1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

WHV Press Release: Warner Archive Collection adds 22 more classic titles (5/7/09)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, May 7, 2009.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION ADDS 22 CLASSIC MOVIE TITLES TO ITS RAPIDLY GROWING ONLINE SERVICE INCLUDING “FREEBIE AND THE BEAN” “JOHNNY EAGER” AND “SOLDIER IN THE RAIN”

“Tarzan” Starring Lex Barker Offered for the First time Ever on Home Video; Bettie Davis, Jackie Gleason, Alan Arkin and Numerous Legendary Actors are Now Available

Burbank, Calif., May 7, 2009 – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group (WBHEG), today announced that 22 additional classic movie titles have been added to its popular Warner Archive Collection (WBshop.com - The Official Online Store of Warner Bros. Studios: Warner Archive) online service including, “Freebie and the Bean” starring Academy Award®-Winner Alan Arkin and Academy Award®-Nominee James Caan, and “Soldier in the Rain” starring Jackie Gleason and Steve McQueen.

Also announced today, for the first time in any home video format, the Warner Archive Collection is offering five classic “Tarzan” adventures starring Lex Barker as the legendary “Lord of the Apes.” To celebrate, these films are being offered at a special price when all five are purchased together. In addition, films starring Hollywood legends Olivia de Havilland, Robert Taylor and John Garfield also debuted today including “Johnny Eager,” “Pride of the Maries,” and “Princess O’Rourke.” Like other Warner Archive Collection titles that are released in widescreen, “Soldier in the Rain” and “Freebie and the Bean” make their debut in 16x9 enhanced widescreen format. Currently the Warner Archive Collection offers 191 timeless movies and by year’s end will have more than 300 titles online.

Spanning more than 60 years of filmmaking, the Warner Archive Collection offers movie fans access to Warner Bros. Entertainment’s unparalleled film library consisting of pre-1986 MGM, RKO Radio Pictures and Warner Bros. Pictures films. These timeless classics can be downloaded or purchased on DVDs that are made to order for the customer using a state-of-the-art Manufacturing on Demand (MOD) process. For a complete list of titles visit WarnerArchive.com.

WBHEG recently launched an exciting podcast series titled “The Golden History of Hollywood.” Hosted by George Feltenstein of Warner Home Video and available on iTunes (Apple - iTunes - The world?s most popular digital media player.) and numerous online sites for free, this series takes movie fans back in time to the “Golden Era” of Hollywood. “The Golden History of Hollywood” features captivating archival recordings from Warner Bros.’ vault including behind-the-scenes interviews with stars, radio editions of movies from the “Lux Radio Theater” and MGM’s “Good News” radio programs and much more.

The following new titles will be added to the Warner Archive Collection this month:
    Above And Beyond
    All The Brothers Were Valiant
    Billy The Kid
    Bye, Bye Braverman
    Castle On The Hudson
    Fallen Sparrow, The
    Four Daughters
    Freebie And The Bean
    Great Garrick, The
    Hard To Get
    Johnny Eager
    Party Girl
    Pride Of The Marines
    Princess O’Rourke
    Skin Game
    Soldier In The Rain
    Tarzan And The She-Devil
    Tarzan And The Slave Girl
    Tarzan's Magic Fountain
    Tarzan's Magic Fountain
    Tarzan's Peril
    Tarzan's Savage Fury

To order their movies, fans visit WarnerArchive.com, select their titles, and upon purchase, a state-of-the-art manufacturing on demand (MOD) system creates a made-to-order DVD. The system places the DVD into a hard plastic Amaray case featuring custom artwork; shrink wraps it and ships the finished package to the customer which arrives in approximately five days. The cost per title is $19.95, plus shipping. Alternatively, consumers can purchase digital downloads of these classic films to enjoy immediately on their PC. The cost for a digital download is $14.95 per title. Warner Archive Collection is currently available only to consumers in the United States.

2. cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly Well-Known Member

Willard
    When are they going to announce any tv series?

3. John Hodson

John Hodson Well-Known Member

John
    Pity they didn't mention what that 'special price' for the Tarzan titles is; I suspect it will still make me go: "Noooooo-eeeeooooeeeeooo-eoeoooooooo!'

4. Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust Well-Known Member

What's the special price for ordering all five Tarzan movies? The shopping cart doesn't show any special price when all are added.

5. Frank M

Frank M Well-Known Member

From the chat transcript March 23:

Why? How much longer do the consumers from all the other countries in the world have to wait? How long is SHORTLY? Is our money not good enough? Don't we deserve your films? American films for American People only? There are 6.7 billion people living on earth, but only 0.3 billion live in the US.

Please give us hope... It's very hard to bear these press releases when one is not allowed to buy the films.

6. Marcel H.

Marcel H. Well-Known Member

But, imho, it's useless to have international shipping available when you have to deal with UPS, the shipping costs and their brokerage fees. I'm not willing to pay such a huge amount of money.

Movies Unlimited can be an alternative, I mailed them and they said, that they plan to stock all Archive titles after 90days and they hope they have the first titles available in July.

7. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Well-Known Member

Scott
    They keep mentioning this podcast but I have yet to run into the darn thing. Has anybody else heard it?

8. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    They did open it up to international customers a couple weeks back, and then everyone was pissed off that it was so pricey. So then they stopped. I suspect that means they have had to change their plans, and that the statement from the chat therefore no longer applies.

In summary: International shipping did arrive "shortly". And everybody hated it. So now you'll have to wait again.

9. Livius

Livius Well-Known Member

I don't know why international shipping was suspended, but I seriously doubt that's the reason.

10. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Well-Known Member

That's the question some of us are wondering as well. I'm mainly interested in 2 of the Barker's but if the discount is low enough I might get the other Barker's.

11. Charles H

Charles H Well-Known Member

With the release of SOLDIER IN THE RAIN and ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE from the Warner Archive, the Steve McQueen filmography is one film (THE HONEYMOON MACHINE) away from being complete. This is one of the great things about the Archive: SOLDIER and ENEMY were a bit too eclectic to have been released in WB's McQueen Collection, and I cannot imagine them being released in any other context.

12. borisfw

borisfw Well-Known Member

Frank
    ok. I put all five tarzan films in my cart and went to check out . I was hoping it would give some type of discount so i could see what the sale price is . But no . Is this sale going to be a secret? or are we supposed to just order and hope for the best?

13. Charles H

Charles H Well-Known Member

There is now a Barker/TARZAN package listed for $49.95.

14. borisfw

Frank
    I just checked the WB website and couldn't find a tarzan package. Am i missing something ?

15. Marcel H.

Marcel H. Well-Known Member

16. borisfw

Frank
    Thanks for the link.

17. borisfw

Frank
    Ordered the Tarzan package for $37 and change with the discount code. Also added Pride of the Marines and castle on the Hudson also with the discount. Brings it to just over $ 60 so the free shipping kicks in. Not too bad. Gotta give WB credit for trying.

18. Jeff Willis

Frank,

What discount code did you use to get the price to $37.00 ?

19. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    XB592, it's only good once and for a maximum of five Archive releases. Since this boxset is listed as one release, better use it before something changes.

20. Jeff Willis

Thanks, Crawdaddy! I think this is where I jump into this Archive store [​IMG] I'm going to the online checkout now to see what the grand total with shipping will turn out to be....