1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do I see so many artifacts while watching STANDARD DVDs?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by AmusingistheDawn, Apr 2, 2010.

1. AmusingistheDawn

AmusingistheDawn Well-Known Member

It also happens when a bluray disc is on the loading screen...it shows artifacts almost like a vague white snow in the backround, but once the bluray is finished loading, it's crystal clear...except if I'm watching a standard DVD, then the artifacts stay throughout the movie and it sucks.

2. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    Do you have all the updates for your Panny BD35K? I have the BD30K and there were at least 8 updates to the firmware over the first year. Many improvements to playback (especially DVD playback).

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi
    please define artifacts.
    snow ? sparkles?

4. AmusingistheDawn

Sparkles I guess would describe it best. It's almost as if it is upconverting and filling in the missing pixels with white dots. It is very vague if you look quickly, but it is very noticeable if you are watching a movie. It only does it on standard dvd's and the loading screens on blu rays.

5. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    try changing out the HDMI cable and or bypassing the AVR (if you are using one).

6. AmusingistheDawn

My hdmi is run about 20 feet and is close, but not ran together, with speaker wire and power cable. I'm guessing hdmi isn't very sensitive to electrical noise since it's almost always in such close proximity to power cables in rack situations.

What is a good brand hdmi for such a long run? Maybe my cable just isn't up to the challenge.

I will bypass the avr and see what happens. If it does change, how do I correct the problem?

7. AmusingistheDawn

I changed the HDMI cable from the AVR to the PS3 player, and I still have "sparkles" upon loading screens, and during SD DVD playback. No sparkles during full 1080p blu-ray movies, only during the loading screens or if it's an SD movie. Before I replace the cable from the TV to the AVR, any other suggestions on why I have these "sparkles"? -thanks

8. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Well-Known Member

I'd speculate that it's the player at fault. Can you turn off SD Upconversion on the player, and let the monitor handle it?

Leo

9. AmusingistheDawn

It's not the player. I changed from a panny to a ps3, and I get the sparkles at the same points. I notice now that with netflix steaming...I see sparkles throughout the loading screen and during SD and HD movies. I have a feeling it is the cable from the Denon AVR to the TV. It's 15ft of cable. I ordered from monoprice a 22gauge 20 foot hdmi cable...so hopefully that fixes it. It's just wierd that it doesn't show up while watching dish network at all.