What's new

WHV Press Release: The Exorcist Extended Director's Cut (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

JayMacey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
kyle m
Me too Crawdaddy. Since they're including the original theatrical cut I'm going to have to double dip on this one

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Personally, I thought the staircase conversation between Karras and Merrin was the only worthwhile addition to the extended cut. If less of the first doctor's visit had been included I would have been okay with that as well, but it goes on far too long.

I found the superimpositions to be jaw-droppingly awful. If they had been handled with a modicum of taste I would have been more okay with them. The spider walk sequence does nothing for me, and I kind of intensely dislike the "beautiful friendship" ending. I think it works on paper, but the movie doesn't need it.

I must say, I'm looking forward to the Blu-Ray. It'll be great to have both versions.

I couldn't agree with you more. The staircase discussion scene really needed to be in the final original cut, but the "new director's cut" is nothing but fluff and stuff that really needed to be left out.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Nelson

My only beef with the extended cut is those ridiculous CGI superimpositions on walls, and the super-ridiculous incredibly fake-looking blood-barf addition to the spiderwalk sequence.

As for Friedkin not directing anything of quality for decades, that's absolutely not true, because BUG is a sterling piece of work. Even Ashley Judd is good in it.

Just don't let him go back and touch any of his earlier work, e.g. THE FRENCH CONNECTION. Jeezus, I'm glad I picked up the special edition DVD two-pack with the sequel.

Bug was interesting, but nothing he's done recently even comes close to the type of productions he did in the early part of his career. If he were to do The Exorcist now, I doubt it would be of the same caliber of direction. In my opinion, he sort of lost his edge, his desire to push the language of cinema and has fallen back onto a more traditional film director who chooses interesting projects. This criticism, however, could be applied to a lot of director's from that era (Coppola, Bogdanavich, Lumet, Allen, De Palma, etc.). It seems only Scorsese still brings a level of passion to his films that the others seem to be lacking.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Originally Posted by owen35

Bug was interesting, but nothing he's done recently even comes close to the type of productions he did in the early part of his career. If he were to do The Exorcist now, I doubt it would be of the same caliber of direction. In my opinion, he sort of lost his edge, his desire to push the language of cinema and has fallen back onto a more traditional film director who chooses interesting projects. This criticism, however, could be applied to a lot of director's from that era (Coppola, Bogdanavich, Lumet, Allen, De Palma, etc.). It seems only Scorsese still brings a level of passion to his films that the others seem to be lacking.

BUG was not merely interesting, it was a fine piece of work from all involved, and shows he's got plenty of edge left IMO. If he continues to make films of this caliber (whenever that may be), I'll have absolutely no complaints.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I saw BUG and I think "interesting" and "crazy" are two appropriate words to describe it. I wouldn't say it was a "good" film at all ... but certainly got more and more intriguing as the movie progressed (not so much early on). I think many viewers wouldn't make it to the latter part of the film. Ashley Judd was amazingly good in her performance, almost worthy enough for an Academy Award nomination.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben . Even if the film isn't to your taste, it shows that Coppola is still taking chances.

That's a fair reply; perhaps Lumet wasn't known for pushing cinematic language, but his record of late hasn't equaled his 70's work. Devil Knows... seems to be the exception as it is an impressive film and one that demonstrated his solid craftsmanship, which was nice to see. As for Coppola, to be honest, I haven't yet seen Tetro, but I'll certainly add it to my immediate list after your comment. I've always been a HUGE Coppola fan and often feel he gets dismissed too easily. One From The Heart and Rumble Fish are two remarkable films that need greater appreciation.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
"The power of Christ compels you!"

Really looking forward to this one. I just hope Friedkin hasn't messed about with the colour or added more demonic faces on the walls etc the film didn't need them.

The trailer is worth a look, it includes never before seen on-set footage!

http://bluray.ign.com/dor/objects/71378/the-exorcist/videos/exorcist_bd_red_trl_080310.html

EDIT posted in the wrong Exorcist thread sorry guys, thanks for moving it.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
This is one of those films that I'll remember for the rest of my life. Such a well made, frightening, and intense film. Think I've owned just about every medium of this so why not another LOL.

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
Found it out early and put my cash down! Its not noted on the back, but all trailers, tv spots and radio spots are included for both versions. To my eyes these look exactly as they should. No signs of digital meddling. The picture is crisp and nicely detailed. Barely a hint of grain so far. The DTS tracks on both are nice and loud. The remastered mix on the newer version has plenty of artificial thump applied.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Can you tell me if on the original theatrcal cut of if the film opens with the original WB's LOGO or the new more updated one?

Originally Posted by Erin C

Found it out early and put my cash down! Its not noted on the back, but all trailers, tv spots and radio spots are included for both versions. To my eyes these look exactly as they should. No signs of digital meddling. The picture is crisp and nicely detailed. Barely a hint of grain so far. The DTS tracks on both are nice and loud. The remastered mix on the newer version has plenty of artificial thump applied.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Erin C

Both cuts have the same updated logo. Looks like a very dark silverish color.

Thanks for the heads up. It isn't a deal breaker for me but I wish original logos would be kept in tact. I kind of figured they would be changed and have been for several releases. I think the old FULL FRAME DVD of Exorcist contains the logo that is my avatar.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger

Thanks for the heads up. It isn't a deal breaker for me but I wish original logos would be kept in tact. I kind of figured they would be changed and have been for several releases. I think the old FULL FRAME DVD of Exorcist contains the logo that is my avatar.

I really liked that logo back then. It was different and set the period, but of course now it is nostalgic for the 70's. Don't change it.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Boy, do I ever wish the studios would preserve the original logos. Do whatever you want to altered versions, but don't change ANYTHING on the original. Theatrical cut is theatrical cut. Period. Preserve it.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
As strange as it may seem, I actually didn't like that logo back then. But it was part of many films of the era that I love, and I wouldn't touch it.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Logos don't mean that much to me, but transfers do. I'm running on faith here, with the order in shipping process from Amazon, and no early reviews.

Bummer about the logo. It set the creepy tone for the movie the way it came toward the screen and then back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks