1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are syndicated episodes so bad?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ChadKo, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Well-Known Member

Bryan Tuck

I think Voyager had some music replacement on one of the seasons; I'm not sure which, though. I didn't watch Voyager much. However, it seems weird; by the time they got to Voyager, Star Trek already had a history with more than one video format, so you'd think they would have acquired the rights for any future format.

Actually, I think in the original series episode, "The City On the Edge of Forever," there was a song that was replaced in the VHS and LD versions, but was actually restored for both DVD incarnations.

I agree, though; Trek fans (especially TOS fans) would have been up in arms if the episodes had been cut.

2. BradleyK

BradleyK Member

Although obviously I would vastly prefer the original, uncut versions, there are occasions where I would consider purchasing sets that included syndicated episodes.

For me, it comes down to this: would I be able to watch this show on television currently (or am I likely to be able to) in generally the same format as the DVD set? If so, then I will not buy the set. I can watch cut episodes of Roseanne anytime I want in syndication, and that coupled with the lackluster extras on that particular set means that I have no reason to purchase it. I might reconsider if I felt the series was not likely to be a good seller, and I was concerned about poor sales affecting the possibility of future sets. As well, if the extras were phenomenal, I might also consider buying sets with cut episodes.

However, if I know I will have little chance of seeing a show in syndication ever again, and especially if it is a show that I haven't seen for a long time (or maybe not at all), I may be willing to overlook the inclusion of syndicated episodes. I purchased The Doris Day Show Season 1 after hearing that the episodes were cut. I had never seen the show before and had always wanted to, and figured this might be my only chance. That factor, plus the great job done with extras on the set, made it a worthwhile purchase for me. (Later, on this forum, I learned that the DDS episodes had actually not been cut, but just sped up so that the running time was shorter by a minute. Now that I know that, I believe I can hear it in some of the music, but before knowing, I never noticed it.)

3. ChadKo

ChadKo Well-Known Member

The bottom line for me is- I want the original episodes but I will take what I can. However- the corporations need to realize what we REALLY want and, even though I will purchase syndicated episodes if only they are avaiable, many people wont.

Chad

4. Ravi K

Ravi K Well-Known Member

That is the main point for me. It would be nice to be able to watch whatever episode I want at any given time, but I'm not going to shell out money for versions that are already on Nick at Nite and a local station. I wouldn't buy a syndicated version of a movie, so why would I buy an syndicated version of a TV show?

5. Allen_Kir

Allen_Kir Well-Known Member

I love Lucy, Thank god, is uncut or else we would have lost more that a few seconds of the original.

Does anyone know if Fresh prince of bell air was cut on DVD??

6. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Well-Known Member

Even recently made shows like BUFFY get chopped in syndication on FX and Buffy only runs about 43 minutes uncut! So 17 minutes of commericals per hour is not enough for these channels! They have to have more. I've never timed a Buffy ep. as I refuse to watch it edited but I'm curious how much they do chop out...

7. MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein Well-Known Member

Misha Lauenstein
    No one has mentioned Canadian versions. The Canadian stations are allowed to show more commercials than the US ones (about 1/2 minute more per 1/2 hour in prime time, I believe)

This means that those of us who originally saw the Friends, The Cosby Show, Roseanne or Seinfeld on Canadian channels have NEVER seen the complete episodes.

I used to seek out the US airings wherever possible, but once the Canadian stations started aligning their programming schedules to the US networks, the cable companies were then in a position to air the Canadian signal on the US channel (in order to make us watch the Canadian ads) therefore effectively screwing us out of
    a) part of the show
    b) the US network promo spots

I always wondered if the 30 seconds cut out of the Canadian airings were the same as the syndication cuts.

I think, based on the 'feel' of the show, they usually just cut the first 30 seconds off the third act (coming back from the second commercial break) because they always cut back in while the audience was laughing their heads off.

8. Eric_Bee

Eric_Bee Well-Known Member

Interesting, and ironic, as I've read that the Canadian Comedy Channel runs older US sitcoms, such as the Bob Newhart Show, uncut.

9. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Well-Known Member

It's uncut.

10. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Well-Known Member

11. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Well-Known Member

This quote sums up my feelings pretty well.

If I want to watch Roseanne the syndicated version, I can turn on Nick at Nite. If I want to watch the Cosby channel in syndicated form, I can pick a ton of different channels.

So if I can watch those for nothing but the cost of my cable bill, which may not even be a factor if its a network channel, why would I want to pay money for those same things?

I will buy a syndicated set on DVD, but the situation has to be exactly right, and one major factor is that if I can find the show on TV, I won't buy it syndicated no chance.

Third Rock from the Sun is not syndicated around here, so I don't mind it as much, although the fact that it was syndicated was not something that I was aware of until after I bought the DVD which also pisses me off.

12. Ryan L. Bisasky

Ryan L. Bisasky Well-Known Member

for the simpsons, on the season 2 episode with dustin hoffman, don't they cut out a scene when he goes in Magge's room (or am i thinking of the episode where Homer eats the bad fish and supposingly will die.