What's new

Why do so many kids not like milk anymore? (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I read plenty of surveys and articles about the fact more and more kids don't like milk, but I do not recall any ever mentioning WHY they don't like it.

And where are they getting their calcium from now, if not from milk? I know broccolli for example is (surprisingly) supposed to be a good source of calcium, but I cannot see a kid who dislikes milk chowing down on a plate of broccolli.

Full disclosure here: I go through a gallon of skim milk about every 3 days.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Calcium is added to soy milk and almond milk, isn't it? I have to admit, even though I drink Almond milk (for cereal and shakes) I've never noticed if it has added calcium or not.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Maybe because the kids are given too much coke and other sugary drinks from a young age that they develope a dislike for something like milk. No idea why though.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
My son will go through a gallon of chocolate milk in a day if we let him. 2% takes him a few days. My daughter is lactose intolerant and goes through a 1/2 gal of soy milk a week. If she drinks normal milk, she has an upset stomach for hours. She does drink too muck coke though. When her braces came off we discovered 14 cavities!

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Random bit of useless knowledge:

Humans are the only mammals that drink milk after being weaned (despite all the mythos behind cats drinking milk, etc... that doesn't happen in nature). Indeed, many humans simply cannot properly metabolize milk (not even human mothers' milk) after being weaned. Moreover, the ability to metabolize milk by those humans who can metabolize milk after being weaned is actually a relatively recent genetic mutation -- many believe it is the very latest significant genetic mutation in our species.

What does this have to do with children drinking milk? Nothing. Except perhaps it raises the question regarding at what age children should stop drinking milk -- and, of course, rely on other, more appropriate sources, regarding their necessary intake of the relevant vitamins and minerals. Considering that feeding children milk is, in the general case, a substitute for breastfeeding, there is a lot of sound foundation for switching children to these other, more appropriate sources for the relevant vitamins and minerals at about the same time we'd expect to see children no longer breastfeeding. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
My favorite breakfast is my wife's homemade granola mixed with Greek yoghurt.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I have see people use beer in my younger years, but I don't think that would go over well at work.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Personally, I never liked the thick, creamy texture of milk. I felt like I was drinking a glass of slime. As a child, I frequently would ask for water when someone would offer me a glass of milk. I also don't like it as chocolate milk or milkshakes.

As an adult, I only use milk for the occasional bowl of cereal and in cooking. I probably haven't had a straight glass of milk since I was 10 years old. I buy it occasionally, but seldom use all of it before it spoils. In fact, I have an unopened quart in my fridge right now that I need to throw away. Bought it around mid-August and never used any of it.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
there really is no better match in nature than milk and cookies :)
i mean, you can't really drink anything other than milk with cookies (except coffee), because cookies themselves are sweet.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I never liked the thick, creamy texture of milk. I felt like I was drinking a glass of slime.
Besides the fat/calorie issue, this is the reason I don't like drinking anything but skim milk nowadays - just too much creeeeeeaminess. It took me awhile to get used to the relatively watery sensation of skim but after a week or so, I didn't notice it anymore (but we keep some whole milk around for cooking purposes; speaking of that: one morning I woke up very early and while eating my cheerios I kept thinking wow, these taste really good this morning. When I stumbled back into the kitchen for seconds, I noticed I had been pouring "milk" from the half-and-half carton. Oops. But that extra fat sure helped the taste!).

What does this have to do with children drinking milk?...........
Another of milk's benefits is that it contains a relatively high amount of protein, whey protein if I remember correctly, which a lot of muscle-building supplements contain.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I drink a lot of milk too. In fact, not sure what I would drink for dinner otherwise.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
We drink quite a bit of milk. Me, the wife, and son go through about 5 - 6 gallons a week. On the other hand, a two liter of soda will go stale in our fridge. A case of soda will last us a few weeks. Mainly because my son doesn't drink soda at all (he's 14). When he was little, we never gave him soda. He was probably 5 before he ever tasted it. And then he hated it (he thought it was "spicy"). He still doesn't drink it to this day.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My wife and I drink a lot of milk (2%), too. A nice tall, cold glass of milk is very refreshing for me. I drink both at breakfast and dinner (unless we are having wine).

On the other hand, I have not had a soda of any kind in over 4 years, and do not miss it at all.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Just finished a tall glass of milk with some powdered donettes. MMMMMMMMMM.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I drink milk, especially with coffee syrup added (thanks Rhode Island!) but my wife hates the stuff. My kids prefer chocolate milk but will drink the straight stuff if pressed. Neither boy likes soda which is a blessing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks