What's new

WHV Press Release: The Wizard of Oz 75th Anniversary (Blu-ray 3D)(Blu-ray)(DVD) (1 Viewer)

What version of Oz are you (or not) purchasing?

• Total voters

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Doctorossi said:
My course of action is not covered by the poll. I own the 70th Anniversary version and I plan to decide whether or not I will upgrade to the 75th Anniversary 2D version when I see some reviews comparing the two.
Same here.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My course of action is not covered by the poll. I own the 70th Anniversary version and I plan to decide whether or not I will upgrade to the 75th Anniversary 2D version when I see some reviews comparing the two.

Hopefully, you can vote then.

This thread isn't going anywhere.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah i'll wait before voting, i deleted vote for now, i'm a Libra, sometimes i'm just not sure which way to go.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
For those of us not into 3D, this release is something of a head-scratcher. It's only been a few years since the last ultimate release and there seems to be little reason to buy this title yet again. I love The Wizard of Oz, but I'm done collecting that one. I've got all the laserdisc releases and all the DVD and bluray versions. It's time to move on to other gems from the golden age. Give me a reason to buy it yet again, and I might reconsider, but right now, I'm focusing my BluRay dollars elsewhere.

But I'm glad the 3D angle is keeping this evergreen alive for new generations to discover, and for that, I'm not complaining about the time and money spent on it..

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am going with the 3D Blu-ray.

At least it will contain the new transfer in both 3D and 2D.

Say what you want about Warner releasing this movie multiple
times on Blu-ray...

...at least the studio didn't force (as they have done in the past)
a "box of junk" down our throats. I commend Warner for making
these under $20 Blu-ray and 3D Blu-ray releases available to us.

And yes, there is much controversy over the studio being guilty
of blasphemy for creating a 3D release of Oz. But quite frankly,
only the purists will really care (and I respect their stance), and
the general public will probably rush to buy it. In fact, I think this
release could really help sell more 3D televisions. There will be
much curiosity over what the studio has been able to accomplish
with this title.

If enough care was put into its upconversion, it could look stunning.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Ronald Epstein said:
I am going with the 3D Blu-ray.

At least it will contain the new transfer in both 3D and 2D.

Say what you want about Warner releasing this movie multiple
times on Blu-ray...

...at least the studio didn't force (as they have done in the past)
a "box of junk" down our throats. I commend Warner for making
these under $20 Blu-ray and 3D Blu-ray releases available to us.

And yes, there is much controversy over the studio being guilty
of blasphemy for creating a 3D release of Oz. But quite frankly,
only the purists will really care (and I respect their stance), and
the general public will probably rush to buy it. In fact, I think this
release could really help sell more 3D televisions. There will be
much curiosity over what the studio has been able to accomplish
with this title.

If enough care was put into its upconversion, it could look stunning.
But *will* there be a new 2D transfer in this release or is it just the old one carried over? Not that there was much that was wrong with it, apart from that one glitch that a couple of people noticed. I have no plans to buy a 3D television but I might check out the 3D version in theatres.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
But *will* there be a new 2D transfer in this release or is it just the old one carried over? Not that there was much that was wrong with it, apart from that one glitch that a couple of people noticed. I have no plans to buy a 3D television but I might check out the 3D version in theatres.
I'll tell you what.
Give me a day to get an answer to you on that.

I think it's an excellent question and I believe I can
obtain an answer from the studio.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
While I have very little interest in seeing Oz re-invisioned in 3D, I might have considered it if they had made a special offer to get the 3D disc for $5.99 to anyone who had purchased the 2009 Blu-ray! :D

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'll have to read some reviews first to see if it's worth the investment after already springing for the expensive 70th anniversary edition. If it plays here in 3D, I may go see it in the theater before making a final decision, too.

I can't imagine what else could be added to a new documentary that we already haven't seen or heard in the others in previous editions, but, again, reviews should answer that for me, too.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
I'm very interested in the reviews of the 3D version when it comes out. And I'd get the basic blu version if there was some improvement over the 70th box set blu that I have. That blu looked very good to me when it came out, my first blu ray. Unfortunately for the theatrical which ordinarily I would attend but I'm out of the country at that time.

I can't remember the year, but Oz had a theatrical run about 10 or 15 years ago. Does anyone remember that? Were there others in this century.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Ron, if you can, please ask them:

1. If they have restored Judy's line that has been missing since 1998. "Oh, Toto...Don't!"

2. If the glitch/glitches in Munchkinland have been fixed.

3. If the mono track is going to be lossless this time.

3. Anything else you can find out is icing on the cake!

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I haven't even opened my gift set yet - Its more for the sentimental value. I don't plan to wear the watch..its just a collectors piece for me...as is my 3 disc DVD set..I have the movie script as well that came with the big VHS set..I have a book...sheesh
When I watch Ill watch one of the blu rays...
I really am tempted by the 75th anniversary but do I need another gift set ? They take up a lot of room since I have WOZ, Gone with the Wind, Willa Wonka, Ben Hur, Planet of the Apes, Casablanca....they are just big ole sets :)
Im not interested in a 3D version of this...
Its the only movie that I have 4 versions of...and outside of Godzilla & King Kong , bought some collectibles for it...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I own the 70th anniversary BD release without the box of trinkets, and unless the 2D version of this is a leaps and bounds better transfer (which I doubt), I will pass. I do not have a 3D setup, nor have any plans to upgrade to one, and have no desire to see this film in 3D anyway. The current transfer looks fine to me.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Dee Zee said:
I can't remember the year, but Oz had a theatrical run about 10 or 15 years ago. Does anyone remember that? Were there others in this century.
My recollection is that the last theatrical run was in 1999, just before the first WB DVD came out.

Randal Gist

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Randal Gist
I own the original DVD release of The Wizard of Oz and the three-disc blu-ray edition. As much as I love this film, I see no need to repurchase--unless I win the lottery (in which case I would build a "real" home theater to replace my current, minimalist set-up.)

I am not a fan of boxed sets that take up space and contain a bunch of folderol that I will look at once and forget. Give me the film its best presentation. If the new blu is significantly better, I will consider it; but that is a wait and see.

I guess that I am a purist, because my reaction to a 3D convert is unprintable. It is a useless gimmick. But there you go. Warners can do what they want, of course--just keep the original available. I don't like messing with existing films. House of Wax (which Warners will also be releasing) is different of course, because it was shot to be in 3D.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
The last theatrical release, not counting the one night only 2009 showing, was in 1998 for the 60th Anniversary. Dye transfer prints were struck in the 1.33 ratio for a limited number of theaters, while other theaters received Eastman prints windowboxed in a 1.85 frame. I saw both, as I worked at the cinema at the time. I did the promotion for the film for our theater....the entire hallway was decorated with trivia, photos, a replica pair of slippers, etc. This is the release that introduced the audio edits that have yet to be corrected (Judy's partially excised line, extra chicken sounds, etc.)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I plan to see it in Imax. No plans to purchase the Wizard or any other 3D movie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Garysb said:
I plan to see it in Imax. No plans to purchase the Wizard or any other 3D movie.
Interesting, you're going to view it in 3-D in a movie theater, but you have no plans to ever purchase a 3-D movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks