What's new

Why did DTS-audio CD flop ? (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Of the DTS cds I own I really would like to recommend Junior Wells, Come On In This House. It's on the Telarc label.
Jim
[Edited last by Jim Armstrong on October 21, 2001 at 07:17 AM]

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Lack of software and an unheathy prediliction with pretentious rock music.
Heheh, you probably were referring to a different set of music, but that's what I feel about DVD-A and SACD now. OK, not quite true and I do like many of the bands with stuff on DVD-A (I don't have SACD), but I can't be bothered to actually buy their stuff.
I'd personally rather see Massive Attack or Bjork on DVD-A than yet another iteration of The Eagles (even though I like them).
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
For me is their pricing of Cdn $46 including taxes per CD. They are too expensive. Even SACDs are not that expensive.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
It could be that DVD caught on because it can be a one piece upgrade for the masses. You can still benefit from an improved picture and extras on the disc without the requirement of doing an audio upgrade.
DTS requires a DTS capable player, a DTS cable receiver, 5 speakers and preferably a sub.
A recent upgrade to the Panasonic RP-91, meant spending additional dollars on 6 analog coax cables for DVD-Audio.
It is worth it to me (patiently waiting for the Dead's American Beauty DVD-A on 10/30) but seems to complex and expensive for the masses.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Compression on an audio CD? Not acceptable! And not necessary. DTS is no audio format.
Cees

PienSavaca

Stunt Coordinator
addressing the original question.....
1) because people don't feel the need to re-buy all of their favorite albums AGAIN.
2) because enjoying DTS-audio cds means being tied down to a room sitting in a "sweet spot". Those still waving the flag for vinyl would fall into this category. The rest of us would rather have a standard CD to use in a portable, in a computer, in a DVD player, in the car, with a fox, wearing socks, with green egg and ham....
------------------
"I got kissed... and, and, and I shoplifted."

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
All this reminds me of a question - has anyone heard of a DVD-Audio software decoder for PC ?
For what purpose? You can't output the audio anyway, and for 99.9% of computers out there, even if you could the sound quality would not be ideal, if only because of the audible case fan noise.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

Richard Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
PCM is not a compressed format. I don't think ppl would be very happy if they found all their CD's to be compressed :)
No, there is currently no software for DVD-A playback on a computer. Eugene, why do you think there is no way to output the audio? There are 6 channel soundcards out in the market place, and the elusive M-Audio Delta Theatre card (which one day hopefully will be released for purchase :)) claims the be 'DVD-A' ready. How 'ready' ready means is yet to be seen however. All we need is the software to decode the format, then pass it to the soundcard.
It is entirely possible to build a high-performance PC which has little or no noise output. Ok, you have to start pretty much from scratch, but if your intention is to build a quiet PC, you can have one.

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
Rob,
Most any DVD player made these days is going to have a digital coax or optical output. I just took that for granted but I did forget about using a CD or LD player.
------------------

Brian Glaeske

Stunt Coordinator
While PCM doesn't fit the strict definition of "compressed", I would consider MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing) performed on PCM for DVD-A compression, no?
The difference of course is that DTS is lossy and not lossless like MLP. But, you have to admit that DTS CD's sound more full than the CD versions, even discounting the multi-channel nature.
Brian G.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Compression on an audio CD? Not acceptable! And not necessary. DTS is no audio format.
You know I've heard this from many "audiophiles"[don't know if you one of them Cees],most who usualy don't care for numbers,becuse "we here music,not numbers"!
Go figure!
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
You know I've heard this from many "audiophiles"[don't know if you one of them Cees],most who usualy don't care for numbers,becuse "we here music,not numbers"!
Go figure!
Ha ha ha! Lewis I couldn't agree more. :) It's funny to hear "audiophiles" on one hand say "No compression!!!" and on the other say "I don't care about the numbers I'm only concerned with what SOUNDS more transparent!" I find it to be very funny.
For example.... ATRAC 4.5 or Type-R on MD sounds pretty fucking transparent! So does DTS on CD. If lossy compression can work so that it's perfectly transparent (or damn close) then why not embrace it!?
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Compression on an audio CD? Not acceptable!
As a point of semantics, you probably should specify that you mean "lossy" compression, unless for some reason you have a problem with DVD-audio's MLP compression. Conceptually, one could argue that SACD's storage scheme is a form of compression as well.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Richard Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
The difference of course is that DTS is lossy and not lossless like MLP. But, you have to admit that DTS CD's sound more full than the CD versions, even discounting the multi-channel nature.
I, unfortunately have no idea
frown.gif
I've never seen, elt alone heard a DTS CD
frown.gif
ANyone know anywhere in the UK that sells them?

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
It must be marketing. In the past four years since I started seeing DTS CDs appear, there has been a grand total of maybe 4-5 titlesof mainstream artists. SACD and DVD-A has passed up DTS CDs in total titles in less than a year.
Plus the B&Ms rarely stock DTS CDs regularly. It's always check every week until you see a re-stocked title. It took 3 years before I found a copy at of all places, Best Buy.
Every Breath you take is a good DTS CD, but with mixed results. While the later mutlichannel sounds from the Synchronicity are great, the earlier material like Roxanne suffer from simple production of three musicians spread over five channels, sounding a little too panned just to do something with the 5.1 mix and not make it sound like 1 instrument coming out of one channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks