1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

WHV Press Release: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition (3D/2D Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    XenForo Template

Posted Image//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ss&ref=ss_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=ronspressrelease-20&marketplace=amazon&region=US&placement=B00MG4X9X8&asins=B00MG4X9X8&linkId=MW4RMIKLAJI764HC&show_border=true&link_opens_in_new_window=true</div> <div>

• FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    I'll buy that for a dollar.*

Had RoboCop out last night. :lol:

• TheSteig

TheSteig Supporting Actor

David
    Im getting it.. I like the longer versions.. Next year when the 3rd installment comes out there will be the same pattern and probably a box set or two or three...........

• Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Good News I've waiting for this. Hoping it would come out sooner but its following the same pattern for all the extended editions of LOTR and The Hobbit. Extended edition out in November and next movie out in December. Good to see an extra 25 minutes this time vs. only 13 minutes on part 1. I suspect Part 3 will have the most added in the EE just like the 3rd LOTR.

JoeDoakes likes this.
  • FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    I haven't watched the first one yet, it's tempting to wait until November 2015 and view all three back to back but i don't know if i can hold out. I also don't think i will be re-visiting these films too soon after the first viewing, you need to put some years between viewings otherwise they are too fresh in the memory, maybe November 2015 and a 6 movie Rings/Hobbit marathon.

Randy Korstick likes this.
  • RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    So, the extra 25 minutes will be in 3D?

• FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Yes.

• Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Now Available for Preorder
    Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

</div> <div></div> <div>

• hanshotfirst1138

hanshotfirst1138 Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    Whoa! That's a lot more new footage than the last movie had! It's amazing that studios will allow Peter Jackson to indulge his excesses like this. Not that I mind ;). I'm waiting on the inevitable Mega-Middle Earth boxed set with all six films, as well as hopefully UV and ALL of the previous extras. I can dream. Even if it does come out, the EE of BOTFA probably won't be out until NEXT December :(! Damn, what a wait! I'll get the EE of this from the library in the meantime just to see what's new. Whatever you think of the films, most of these packages have been pretty top-notch, the whole green color timing issue on FOTR not withstanding.

• Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    It is? This series has made a bajillion dollars for everyone involved and has suddenly become an evergreen title on video. The more they can put on the shelf, the happier Warner will be.

cafink likes this.
  • Jari K

Jari K Producer

Sounds great, but I'll be waiting for that box set that's coming at some point.

• Darby67

Darby67 Second Unit

Sean
    I hope a DVD version of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition will be released as well.

Darby

• TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I've got a friend who only has DVD and I know they'd want this on DVD too.

Darby67 likes this.
  • EdReedFan20

EdReedFan20 Stunt Coordinator

I hope when the 3rd extended edition comes out they include a voucher to send in for a Trilogy box to hold them in. The original run of LOTR EE DVD's did this in 2003.

cafink likes this.
  • Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    They will. They released An Unexpected Journey EE on DVD.

Darby67 likes this.
  • Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Amazon lists the EE (both BD versions) as 161 mins. Must be an error.

Cees

• Dick

Dick Producer

Rick
    I just hope Jackson hasn't added yet more footage to the barrels-in-the-river escape sequence, which was three times longer than it should have been in the theatrical cut. God, this trilogy is pissing me off. Jackson stretched this 300-page book into a ridiculous movie trilogy, and yet left off magical and important parts of the novel, such as Bilbo's getting lost in Mirkwood and encountering (elves?) who keep kicking out campfires as he approaches them, which is my favorite part of the book. And it apparently wasn't even shot, as it does not appear in the extended version of the first Blu-ray. I feel a lot of ill-will toward this trilogy, unlike the LORD OF THE RINGS series, which I love.

• hanshotfirst1138

hanshotfirst1138 Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    Agreed that he shovel definitely add more material actually from the book that's more tonally appropriate than the swirling digital camera fairground-ride aesthetic he's been using. He's always had a tendency to be excessive and stretch simple bits from the books into bombastic action sequences, but he's clearly been allowed even more leeway after laying the golden egg with the last trilogy.

• Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Good to see so many of you think it's good news this is being released at a price point of (currently) $39.96. For that price there better be a gold plated figurine of Smaug. I pass.

• Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    To be fair to other HTF members, I didn't see any of them advocating that price point. From my personal perspective, I won't be purchasing that 3-D release at that price which I can easily afford, but will not do so because I can wait it out.