What's new

Why do we stick with clamshell cases? (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I have always wondered this and despite lots of people favoring them, I cannot figure out why there is a drive for the kind of cases that often get used for DVD/BD. Why was there never a move to put these all on jewelcases (ala CDs) and just color them. You think it would lower shipping costs, be easier to inventory, and they could market it as more environmentally friendly as it'd waste a lot less plastic.

I guess I have always looked at casing as garbage. It just seems like layers and layers of nothing. Meanwhile, on this same subject, I understand how people are excited about the inserts, add on books, etc.. that they stuff inside of these clamshell cases. Which makes me also wonder: Computer software ditched the manuals YEARS ago. Why not just put all of this (and more) in a simple PDF in the data readable portion of the BD. The installed base of BD-ROM drives is growing leaps and bounds, and then we could print them whenever we wanted, and they would never fade or lose any quality from the day we buy them as long as we have them.

Just some thoughts.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I had a few DVDs in the early days that were in CD jewel cases. Maybe they were afraid people would not know what was in the jewel box? Is it a CD, is it music, a movie?

Maybe it was easier to steal in the jewel box?

Maybe it was harder to see what a title was on the display?

Remember when CDs first came out, they used the long box so it would fit on the record shelf, and it would be harder to put it in a pocket then walk out of the store. I remember reading about the love hate of the long box for customers, and retailer alike.

I hate the new eco case with holes. Seems like something always has to punch a hole in the art, or worse, the disc!

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
My understanding is the retailers wanted something that was about as tall as a VHS box but not as thick. They probalby didn't want to use CD jewel cases for fear that consumers wouldn't realise they were video instead of audio content. Also a taller case probably makes it easier to adapt film posters rather than a case that is square.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Delicate also doesn't begin to cover jewel cases. They practically crack just if you leave them on the shelf. I'm fine with the clamshells, although I do appreciate that BluRay went to smaller cases compared to DVDs.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I second Rick's comments there was no standard when DVD launched. Early Universal releases used the CD case, WB had the "snapper" case, others were using the DVD case and I think there was a fourth option our there. I dislike CD cases. It seems like if you look at one sideways the hinge tab breaks off.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I don't like CD cases either. I like the Bluray cases for the most part although some I do question on the design side.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Those are all valid reasons. I'm still wondering why more don't come with the info on the bdrom side. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Chris Farmer said:
Delicate also doesn't begin to cover jewel cases. They practically crack just if you leave them on the shelf. I'm fine with the clamshells, although I do appreciate that BluRay went to smaller cases compared to DVDs.
That's why I'm glad they didn't use jewel cases. The first DVD of The Terminator was some weird slide out drawer contraption. I still have the disc and the art but gori of the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks