What's new

WHV Press Release: The Exorcist Extended Director's Cut (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I watched EXORCIST II last night (don't ask me why) and noticed that the original 1970's-style wb logo was left intact for that DVD release.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi

I watched EXORCIST II last night (don't ask me why) and noticed that the original 1970's-style wb logo was left intact for that DVD release.

Okay, I won't ask "why?" but I will assume it is because you lost a bet.

I am curious about this whole logo controversy if the original film had the current logo and the "updated" version had the older logo if we would be seeing the same posts? "The previous logo was SO much better with the Warner's logo darkened and red. This new logo adds unnecessary animation that ruins the mystery of the opening. What was Warner and Friedkin thinking???" It feels as if the controversy is really rooted in how you remember the film from your youth rather than a legitimate complaint. I mean, it's just a logo not a scene from the final film.

Just a thought....

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by owen35

Okay, I won't ask "why?" but I will assume it is because you lost a bet.

I am curious about this whole logo controversy if the original film had the current logo and the "updated" version had the older logo if we would be seeing the same posts? "The previous logo was SO much better with the Warner's logo darkened and red. This new logo adds unnecessary animation that ruins the mystery of the opening. What was Warner and Friedkin thinking???" It feels as if the controversy is really rooted in how you remember the film from your youth rather than a legitimate complaint. I mean, it's just a logo not a scene from the final film.

Just a thought....

I can't speak for anyone else but I think people want the original version, logo included. Personally, I can't believe that a company used such a hideously ugly logo but they did and so I wish that it was kept for this release. Like I said earlier though, I certainly doesn't have any have effect on my purchase though.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Eric Scott Richard

I think it has to do with preserving the original presentation of the film itself.

Meh, the original logo isn't that important to me in that regard, but I can understand why others might feel differently.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi

You just don't mess with great films like The Exorcist II: Exorcist Harder.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

Meh, the original logo isn't that important to me in that regard, but I can understand why others might feel differently.

That's pretty much how I feel as well. To me it's not a part of the film at all. Unless the logo has specifically been integrated into the movie, like Cat Ballou. Plus, many times it has info that is no longer legally valid: Paramount is no longer a Gulf & Western Co. and Warner Bros. is no longer a Warner Communications Co. Don't get me wrong, I love to see the old logos for sentiment's sake, and my preference is always to keep them, but I don't view them as part of the film, and their replacement is certainly not a deal breaker for me. I'd never want to miss out on owning a beloved film just because of a 15 second piece of studio or distributor PR, which may or may not even have any validity anymore. But to each his own.

I guess it depends on how much the logo is associated with the film for me. For example, I would be heartbroken if the MGM lion would ever disappear from The Wizard of Oz or dozens of other classics. Same goes for the WB shield at the start of Casablanca or the 20th Century Fox fanfare at the start of Star Wars. That being said, I think the WB logo used on the new Exorcist blu-ray is pretty cool looking.

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
Most of the time the logo is related to the distribution of the film, and has nothing to do with the production itself. So I can see that it would make perfect sense for the current distributor/owner to put whatever logo they desire (most likely the current one) on any given release, and remove any logo for a competing company or an entity that no longer exists. However, I can also certainly sympathize with those who would like to see the logos as they appeared on the initial theatrical release. (And, IMHO, there is absolutely no excuse for removing a logo that is integrated into the content of a specific film; for example, I cannot imagine seeing THE MOUSE THAT ROARED without it beginning with Columbia (i.e., the "Torch Lady") leaving the platform after seeing a mouse at her feet.)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Well, the newest "dark shield" logo is not bad and suits THE EXORCIST a bit.

Of course, the logo does not make or break the film to me, but I do think the original one went best with the movie to come. And unless I'm mistaken, isn't there also ominous music placed over the original logo? If so, then technically it's part of the experience.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Yes, it is. I was thinking about this and of course a logo update doesn't make or break a movie even though many of us will always prefer to see the whole thing as originally released. But in those instances where music or other soundtrack started right from the top and played under the logo, there's a strong bond from familiarity that begs to be preserved. Given the many times I went to The Exorcist, that music-logo link is ingrained for me.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

Yes, it is. I was thinking about this and of course a logo update doesn't make or break a movie even though many of us will always prefer to see the whole thing as originally released. But in those instances where music or other soundtrack started right from the top and played under the logo, there's a strong bond from familiarity that begs to be preserved. Given the many times I went to The Exorcist, that music-logo link is ingrained for me.

I think that was my point. I also have that visual bond of the original logo and the film, but I certainly wouldn't say it is a "deal breaker" for me if it is not on there. I mean, I'm one of those guys that still loves to see the old Film Rating card that appeared at the end of some 70's films (it was blue with white letters and the rating code in the far right). It sort of puts the film in its historical context for me. It is a loss in a nostalgic sort of way, but I really don't believe it undermines the film's presentation.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't feel the change in logo undermines the film's

presentation either. That's silly.

However, I think all of us here share the same common

interest in film. We all have very distinct memories of

these various logos to the point when studios try and

update them, we sit there and say, "well this looks odd."

It's history. I have fond memories of the rounded WB

logo of the 70s that I believe was the original opener of

The Exorcist. Same goes for the United Artists logo
of that period that consisted of a bunch of emerging lines --
another logo that is always replaced by something else.

I dunno. I'm not here to pick on Warner. They are a

superb studio...and they aren't the only guilty ones toying

with logos as explained above. I'm just a purist who
would rather not lose those special memories of how I

originally watched these films. The logo says a lot about

that period of time. For the studios to remove it is just

tampering with history.

Maybe I am making more of this than I should.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
But in those instances where music or other soundtrack started right from the top and played under the logo, there's a strong bond from familiarity that begs to be preserved.
I thought on this new release there was music over the Dark Shield logo. If so, was that the same music that played over the original?

Maybe I am making more of this than I should.

Nah, it's quite understandable. Myself, like others, don't consider this kind of thing a dealbreaker (unless they messed with a logo that was significantly "burned in" to the film in some way). But I would definitely prefer the logo that was released theatrically. An example of mine is "Alien" Often I find myself watching the original DVD over the Quadrilogy version pretty much due to the fact that the original disc uses the original logo.

But now that I think about it, a lot of logos have subtle touches that I would not like to see go away. For example, take Die Hard where the Fox logo used was a flat version instead of an anamorphic version, hence the result was that the logo appeared stretched. That little imperfection is part of the film now. Take the X-Men movies where when the logo darkens, the "X" in Fox stays lit just a split second longer. Alien3 where the Fox Fanfare trails off into omninous music. E.T. where the Universal opening Logo is shown backwards.

I wish the other studios would just do what Universal seems to do. Play the new logo first and then the original that was attached to the film.

Also, does anyone know if there are any clips on the web of the original Exorcist opening with original Logo. I tried doing a search, but didn't have much luck.

I just downloaded the original opening to YouTube:

I too was hoping this would be on the Blu-Ray, but my disappointment soon faded out when I saw how beautiful the film itself looked.

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Maybe Warner Bros. will offer replacement discs that feature the original logo?

Originally Posted by Eric Scott Richard

I forget, was the end logo the same red background or was it over the black background of the end credits?

I believe it was over the red background at the end. The first DVD release from 1997 is where I got the original opening, so I'll check the end credits on that disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks