seem a lot "snappier" here as far as response time. Glad all of you are noticing that.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yes, it definitely seems snappier. I do also love the feature Mike touched on, where if a user updates a threat while you are composing a response you can see it and it doesn't lose what's in your text box. Actually, everything about the text box is a giant improvement.

Also, while not perfect, the search function here is WAY better than Huddler... not perfect, but way improved

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So far it feels like a very clean update to the conventional forum. It's working well, with a few missing details, and a few nice updates. On the desktop, I like the ability to save mid-edit.

I haven't really looked at it on the iPad yet. For all the problems with Huddler, they eventually released an excellent mobile version. Hopefully this new system works as well or better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks