What's new

Why are there so few female members of the HTF? (1 Viewer)

Janna S

Second Unit
I'm here, but I'm not even a HT chick. Heck, I make do with an old VCR that doesn't even have a record function, and I only got a big TV when someone gave me one as a gift. I'll get a DVD player one of these days, but I am just not that interested in having lots of 'stuff' anymore. I spend as much of my free time as possible in my cabin 100 miles away in the woods near Talkeetna, where I have no electricity and no running water. Up there, electronic stuff is superflous - it belongs to another world (although I do admit I had my Replay wind-up radio on all morning today - I crranked it and cranked it and cranked it - so I could listen to the news of war).
I stumbled onto this forum through the Imdb, and I lurk frequently. I post occasionally (including photos), but while some threads are fascinating and some members are articulate, many are uninteresting. And as my mother used to say, "If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all."

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Ah, home theater! The last bastion of male superiority!
biggrin.gif

------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain
[Edited last by SteveGon on October 08, 2001 at 12:23 AM]

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Matthew, what happened?
I broke my left arm while playing a game of tackle football. I was about to tackle the QB and somebody came up to me, tackled me, and I landed on my left arm (ouch). Whoda thunk that such an innocent game of tackle football ends up breaking a guy's arm?
biggrin.gif

Hopefully some female members will pop up out of the woodwork and say "Awww Matt, I'm sorry." :)
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Nahhh Matt, that only happens in the commercials.. Since I'm not female I'll just have to laugh...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Hey Janna, has it snowed up there yet?
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Why so few female members? Maybe because we all use our real name here. If we were permitted to use alias's I'm sure that there would be a few more "females".
------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

brentl

Senior HTF Member
And who says that some of the males here aren't really females???
Steve and Matt seem to get upset at every comment sent their way :)
Brent L
Doctored picture of Matthew with makeup and curly hair REMOVED because he was eerily attractive as a female :) :)
Kidding!
------------------
OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
MEETS PAGE and register.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Hey, Janna!
You are the lawyer from Alaska! I remember you
wink.gif

--
Holadem - and your picture

Janna S

Second Unit
Hey, Jay. No snow here yet (at least not in Anchorage - I hear it snowed but didn't stick in Fairbanks last week). And it stopped "raining oil" up near Livengood - they got that hole in the pipeline plugged, and got the oil flowing again, finally. 300,000 or so gallons, the third largest spill in Alaska history, all due to a whacked-out drunk doofus with a rifle (according to his brother, a witness). And here I naively thought there were all sorts of redundant safety systems - but no, one joker took out a billion dollar pipeline with one bullet!

Michelle Schmid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michelle Holloway
"Awww Matt, I'm sorry." :)
To answer (honestly and without hostility!) the question at hand, however, perhaps it's comments like these:
And who says that some of the males here aren't really females??? Steve and Matt seem to get upset at every comment sent their way
I assume that's to mean females get upset at everything that is said to them?
Or perhaps it's threads titled, "Is it too much to ask for a nice, uncomplicated girl?" (in which the poster actually seemed to be seeking advice, and then forum members went on and on pointing out women's various and, it seems, MANY faults)?
Now, don't get me wrong, I think most of these posts are hilarious, but I'm not really sure a lot of other women would. There is something already intimidating about posting to a forum in a, well, let's face it, a male-dominated category. There are probably many females who read this forum, but won't post for fear of being laughed at or not taken seriously. I don't know how many times I've asked the salesperson in a car dealership, hardware store, or electronics store a question and had him turn to my husband to answer it! Um, it's MY question--wanna talk to me? No? Then see MY money walk away. It happens all the time, believe me. Just like references to women in this forum are, well, usually funny, but less than flattering. Why invite more?

Karen Maraj

Agent
and another one! I'm actually more the software person in the relationship, my SO likes dreaming of hardware we can't afford. Seriously, I'm a member here.. he's not.. I manage our 'to buy' list for every Tuesday, he says.. ok!
------------------

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hi Janna, didn't hear about the pipeline thing, but I know when we were riding outside Fairbanks, the road would go right by the pipeline and all there was was a 10ft fence in between the pipeline and you. There would be a place to park and a huge tourist sign and the pipeline would go underneath the road and have these huge heat "sucker" things to transfer the heat from above the ground to below to keep the pipe from freezing as much as possible. Wouldn't be hard at all to jump the fence and stuff. We've had some snow flurries down here in the continental US, put mostly up in upper NY state.
It was a cold commute in to work today, the first below freezing commute for me. I was bundled like a baby with my ear warmers and fleece jacket over bike jersey and a coolmax undershirt. Winter gloves and bike tights and the works! All I need is a warm overboot over my cold toes and I'm set..
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Brad_W

Screenwriter
This is going to sound really weird, but my wife's name is Janna. You are the only other person I've heard of with this name. There is a pic of her on my home page (page 3). Very bizzare.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Or perhaps it's threads titled, "Is it too much to ask for a nice, uncomplicated girl?" (in which the poster actually seemed to be seeking advice, and then forum members went on and on pointing out women's various and, it seems, MANY faults)?
There were some of us that were wondering about the original poster's obsession with a woman who just terminated a relationship. Not all of us were pointing out her faults.
biggrin.gif

------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Eric Scott

Second Unit
quote: wanna talk to me?[/quote]Yes, I want to talk to you! Face to face, I rarely meet women who are intimidated by men. Intimidation requires two attitudes (no matter what the gender) One is dominating and other is submissive or passive, neither position is secure, nor permanent and often changes for the same person, i.e. employer to employee/parent, parent to child, sibling to sibling, wife to husband and vise versa. Their are many kinds of intimidation. For instance, a common type is when drivers slow down from 70 mph to 55 mph when they see a trooper who has pulled a car over on the side of a highway. (Of course, that’s when I speed up! :)
The key is not to be overcome by fear, but to evaluate the strengths and weakness of both yourself and "supposed intimidator" and weighing the importance/worth/risk of confronting them. As you know, a smile or smiley may be enough to neutralize an aggressor, if honey doesn’t work and you do not want to walk away, it may take vinegar, maybe even acid. Physically, all intimidators can be subdued, (although some risks may be required) but that is not what we are talking about.
When born, men and women are opposites, for good reason, and I have no objections! By nature we are different, and as in all of nature aggressors will emerge. Civilized behavior is not natural, it is demanded and forced upon us to create peace so there is safety and comfort. (More for some than others.) On this forum, as in our society and world, rules and law prevail through intimidation. (Of yet another sort.)
The men here often talk like they are alone with each other because they feel alone, (I’m not defending their comments) but the fact is, they do have attitudes, it is clear. Should they not be able to express them? Do you or I have to agree with them? I think not, just as we do not have to like the same movies.
The topic was: "Why are there so few female members of the HTF?" But I did not hear in that topic the question, "Are we men making the forum too uncomfortable for women?" I heard, "I wish we had more women on the forum?" The women that I mostly know of here, like Marianne, Julie, Rachel, Janna, Karen and you do not seem intimated. I think that each one of us, men women chooses for ourselves which threads we care to respond to, and make some judgments on the mental makeup of the posters we read. But, I try to maintain a " live and let live" attitude (as much as I can) no matter how strongly I may disagree with someone here.
I always try to keep in mind that I am online, and even though many members will attempt to put up a online facade the guise fades, the mask slips slightly allowing glimpses that reveal much of those hidden faces. (I wouldn’t want it any other way!)
Why would you want men to hide who they are, would women be happier if men "pretended" to be Knights in shining armor?
BTW, Men can be intimidated by other men, look at the possible implications of this post by Count Mr. Christou: "Why are there so many male members on the HTF?"
crazy.gif

WRITTEN BY ERIC’S GHOST WRITER’S MAKEUP ARTIST "AWAITING STEVE’S REVIEW"
[Edited last by Eric Scott on October 09, 2001 at 12:56 PM]

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Simple answer: there are much fewer women interested in technology. Therefore, there are fewer women interested in home theater. Therefore, there are fewer women on HTF.
My girlfriend would get really pissed off at me when we rented a movie and I wouldn't get it unless it was OAR, or if I would go through the audio menus to make sure we were using the best sound option before watching the movies. "Why can't you just watch the movie?" She's not stupid, she understood all this stuff quickly after I explained it to her, but she just didn't care.
Men are more into cars, heavy metal, football, and electronic gadget thingies.
And please let's not have anyone lecture me about how I'm generalising. Yes, I'm generalising. That's how we discuss and analyze a group of people and it's the only way to answer the question posed by this thread.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Eric, when I said "Why are there so many male members on the HTF?", I was actually saying "Why are there so many dicks on the HTF?", no just kidding,
laugh.gif
I only thought of the sexual metaphor after I posted, really. :)
It's the female members that intimidate me on the HTF, especially Marianne with that sharp tongue and quick wit of hers, brrrr, only joshing baby. :)
Home Theater is mainly a manly hobby I would mainly guess, I don't personally know of any female acquaintances who have the slightest interest in it, my Sandra would be just as happy watching a movie on a normal sized tv and with mono sound, in fact she tells me to turn down the sound when I put it too loud, and I usually shout back "WHAT DID YOU SAY I CAN'T HEAR YOU?", which pisses her off even more, heh heh.
So Eric the Scott your somewhat rambling but entertaining post had some interesting points to make, which for the life of me I can't find. Wait! No false alarm, I'll keep sifting thru it...
wink.gif

POSTED BY MAINLY MANLY STEVE.

Eric Scott

Second Unit
Marianne with that sharp tongue and quick wit of hers
So, for example, in this statement did you mean, Marianne does not have a sharp tongue and quick wit? Were you "only joshing" about her tongue? Or, were you "only joshing" about her wit? If she doesn’t have a "sharp tongue" what kind of tongue do you think she has? Have you ever seen her tongue? Do you want to see her tongue? If you were "only joshing" about her quick wit, what kind of wit do you think she has? If you were to see her tongue, will you be thinking about her wit? Do you think I’m "just kidding?"
crazy.gif

WRITTEN IN DIM LIGHT FROM SOFT MEMORIES IN ERIC’S DYING BRAIN CELLS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks