What's new

Why can't I ship myself again....? (1 Viewer)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Just find someone who's going to the same place and ask them to declare you carry-on baggage. At least the overhead bin is pressurized.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
You know I probably could fit in someones carry on.

I'll just go swimming right before and shrink everything up and "Tada"!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
But what about insurance? I doubt that Fed-Ex wants to be responsible for human lives.
Hence the reason why people movers (i.e. planes, buses, etc.) are more expensive to ship people.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I thought most cargo planes used by UPS and FedEx are Airbus or Boeing and thus had a pressurized fuselage by design.
Still, based on the weight involved, it's cheaper to take a bus or to fly to New York than to ship oneself.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
So, seriously, ever heard of Greyhound if you have to be cheap?
Advantages: about 1/3 the cost (you can go cross country for about $99)
You can get up and use the restroom
Climate controlled
Ability to get food
Ability to breathe fresh air.
Oh yeah, did I mention: you can USE THE BATHROOM?
I mean, Christ, I get your need to be cheap, but come on, this has GOT to be a joke ;)
NY to LA: $198. (The website is high, call and plead)
Fly it for ~$350.
Or, you can SHIP YOURSELF with no insurance (commit a federal offense) and pay, for a 170lb package (you + crate weight) with size overage of diminensions that would hold someone 5'9" in a constantly crouched pose:
UPS Ground $337.80.
So, you spend MORE then a bus by a hundred bucks plus. And you save $20 over a plane flight.
Some how, this doesn't seem like a good deal :) BTW, FedEx is MORE expensive, $437, which would put you more then either the bus or a plane flight ;)

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I think you would get arrested for terrorism, or at the least, illegal transport of livestock. Or you would die.

AjayM

Screenwriter
Hmmm 149lb package with FedEx in a 36x30x20 box would cost nearly $600 for priority overnight. $450 for 2 day and $123 for FedEx ground. This is coming from S. Florida to NYC. Of course that is a one-way fare, so double them up for round trip.

Cheapest flight from S. Fl to Newark is under $200 round trip for coach. $660 for first class.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Why not use the tried and true hobo method of hopping on a freight train? If you've got the time to spare and can roughly research the routes then it seems like the cheapest and most exciting way to get there. Go do some wind sprints on gravel and jump onto some ladders to get ready.
Brad

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Brad Porter said:
Why not use the tried and true hobo method of hopping on a freight train? If you've got the time to spare and can roughly research the routes then it seems like the cheapest and most exciting way to get there. Go do some wind sprints on gravel and jump onto some ladders to get ready.
Brad

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
AjayM said:
Hmmm 149lb package with FedEx in a 36x30x20 box would cost nearly $600 for priority overnight. $450 for 2 day and $123 for FedEx ground. This is coming from S. Florida to NYC. Of course that is a one-way fare, so double them up for round trip.
The original poster would need to lose weight. He said he was 153, and once you exceed 150 lbs., most of the shipping options at decent price points are no longer available.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
They have no desire to deal with the waste product of you sitting in a box all night. Neither do you ;) Just for the serious answer, of course.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
NY to LA: $198. (The website is high, call and plead) Fly it for ~$350.
Be thankful you're living in the USA. In the UK, a rail ticket for Cardiff to London (a journey of at most two hours, provided the train doesn't break down, get re-routed via Edinburgh, or have to stop because of leaves on the line - the last is NOT a joke, by the way) could cost more than that. But returning to the question:
I have a friend in NY that I would like to go visit, but I don't wanna spend the money.
There's a simple and really cheap way to do this that's utterly legal: get your friend to visit you instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks