What's new

Why are hardly any current A/V componets not available in black anymore? (1 Viewer)

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
(First, didn't know which forum to post this on, moderators please feel free to move this, if not appropriate for this forum.)

I own a gorgeous black equipment shelf, and these current silver components just do not do it justice.
This really bothers me, manufacturers (though a few do)can at least give us a option of black or silver.

Just had to rant, this current trend has really botherd me these last few years.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I don't know, I have all black components despite the fact that I don't really like black. I grew up with a stereo system made up mostly of late-70s and early-80s components, all brushed or polished aluminum, but that kind of fell out of fashion for quite a while. I don't know that it's an improvement that things have swung back the other way somewhat; I think it's just another one of those meaningless but annoting changes. Heck, why not anodize the aluminum faceplates and covers in jewel-tones or prints instead of just plain, balck, or "champagne"?

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
I'm with you Dean. It can't be too hard to at least give us the option of getting it in black.

If you're just replacing one component it sticks out like a sore thumb.
TV's are goign that way too, drives me batty

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
Especially on T.V.'s. Components could be hidden if you wanted to but the t.v. sticks out all the time. They should at least offer face plate options.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
I must be shopping at all of the wrong places because I can't seem to find enough silver components at B&M retailers. Pioneer doesn't offer any of their receivers in silver (I do have to admit that the Elite line looks better in black), which is disappointing to me (Denon does, so they can expect business from me in the future).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Why do they limit the components' colors to black and silver anyway? Why not custom colors to match one's room?

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
You could always put shelving paper on them. Maybe wrap them in Christmas paper during the holidays.....:D

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
When I got into audio, waaaaay back when, practically everything was brushed aluminum. Some more expensive stuff was given a "champaigne" look; some was like burnished gold. Then everything went black. My Pioneer LD-S2 LD player looks fabulous with it's highly polished black finish (in fact, it's still one of the best looking components ever made) but it's the only black component I own that does.

I'll take the new looks.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I can deal with actual metal brushed silver gear, but what I can't stand is PLASTIC silver components....which just end up looking like shiny light gray to me. My own Pioneer DV-656 dvd-audio player is like this and sticks out nastily among all my other black Technics gear.

And silver TVs-especially big RPTVs-look like poo.

For some reason it seems some designers think everyone lives in those chrome/white/Kate Moss-esque furniture "hi-tech" homes pictured in so many of the gear advertisements (every time I see these types of interiors, I think of a line from Ferris Bueller, when he's talking about his buddy's homelife: "His house is like a museum. It's very cold, it's very beautiful, and you can't touch anything.").

But Pioneer, Panasonic and RCA are now (finally!!!) selling all-black plasmas (LCD for RCA) and they look super-cool.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
It goes in cycles, right now silver and brushed metal are on the upswing and have been for a couple of years.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit

So true! A return to the late 70's and 80's! I remember at one point being po'ed because the only thing I could get in a new component was that @#$! black that didn't match all the rest of my stuff which was brushed metal and wood trim.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I dunno, maybe because it’d be a logistical nightmare for the manufacturers? And what if your wife decides to re-paint the room?

I had a stack of silver gear back in the 80s that just screamed “LOOK AT ME,” and I loved it. Back then I wanted everyone to see my system. Black is more subtle and fades away in a dimly lit room, and these days I prefer that (although I still like the LED:’s and displays). I’ll pick and choose my gear from whatever black’s available.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John S

Senior HTF Member
I just find no matter which color I want. The component I buy is always available only in the other color.

I gave up on it. :)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i'm with the "black only" camp. i wont buy any silver components. try finding an all black laptop! apart from ibm (lenovo), it's not too easy anymore.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks