What's new

WHV Press Release: The Wizard of Oz 75th Anniversary (Blu-ray 3D)(Blu-ray)(DVD) (1 Viewer)

What version of Oz are you (or not) purchasing?

• Total voters

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Warner has been having a real run of bad luck of late. Or just bad planning (mismanagement)? Remember their delay on Empire of the Sun? Then we had a cancellation for Shane. And now Oz - not that I would have picked this one up anyway. Badly done!

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
What's weird is that, according to the press release for John Fricke's new book, it stated that he worked on an extensive timeline to be included in the new set. But the press release for the Blu-ray didn't even mention it. They should've just waited and released this next year, the actual anniversary year, and taken their time to really come up with something special.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Nick*Z said:
Warner has been having a real run of bad luck of late. Or just bad planning (mismanagement)? Remember their delay on Empire of the Sun? Then we had a cancellation for Shane. And now Oz - not that I would have picked this one up anyway. Badly done!
"Shane" has NOT been canceled, merely delayed till August 13th to give Warner sufficient time to release it in the correct Academy aspect ratio of 1.37:1...hardly a debacle, IMO...

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:
UPDATE

Here is a response I finally received from the studio....

The 2009 BD of OZ was state of the art upgraded from the 2004 release. The master of the film itself in 2D would be exactly the same because it was 6K or 8k scan from orig negative, and there is still nothing better. The difference is the 3D. But the master of the 2D blu of the feature itself is the same.
I think it was a 4K film scan they did, hopefully i can say more later.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
FoxyMulder said:
I think it was a 4K film scan they did, hopefully i can say more later.
Warner Bros. insisted the 3D conversion be done at a very high resolution (8k) scanning of the original Technicolor camera negative. The restored 2D image was then transformed by creating a depth-map of each frame to construct 3D imagery and determine distances from the viewer’s vantage point. This was followed by the long process (with the use of a rotoscope) to further refine viewer distances and fully layer shapes and objects.
1939 Oz coming in 3D IMAX, Blu-ray 3D

Edit: Just read back a bit and Ron already posted this.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Paul Hillenbrand said:
1939 Oz coming in 3D IMAX, Blu-ray 3D

Edit: Just read back a bit and Ron already posted this.
Yes i am aware of that, i'm talking about the last 2D release, it was, without a shadow of a doubt a 4K scan.

Reading more into their reply and i get the feeling they are saying they have not fixed the issues with the 2D release, perhaps the delay, if there is a delay, means they will now fix those issues.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Maybe it's delayed because somebody finally realized that the 75th anniversary isn't until next year.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
That's exactly what I was thinking. I hope so! The Garland line, in particular, has slipped by on every release since 1998. They didn't intend for it to be a permanent change. I was reading that they only changed it for the theatrical re-release in 1998. It is something that just keeps slipping by. Time to fix that!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
moviebuff75 said:
That's exactly what I was thinking. I hope so! The Garland line, in particular, has slipped by on every release since 1998. They didn't intend for it to be a permanent change. I was reading that they only changed it for the theatrical re-release in 1998. It is something that just keeps slipping by. Time to fix that!
Just couldn't help noticing HOW cagey Warner was getting when you asked them straight out "Have you fixed the errors, or are we getting the 70th disk back again?"
We'd get a lot of huffy answers about how "The 70th mastering was the finest this studio has ever produced", which as about as darn near close a "No" as you'd rationally expect to get from them.

Not saying that we "finally beat down the doors", but think enough of the complaints have hit the fan that they can quietly alter their release strategy, and if the mass audience doesn't know whether the '98 glitches were ever there, they don't have to.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
This movie remains in my top 10 of all time. I cherish it.....really looking forward to seeing it in a real IMAX theater.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
AnthonyClarke said:
Would it be possible for someone to spell out the '98 glitches? What was the Garland missing line for instance?
This is what IMDB says on the matter and i think this relates to the blu ray too.

The 2000 Warner Brothers DVD edition suffers from print defects due to shrinkage of the materials used in the restoration, and cuts out one line of Dorothy's which occurs during a reel change when Toto is being taken from Dorothy. As she whimpers Toto's name, there's a stutter edit where an off camera Garland repeats the first few words of a line, "Oh, To, oh Toto." The audio production team (who were doing the restoration) went back to the script and found no correspondence. So, the apparent mistake was excised.
Earlier in the thread it's mentioned that the line "Oh, Toto...Don't!" is also missing so i guess the above from IMDB is a different thing altogether.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
No, that's it...but the restoration team was wrong. It IS in the script! It's right there in the cutting continuity. What was once a plea from Dorothy is now a mumble. Also, the glitch when Glinda's bubble is leaving Munchkinland (the frame freezes and jumps, like a splice) was first introduced in the last Blu-ray. Also, the transition shot to Technicolor is way too dark. We need the ORIGINAL mono track, lossless and the other mistakes fixed. I sent all of this to WB last year along with my Blu-ray proposal. However, I am sending a new letter with just a list of the mistakes this time.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Wondering about the poll statement: "I don't own the 70th Anniversary and plan to buy the standard 3D Blu-ray Edition". The sentence in the poll doesn't say 70th Anniversary (set).

I have the 70th Anniversary Edition, not the 70th Anniversary set and I plan to get the standard 3D Blu-ray Edition.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Paul, you may presume that the intent was to have "set" in there.

Thanks

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Why does WB photoshop Oz as much as it does. Here is some of there recent photoshpoping.

First up is the upcoming box set cover and below it is the same image from the movie.

Notice anything different?
woz75thcoledsplip9f08b1.jpg

wizard-of-oz-caps-the-wizard-of-oz-2028967-720-536.jpg

Why did WB photoshop out The Tin Man's heart and axe? Where's The Lion's red hair bow? I could understand changing The Scarecrow, The Tin Man, and Cowardly Lion's expressions from sad to happy, but why photoshop out their gifts from The Wizard though?

Second is the IMAX poster.

wizard-of-oz-imax3d-poster-660.jpg

I couldn't find the scene that their using for the poster as It's made up of a bunch of scenes, but I want to know why they phoroshoped out The Tin Man's axe again? Is WB trying to "tone down" voilence by removing the axe? Because if that's so, WB is one to call the kettle black on violence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks