What's new

Why do people feel the need to eat in movie theaters? (1 Viewer)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
It's not the food that bothers me, moreso the noisy eaters. There's no excuse for repetitive lip-slapping or mouth-open chomping. People who do so are just lazy and slobbish. Get some manners or get back on the farm!

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
The rustling of potato chip bags get on my nerves, I usually just have a bottle of water when I go to the movies. I never eat anything though.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I used to work as an usher at a movie theater and what amazed me about people's food-buying habits wasn't so much that they would buy the stuff but that in many cases they would eat virtually none of what they had just bought. We would go through after the show and clean up and find tons of combo popcorn bags and drinks which were barely eaten but left behind on the auditorium floor. And I know they weren't refills because most people didn't bother taking advantage of that. *shrug* I figure if you're going to spend that much money on food, might as well eat it.
Of course the worst were popular kids movies, where the parents would give their very young children huge amounts of food, which the kids would then proceed to completely spill everywhere. As bad as it is going as a spectator, you really witness some baffling behavior when you actually work at these places :)

DennisP

Stunt Coordinator
This is really a pet peeve of mine. We go to the show 2 times a week to afternoon shows and you can bet that every Ma and Pa Kettle will show with goodies they have bought at the local "Qwikie Mart". All the crap they bring in is wrapped in a cleophene that makes the highest decible noise possible..and they will constantly be opening and closing this packaging throughout the show. Still others will bring in beverages with pop tops..so we also have the added enjoyment of listening to these "mini-geysers" go off during the movie too. I now know why elderly women carry "pillow-case" size purses. It to pack the thanksgiving feast when they go to the movies. Until recently I always thought that older folks were pretty "mellow" and nice...but since my exposure to these "theater banquets", I've had my mind changed. Heaven help anyone that mentions to them about the noise they make during the show.....they usually respond with terms like "as*hole" and "mind your own F*cking business". If only their grand kids to see how really sweet Grandpa and Grandma really are when it's feeding time at the show.

When I was a teenager (15 years ago) I dated a girl that worked at the theater. We would go watch 2 or 3 movies a week. Big purses were "in" at the time and we would always go by the local Walmart and pick out what we wanted. Yes, the coke can would pop as I opened it, but I always did my best to open in before the movie, during a trailer, and during a loud part of the trailer. Partly because I didn't want to disturb anybody, but moreso cause I didn't want to get caught.

My favorite memory is when I was with another couple and they wanted to get something to drink. I went to get it for them and the person at the counter filled it all the way up. As I was coming back to my seat, in the dark, trying to get pasted everybody that was seated, I spilled coke down everybodies back cause I had the cup tilted. I had no idea I was doing this, but my friend sat in his chair laughing his ass off.

I'm sure I wouldn't have thought it very funny if I was on the receiving end on the coke drippings. I'm thinking as sticky as the floors are in most theaters already, it's gonna get worse if they are serving pizza, nachos and all kinds of other stuff.

-Craig

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Is it just a part of human nature to consume things whenever we sit idle? Or is it just a conditioned response that has been branded upon us by theater exhibitors?
Yes, because theaters have to share film revenue but the concession revenue is all theirs. It is a bad idea to eat while watching TV and is part of the reason why people in the USA are so fat.

Najib_H

Stunt Coordinator
I hear you guys but what I hate the most is people and thier DAMN cell phones. Why the hell do u have it on ringer at the movies. Its so annoying and I hatethe people whose phones are going off and they are taking forever to answer them. All you hear is the ringer over and over. PICK UP THE DAMN PHONE OR SHUT IT OFF!!!!!!! Whew i had to get that out.
As far as food goes man its not even worth it it. The prices are so damn high, its like we are on another planet. A bag of M&M's is alomost 4 dollars and with a drink its almost 7 bucks. And when your with your women its even more!! Theater owners have got do something about that, I dont even buy anymore because its not worth it anymore. Its better to stay home and no annoying cell phones.
Najib H
My theater:
Link Removed
My car:
www.roninonline.com

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Donning Fire Redardant Suit
Ok well I suppose that this is not going to be a popular statement but I have to say that here in the DFW area one of the movies theaters that I still actually enjoy going to is called the Studio Movie Grill. It is a converted 5 screen theater where they removed all the normal theater seats and put in setting areas with small tables at various levels much like a small jazz club or a Vegas show. The best part is that it is a full service resturant. You order from a full menu and and even get beer and mixed drinks. The prices are in line with normal resturant prices. Think of it as a super sized home theater. Now I guess when you go to a place that this you know what you are getting yourself into but I think it is super cool. A movie and a dinner all in one :)
Now when I good to a "normal" theater then samll popcorn and a small soda are all I get.
Laters,
Jeff

Rob T

Screenwriter
I always like to have a bag of popcorn and a large coke (or sprite or whatever) while watching a movie in the theaters. It's sort of a tradition for me. :)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Personally, I rarely eat anything in the theater. One reason: Too expensive. But I have a close friend who has to have popcorn every time she goes to the movies. I don't get it. It's a habit, I guess. 'Course, my friend is about 80 pounds overweight, so...

Yesterday at LOTR I bought a different friend a medium Pepsi and a medium popcorn. $3.99 for the popcorn and $2.99 for the Pepsi. Un-fucking-believable. Movie theaters complain about people smuggling food inside -- well, it's their outrageous prices that lead people to do so.

Richard WWW

Stunt Coordinator
Some people should really lighten up.

I can understand getting upset at cellphones and LOUD talking, because these things are usually prohibited by theaters, and they even post gigantic messages to that effect during the course of the trailers.

But to get upset about people eating what the theater offers?! You're just asking for high blood pressure, with an attitude like that. Theaters exist to make money, and many of the larger cineplexes are finding that the best way to increase their bottom line (and many still aren't even really turning a profit) is to offer a wide variety of over-priced foods. More power to 'em.

If you don't like people eating in your theater, and if you think it is a widespread sentiment, by all means, open your own theater where no food is served and ticket prices are 15 bucks for the matinee, and 20 for the evening show. See how long your business lasts.

And lest you think I am one of the dreaded face-stuffers, I only get a popcorn or drink about every other trip to the theater, and then I only get the small popcorn and the small soda. I know that I am getting charged over 6 bucks for what amounts to about 15 cents worth of food, but that's ok. I am helping to support the cinema, which I really enjoy, and if I got the medium pop and popcorn, I'd be sick if I ate it all, or I'd end up not eating most of it.

I do, however, enjoy Hollywood Bar & Filmworks in Indianapolis, where I can get a reasonably priced burger or pizza or other sandwich, and even a beer if I want it. And the seats are not so close together, so if a movie really stinks, you can make fun of it without being too big of a distraction or annoyance to the people around you.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
This reminds me of a great quote from one of my friends, when him, myself and my dad were going to see AP2. We were smuggling in some candy, and I said, "What if they hear it in our pockets?" and my friend says, "Just tell 'em it's your balls rattling around." I just get a kick out of that one.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Until recently I always thought that older folks were pretty "mellow" and nice...but since my exposure to these "theater banquets", I've had my mind changed. Heaven help anyone that mentions to them about the noise they make during the show.....they usually respond with terms like "as*hole" and "mind your own F*cking business".
Tell them it is your business since they're ruining the movie you paid to see, then report them to the manager. They love to toss people for contraband food (or they'll at least confiscate it).

James_G

Stunt Coordinator
I only buy the customary gigantic box of Sour Patch Kids before every movie. :)
I do, however, empty the candies out of the plastic bag and into the cardboard container so I won't make any wrapper noises during the feature.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
And lest you think I am one of the dreaded face-stuffers, I only get a popcorn or drink about every other trip to the theater, and then I only get the small popcorn and the small soda. I know that I am getting charged over 6 bucks for what amounts to about 15 cents worth of food, but that's ok. I am helping to support the cinema, which I really enjoy, and if I got the medium pop and popcorn, I'd be sick if I ate it all, or I'd end up not eating most of it.
I do, however, enjoy Hollywood Bar & Filmworks in Indianapolis, where I can get a reasonably priced burger or pizza or other sandwich, and even a beer if I want it. And the seats are not so close together, so if a movie really stinks, you can make fun of it without being too big of a distraction or annoyance to the people around you.
Good for you. The majority of us don't have that advantage.
ps-- The anger reflected in my post is not directed at Richard. It's just that talking about loud eaters brings back some bad memories ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm one of those uncouth slobs who buys a large buttered popcorn and gets his 32 ounce cup refilled for $1.50 (Regal cinemas).

Movie viewing is a personal experience. Some like to do it with no seasoning (food/drink), and others like it with a lot of seasoning (popcorn, food/drink/etc). It's unreasonable to expect a totally quiet audience when a theater serves food/drink. That's part of the experience in going to the movies. I do like to reiterate that the more food someone is eating, the less they'll be apt to be talking.

I will admit to sneaking in chewable Spree and Skittles candy when I go to the movies.

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator
I usually don't mind other people eating, but boy do cell phones and talking drive me crazy! Going to movies like Shrek or Ice Age really tested my patience. Parents let their kids act like they're on a playground. And please don't act like you don't hear your baby screaming his head off, take him out of the theater as a courtesy to the other people trying to watch the film.

I really have no problem with theaters selling anything they want (pizza, nachos, pork chops,etc.). Like others have said they need to make money to stay in business. People should just be more considerate when they eat their food. That being said, I must confess, that I used to always get a medium drink and a box of snow caps. Until one day, I noticed how loud it was when I turned the box upside down to get some out. Now, I no longer get any boxed hard candy.

Richard WWW

Stunt Coordinator
Ricardo:

No offense taken. I really do wish that all those who are troubled by the sounds of chomping and smacking lips are able to avoid such bad experiences. I just really doubt that they will.

As for the remark about "no talking," I can't say for sure that I've ever been to theaters where they post "no talking, period" messages, but I have been to more than one that have made the request, "no loud talking." Now, in some neighborhoods, your chances of sitting through a movie without people yelling up at the screen and making wisecracks are about the same as your chances for being cast as Luke Skywalker's son in Episode 7. It's just the culture of the area. And in all other theaters, you know that in a crowded theater, someone is going to feel the need to whisper some comment to a friend. Are we saying there should be no whispering?

I like to go to theaters where they have the sound cranked way up. If you go to one where it's loud enough, you don't have to worry so much about someone whispering or talking quietly, because you can't even hear them if they're not sitting right beside you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks