What's new

WHV Press Release: The Wizard of Oz 75th Anniversary (Blu-ray 3D)(Blu-ray)(DVD) (1 Viewer)

What version of Oz are you (or not) purchasing?

• Total voters

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Frankly, I don't think there could be any "in your face" gimmickry takingsomething that wasn't originally lensed in 3D and upconverting it. I have yet to see any conversion where they were able to place objectsoutside of the screen. Should have my copy today. Will have it reviewed tomorrow.
Ron,There were a couple of pop out scenes to me like one scene in which a field of flowers extended out from the IMAX screen.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
They fixed the glitches for the 3D version. Unfortunately, if the 2D version is the same disc then the original disc is still flawed. I have new theories about Judy's missing line though.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There were a couple of pop out scenes to me like one scene in which a field of flowers extended out from the IMAX screen.
Interesting. Looking forward to seeing that myself.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
So, the original nitrate mono soundtrack is lost, so they have been using a protection element produced in 1963. What if the additional line was ultimately not used in 1939 and added back in by mistake in 1963? The same issue occurred with GWTW in 1989 when Ted Turner used bits of dialogue not used in 1939...but the vhs, dvds, and Blu-ray are correct and don't have those extra bits.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
moviebuff75 said:
I felt like Judy was in the room with me in 3D. Also loved the poppy field, the lion's forest, the hourglass, and the smoke in the Wizard's Palace.
Was the dialogue in the 3D edition still the same as the last blu ray release. ?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
moviebuff75 said:
They fixed the glitches for the 3D version. Unfortunately, if the 2D version is the same disc then the original disc is still flawed. I have new theories about Judy's missing line though.
Is it fixed or not on the 3-D version?

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
This is what Ned Price said 1998 about the audio alterations that they were only for the theatrical release. "I want to stress very strongly that this track is not a replacement for the original by any means. It is just an alternate version for theatrical release." I wish that were true.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Just left the theatre from seeing it. I thought it was very refreshing and handled very well. I did see depth in the it especially in Munchkin Land and the yellow brick road scenes. The witch really stood out and her pointy finger was in my face a couple of times. There were no sound glitches and of course it was in its OAR which did make it look narrow on the IMAX screen. Not sure I have seen 1.37 on the that screen. I'm going to wait on more reviews of the Blu-ray before I go for it. But I was very impressed with the 3D conversion and the IMAX presentation.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Radioman970 said:
So the one that is $25.11 right now is the one that was $19.99 before?

HERE is the link.
Wizard Of Oz: 75th Anniversary (3D Blu-ray + Blu-ray + UltraViolet) (Widescreen)
No, it said "Walmart Exclusive' and had a picture of the box set. I called Walmart and they said I would get whatever was pictured. I'll have to wait and see.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Robert, several alterations were made for the 1998 theatrical release, including the partial deletion of one of Judy's lines. Ned Price said at the time that the alterations were not permanent. But that's exactly what they have become. Going back to the mono master would completely fix these issues. Line deleted, tornado sound dialed way down in one scene, additional chicken sounds drowning out dialogue, and a music tempo change. Price said that this should be considered an alternate track and not the original. Well, I don't know why they keep going back to it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
moviebuff75 said:
Robert, several alterations were made for the 1998 theatrical release, including the partial deletion of one of Judy's lines. Ned Price said at the time that the alterations were not permanent. But that's exactly what they have become. Going back to the mono master would completely fix these issues. Line deleted, tornado sound dialed way down in one scene, additional chicken sounds drowning out dialogue, and a music tempo change. Price said that this should be considered an alternate track and not the original. Well, I don't know why they keep going back to it.
Well you have me confused now! I thought the Judy line about Toto was fixed. Now, you're saying it isn't?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
moviebuff75 said:
When did I say it was fixed? I said the digital glitch causing dropped frames in Munchkinland was fixed. The Judy line has not been fixed.
You stated the glitches were fix and those were the only two you mentioned yesterday when I said I was going to see it. Anyhow, good luck to you in fighting for these issues as I never noticed the Toto line again yesterday even though I was listening for it.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Thanks. I know that it is an uphill battle. But I will continue to pursue it, as this is the most protected film in history and there is no reason that it should be altered. It is clear from Price's interview that the alternate track wasn't intended to remain, and I would like to know why it has. The partial deletion changes the tone of the line (in the original version, Dorothy is desperate..in the new version of the dialogue she is barely whimpering). And here's the thing. It shouldn't be changed whether people notice it or not. Films run 24fps. Of course we can't see every frame, but that doesn't mean that every frame isn't important to the whole experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks