1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

WHV Press Release: The Fugitive 20th Anniversary (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, May 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    “… a smashing success, a juggernaut of an action-adventure saga… To put it simply, this is a home run.” -- Elvis Mitchell, New York Times

THE FUGITIVE CELEBRATES
    20TH ANNIVERSARY SEPTEMBER 3
    New Blu-ray™ Edition Chock-Full of Special Features Including New Featurette with Harrison Ford and
    Tommy Lee Jones Interviews

Burbank, Calif., May 6, 2013 – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Academy Award®-nominated (1993 for Best Picture) The Fugitive on September 3 with a new anniversary Blu-ray™ edition. The heart-pounding thriller stars Harrison Ford as wrongly-convicted Dr. Richard Kimble and Tommy Lee Jones in his Oscar®[1]- and Golden Globe®[2]-winning performance as Kimble’s relentless pursuer. Andrew Davis directed.
    The Fugitive 20th Anniversary Blu-ray will offer even more excitement with a new featurette, The Fugitive: Thrill of the Chase which includes interviews with Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee Jones, director Andrew Davis and more.

The Fugitive 20th Anniversary Edition will be available in BD Elite Case packaging for $19.98 SRP. Order due date is July 30.

Based on the 1960s classic TV series, the motion picture; The Fugitive, garnered seven Academy Award nominations[3] including Best Picture. In 2001, The American Film Institute also listed it as one of the 100 Most Thrilling American films[4]. Additionally, Andrew Davis was nominated by the Directors Guild of America in 1994 for his work on the motion picture, known for its spectacular stunts, including the devastating bus-train collision and a breath-taking leap down a huge waterfall. Besides Ford and Jones, the film features a fine ensemble including Sela Ward, Joe Pantoliano, Andreas Katsulas, Jeroen Krabbé, and Julianne Moore.

Synopsis:
    Chicago surgeon Dr. Richard Kimble, unjustly accused of murdering his wife, must find the real killer, and the reasons for the slaying, after being targeted in a nationwide manhunt led by tenacious United States Deputy Marshal Sam Gerard.

Special Features:

[*]New Featurette The Fugitive: Thrill of the Chase featuring Andrew Davis, Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee Jones and more
    [*]Introduction by Andrew Davis and Harrison Ford
    [*]Commentary by Andrew Davis and Tommy Lee Jones
    [*]On the Run with the Fugitive Behind-the-Scenes Featurette
    [*]Derailed: Anatomy of a Train Wreck Behind-the-Scenes Featurette
    [*]“The Fugitive" [2000 WB Pilot] New to Release!
    [*]Theatrical Trailer
    [/list]

The Fugitive 20th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray
    Street Date: September 3, 2013
    Prebook Date: July 30, 2013
    Pricing: $19.98 SRP
    Rating: PG-13
    Run Time: 130 Mins
    Catalog #: 1000394403

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Academy Award(s)® and Oscar(s)® are registered trademarks and services marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Golden Globe® is the registered trademark of the HFPA.

Blu-ray Disc™ and Blu-ray™ and the logos are the trademarks of Blu-ray Disc Association.

Warner Home Video Blu-ray Discs™ offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, as well as extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color and beautifully crisp sound. The format also provides a higher level of interactivity, with instant access to extra features via a seamless menu bar where viewers can enjoy features without leaving or interrupting the film.

2. TheSteig

TheSteig Well-Known Member

David
    Great news, hopefully the transfer/PQ will be an improvement as well since the current one got average to poor ratings..Im still getting it anyway :)

3. Noach Kowalski

Noach Kowalski Well-Known Member

Noach Kowalski
    Remastered or not?

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I wouldn't count on it because Warner has released titles beforehand with a certain anniversary, but without any improvements in the A/V presentations.

5. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I also wouldn't count on it. I think if the studio waned to pique the interests of collectors like us they would have put "remastered" inthe press release. That's not a word you skimp on when wantingto alert consumers who already own the prior release that there issomething actually worth buying again.

6. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Especially a title as problematic as The Fugitive. Wasn't this one of the early Warner BD titles that used a 1080i master and "upconverted" to 1080p, yielding all sorts of artifacts?

7. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Well-Known Member

Is the existing Blu-ray still only the initial release with the horrible jaggies and alliasing (as Stephen_J_H pointed out)? If so, I'd imagine this would be remastered as WB remastered their other titles (FULL METAL JACKET, CADDYSHACK, WILLY WONKA...) that suffered from this the first time around.

Vincent

8. TheSteig

David
    Bluray.com's forum on this says it will be an all new transfer

9. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    What is "BD Elite Case packaging"?

10. Noach Kowalski

Noach Kowalski Well-Known Member

Noach Kowalski
    It's a remastered edition. Confirmed by WBShop Facebook page.

lukejosephchung likes this.
  11. TheSteig

David
  12. Tommy R

Tommy R Well-Known Member

Tommy
    Never picked up the first blu, still only own the snapper-case DVD. I'll pick this up for sure! GREAT 90's thriller classic!

13. Scott D S

Scott D S Well-Known Member

Woo-hoo! Another catalog DVD to trade in. :)

14. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Now available for preorder (see below). The price is rather tempting that
    I might actually double-dip on this...

15. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Well-Known Member

The Fugitive shows up on OTA broadcast and cable seemingly all the time and I have to admit that (for me) it holds up remarkably well. In the past, there were certain films that always seemed to show up on Turner and I would pop in to sample them and The Fugitive has sort of become one of those films, for me.

Might have to pick this one up.

- Walter.

16. Robert Crawford

Robert
    This is a no-brainer for me as I thought the first release was lacking when it was released back in 2006.

17. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I should have my review up in the next couple days. The word is already out on the street that it shows a marked improvement in picture quality compared to the previous Blu-ray, and I heartily agree. In some respects it's not hard to do given the old release was riddled with a grab bag of issues including mosquito noise, aliasing and combing.

In short, it's a no-brainer upgrade, especially given the recent price drop on Amazon.

18. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Thanks, the new BD is on my weekend viewing list.

19. cafink

cafink Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with Full Metal Jacket's release history, but Caddyshack and Willy Wonka have each had only one Blu-ray release that I'm aware of, at least in the U.S. Did I miss remastered versions of those Blu-rays?

20. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Full Metal Jacket was a remastered version upon the second Blu-ray release in 2007. Basically, just avoid the 2006 release with the white cover art.

Caddyshack and Willy Wonka have had repackaging re-issues, but the discs are identical between their releases, respectively.