1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

WHV Press Release: TCM Greatest Classics Film Collection

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Warner Home Video and Turner Classic Movies Partner for TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection

Burbank, Calif., November 10, 2008 – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group, the studio with the world’s largest film library, is beginning an exciting new partnership with the authority in classic film, Turner Classic Movies. The two companies – sister divisions of Time Warner – plan to introduce the TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection, starting in early 2009. The partners will release a collection of 60 top films in 15 themed groups. The films will be available on DVD and promoted on TCM, starting February 3 with the first of four waves.

The launch of the TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection stands as the largest-ever partnership between Warner Home Video and TCM. The initiative combines the strengths of the companies in serving both serious film buffs and a new generation of movie lovers. The TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection is meant to whet the appetite of a wide range of film fans, giving them an easy way to build a personal library of classic films.

For the TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection, Warner Home Video has selected some of the greatest American films from the past 85 years and grouped them by themes. The films are packaged in four-title sets with each set affordably priced at $27.92 SRP.

The first installments in the collection arrive February 3, 2009, with three genres timed to coincide with Valentine’s Day and the Oscar® season. They are Romantic Dramas (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, A Streetcar Named Desire, Rebel Without a Cause, East of Eden); Romantic Comedies (A Philadelphia Story, Bringing Up Baby, Adam’s Rib, Woman of the Year); and Best Picture Winners (Casablanca, An American in Paris, Gigi, Mrs. Miniver).

The 12 films in these three debut sets have been honored with 32 Oscar wins. Featured stars include James Stewart, Humphrey Bogart, James Dean, Paul Newman, Marlon Brando, Katharine Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Ingrid Bergman and Leslie Caron. The films are bundled in premium keepcase packaging.

Later in 2009, the TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection will grow to include many other genres, including musicals, westerns, war films, mysteries, science fiction, horror, holiday and family films. A complete listing is included below.

Warner Home Video, which owns the world’s largest film library, is the market leader in classic DVD sales, with a 24% average market share. Warner has more Best Picture Oscar® wins (22) than any other studio and its films have garnered more than 300 Academy Awards®.

The TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection builds on the success of previous joint initiatives between TCM and Warner Home Video, including the TCM Archives series and the TCM Spotlight series. The launch of TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection promises to be successful, thanks to the considerable resources offered by both partners.

[​IMG]

WAVE ONE -- Release Date: February 3, 2009
    Pricing: $27.92 SRP
    TCM Greatest Classics: Romantic Dramas
    Catalog #: 1000045330
    Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
    A Streetcar Named Desire
    Rebel Without a Cause
    East of Eden

TCM Greatest Classics: Best Picture Winners
    Catalog #: 1000045343
    Casablanca
    An American in Paris
    Gigi
    Mrs. Miniver

TCM Greatest Classics: Romantic Comedies
    Catalog #: 1000045298
    A Philadelphia Story
    Bringing Up Baby
    Adam’s Rib
    Woman of the Year

WAVE TWO -- Release Date: May 5, 2009*
    TCM Greatest Classics: Musicals
    Singin’ in the Rain
    Easter Parade
    The Band Wagon
    Meet Me in St. Louis

TCM Greatest Classics: Musicals 2
    Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
    Annie Get Your Gun
    Show Boat
    Kiss Me Kate

TCM Greatest Classics: Westerns
    Jeremiah Johnson
    Train Robbers
    The Wild Bunch
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller

TCM Greatest Classics: Westerns 2
    The Searchers
    Stagecoach
    Rio Bravo
    Cowboys
    TCM Greatest Classics: War 1
    Kelly’s Heroes
    The Dirty Dozen
    Where Eagles Dare
    Battleground

TCM Greatest Classics: War 2
    The Green Berets
    Destination Tokyo
    Battan
    Back to Battan

WAVE THREE -- Release Date: September 1, 2009*
    TCM Greatest Classics: Mystery
    The Big Sleep
    Dial M For Murder
    The Maltese Falcon
    The Postman Always Rings Twice
    TCM Greatest Classics: Horror
    Freaks
    House of Wax
    The Haunting
    Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde

TCM Greatest Classics: Sci-Fi (4FE)
    2001: Space Odyssey
    Forbidden Planet
    Soylent Green
    Time Machine

WAVE FOUR -- Release Date: November 3, 2009*

TCM Greatest Classics: Holiday
    A Christmas Story
    Christmas Carol
    Christmas in Connecticut
    Shop Around the Corner

TCM Greatest Classics: Comedy
    Arsenic and Old Lace
    A Night at the Opera
    The Long, Long Trailer
    Father of the Bride

TCM Greatest Classics: Family
    National Velvet
    Lassie Come Home
    Flipper
    Incredible Mr. Limpet

*Scheduled date and titles subject to change

2. Charles H

Charles H Well-Known Member

As Nero might say, "Let the repackagings begin!"

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Yup, next time I buy any of these titles it will be on BRD or whatever HD format is available then.

Crawdaddy

4. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Well-Known Member

Andy Budgell
    I was really excited until I opened up the thread and discovered they are all previously released titles.

Sigh.

5. CineKarine

CineKarine Well-Known Member

I hope these repackagings won't get in the way of never-before-released-on-DVD titles from Warner!

6. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Well-Known Member

Warners plans for the year seems clear now.

release classics in two ways

1. unreleased titles with almost no extras at all (goodbye, Mr. chips, Far from the Madding crowd, Warner Romance Collection, Natalie Wood, Paul Newman - silver chalice etc)

2. relese previously released titles with incresingly ugly packaging.

great.

7. Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF Well-Known Member

A non-announcement this.

And with Greed still unreleased...

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Warner is still putting out a lot of unreleased stuff, so I do not have a problem with bargain bundles. This just seems like an extension of their "Essential Classics" concept from last year. The only problem I had with that series is that they sometimes mixed in titles that were noticeably deficient in terms of presentation quality and badly in need of remastering such as "The Music Man".

Regards,

9. Greg_M

Greg_M Well-Known Member

Too Bad they're not Blu-Ray, then I might be interested

10. KellyVO

KellyVO Well-Known Member

LAME! Who doesn't own these movies already?

11. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Well-Known Member

Alan
    Yes, I would have thought anyone who likes these movies enough to buy these box sets, would have liked them enough to have bought them when they first came out. But what what do I know, I'm not a marketing man.

12. Corey

Corey Well-Known Member

i have most of these movies...i was so excited when i saw this thread. i was hoping for jean harlow, forbidden hollywood, etc.

13. Mark B

Mark B Well-Known Member

Mark
    Looks like it's time to get rid of some dusty inventory in the warehouse. It's a nice idea for those who have not yet purchased any of them.

14. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Well-Known Member

Michael Elliott
    Man, I thought this was going to be their long awaited silent collection. [​IMG]

15. KellyVO

KellyVO Well-Known Member

Yeah I was kind of hoping for the same thing! They could have done so much with this release like Jean Harlow, more Forbidden Hollywood, Esther Williams vol.2 , musicals like the Jeanette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy movies, silents and I'm still waiting for a Ginger Rogers set but no......

16. Randy_M

Randy_M Well-Known Member

Randy Margolis
    They should have done this release quietly...all the big splash does is tick off people who were expecting new titles.

17. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Well-Known Member

What a big yawn. Only good thing about it is that the sets are pretty cheap. They'd make for good gift-giving--but to whom? Everyone already has these flicks on SD!

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I do not speak for Warner Brothers, but I imagine their response to this would be a dreamy eyed "Ahh. If only..." [​IMG]

Regards,

19. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Well-Known Member

At least they haven't decided to mix old titles with new, that would really drive most of us crazy. To me this looks like "The Accounts Department Collection", WHV have invested millions preserving and transferring so many of these films, that now the bean counters want a return on that investment, even if that means returning to these same titles again.

20. ReggieW

ReggieW Well-Known Member

Are we sure at this late stage that there'll even be an MGM promotion, or is this assumption simply based on this past years Warner Brothers promo?

The press release listed above is "splashy" which has me kind of worried. I mean, if there was going to be an MGM promotion for all of 2009, shouldn't we be hearing something about this now? Could it be possible that the MGM promotion has become a casualty of the worsening economy?

I've got a sneaking suspicion that we won't be seeing the long awaited Silents Collection, Jean Harlow, Spencer Tracy, MacDonald/Eddy or anything of this caliber in 2009. As a few others have stated, I think WHV's big push will be to sell these sets most of us already have.