What's new

Why do car stereos look so goofy? (1 Viewer)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Hey, if you can get a Sony ES unit grab one, otherwise stay away.

I don't think Sony makes ES for the car anymore though.

Brent

David.G

Stunt Coordinator
Sony is crap! Don't get it. I'd say the Eclipse 3424 series is a good starter. I bought the 2003 model 8443, which is the top of the line. Incredible difference and is a beast. Has 10band parametric EQ( not like any parametric EQ i've seen, lets you adjust each of the 10 bands by 13 different frequencies, adjust the gain, and adjust the Q factor), then you got a 4way 6 speaker crossover, time alignment(with db level adjustment), DSP, and MP3 player. Cost me 420$ installed. Not bad for a model that retailed around 700$. Pioneers are also very classy and are solid beginer HU, i'd suggest the 460 or 560 believe is the ones that play MP3.

Mitch N

Stunt Coordinator
Wait for the CD500 from Nakamichi. It will have MP3 capability. It looks like their current CD400 model. It also has line level inputs for your minidisc.

Kevin Patterson

Stunt Coordinator
What About the panasonic ghost it has nothing on the front its just black but when it turns on its like a touch screen.

David.G

Stunt Coordinator
Nakamichi is overrated now since Eclipse has stepped in. Pioneer is in second place if you get 7600 or above. Alpine is good but at high volumes is weak. Panasonic relies on marketing gimmicks to hide their weaknesses. Really there are only 3 brands that are good from their low end to the high end, Eclipse, Pioneer, and Alpine. Each other company has a few good units but the rest suck. And any Sony is a piece and you might as well find a nice stack of papers and put that piece on it cause thats all its worth. Take any Sony car audio and place it there or maybe you can use it to hold up some books or something. Can you see that i don't like Sony at all.

Donald Aaron

Auditioning
Similar but different to what the original poster wrote, I need a head unit with an AUX IN to connect an mp3 hard drive player to the unit. I don't care if the unit can play an mp3-CD, because I have 25GB of 256K mp3s on my computer and I'm going to get a Creative Zen player (maybe the Touch when they bump up the HDD from 20GB).

The Eclipse CD8443 is supposed to have an AUX IN. Can anyone confirm this? Also, is it an RCA-type connector or is there a special cable required? Is it on the front or back of the unit? Anyone using it? Thanks.

Donald Aaron

Auditioning
Similar but different to what the original poster wrote, I need a head unit with an AUX IN to connect an mp3 hard drive player to the unit. I don't care if the unit can play an mp3-CD, because I have 25GB of 256K mp3s on my computer and I'm going to get a Creative Zen player (maybe the Touch when they bump up the HDD from 20GB).

The Eclipse CD8443 is supposed to have an AUX IN. Can anyone confirm this? Also, is it an RCA-type connector or is there a special cable required? Is it on the front or back of the unit? Anyone using it? Thanks.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Donald,
All the Alpine Ai-net units (and maybe the cheaper ones) have an aux input. You will need to purchse the Ai-net->RCA adapter cable ($15 or so).

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Donald,
All the Alpine Ai-net units (and maybe the cheaper ones) have an aux input. You will need to purchse the Ai-net->RCA adapter cable ($15 or so).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks