What's new

WHV Press Release: SORCERER (Blu-ray Book) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
cineMANIAC said:
I'd like to be AWAKE while watching the movie - his commentaries always make me drowsy.
TravisR said:
You can make your own William Friedkin commentary by just describing exactly what you're seeing onscreen and giving no other info. :)
You both make legit points! :lol:

Though Friedkin's original "Exorcist" commentary was good. His chat for the alternate cut is pretty awful, but the original has good info...
Bob Cashill said:
Or better yet just read his autobiography The Friedkin Connection for the full lowdown. He may have felt written out on the subject.
The Blu-ray's book includes excerpts from the autobiography. I'd still have liked something else...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Colin Jacobson said:
Though Friedkin's original "Exorcist" commentary was good. His chat for the alternate cut is pretty awful, but the original has good info...
Yeah, I think that's because he had someone there to converse with so he didn't go into narrator mode. Oddly, I really enjoyed his 'fan' commentary on The Leopard Man and The Narrow Margin. He made interesting points, had some behind the scenes info and was a fun to listen to so I'm confused why he can't do that same thing with his own work.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Agree about the narration-mode commentaries. Can't listen to those.

Too bad, because when he's just, you know, "talking", he's a delight to listen to, and he's a wonderful storyteller.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
It's possible that Friedkin just wanted to get this movie out on blu-ray asap and didn't want any pending extra feature approval to delay it further. That or Friedkin was just burned out on doing something like that after all the years' work of getting the rights to this film unclogged.

These days studio releases rarely have new extra features anymore. Booklets and digibook content is usually as good as it gets.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Yeah, extras were for the golden age of the DVD market, these days even high-profile releases don't tend to get that many, and older film like this isn't likely to get any.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
My friend saw Friedkin at a showing of Sorcerer the other night. I wasn't there, so I'm paraphrasing. After getting feedback on his commentaries ("you only talked about what's on-screen", "you didn't talk enough about the movie") Friedkin has decided not to do them anymore. He said commentaries are like going to a museum to see a Rembrandt and having the artist tell you how he did a particular stroke.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
That's his prerogative, of course. While I'm iffy on the tweaking of the colors (or not), as long as a director doesn't go mucking with his film ala Lucas (I'm Mike O over at originaltrilogy.com by the way, Neil), I'm certainly willing to forgive a lack of extras. Is certainly be happy to listen to a commentary if he ever records one, but it's not top priority.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
He's no Frankenheimer when it comes to commentary. I agree that he just kind of tells you about what you're already seeing (I listened to The Exorcist commentary). Which is odd, because I read his book and it was a lot more illuminating about details behind his projects.

P.S. I'm all over this even without extras.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Hollywoodaholic said:
He's no Frankenheimer when it comes to commentary. I agree that he just kind of tells you about what you're already seeing (I listened to The Exorcist commentary). Which is odd, because I read his book and it was a lot more illuminating about details behind his projects.

P.S. I'm all over this even without extras.
You thought that he simply did a "narration commentary" for the original cut of "Exorcist"? I think his extended cut commentary is "telling us what's on screen" time but the track for the original version is pretty good, IMO...

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Colin Jacobson said:
You thought that he simply did a "narration commentary" for the original cut of "Exorcist"? I think his extended cut commentary is "telling us what's on screen" time but the track for the original version is pretty good, IMO...
Then I probably heard the extended cut version, or THE VERSION YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN or whatever it was hyped as. The original was better. It always is.

Rob Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Sorcerer looks great about 80% of the film. Looks good for the rest. A couple of grainy shots...I'm happy with it. It was worth the wait.
Now I need something else to anticipate. Got a date on True Lies yet?

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Rob Mac said:
Sorcerer looks great about 80% of the film. Looks good for the rest. A couple of grainy shots...I'm happy with it. It was worth the wait.Now I need something else to anticipate. Got a date on True Lies yet?
Once upon a time I'd have been excited about True Lies on Blu-Ray, but now I'm just figuring Cameron will wash it in orange and teal again. I got the 1080p version from Vudu, I supported Walmart, I hate myself for it.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I saw the DCP projected last night and thought it looked excellent. Very natural and film-like. The colour was possibly a bit over saturated for a film of its era, but there was nothing that jumped out as being revisionist tinkering.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Very excited to see this as it has been a very long time since I have watched this film. This week provides a very nice line-up of catalog blus for films it has been ages since I have watched...along with Sorcerer I'll be watching The Pawnbroker and the Michael Caine version of Get Carter.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Reggie W said:
Very excited to see this as it has been a very long time since I have watched this film. This week provides a very nice line-up of catalog blus for films it has been ages since I have watched...along with Sorcerer I'll be watching The Pawnbroker and the Michael Caine version of Get Carter.
The Caine version was released on Standard DVD to coincide with the debut of the Stallone version in theaters. Looking for the Caine version (DVD), I called a Virgin Megastore and asked - my mistake - for "Get Carter". After a wait of several minutes, the clerk came back on the line and told me that DVD's are not released while the films are still playing in theaters.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Dave B Ferris said:
The Caine version was released on Standard DVD to coincide with the debut of the Stallone version in theaters. Looking for the Caine version (DVD), I called a Virgin Megastore and asked - my mistake - for "Get Carter". After a wait of several minutes, the clerk came back on the line and told me that DVD's are not released while the films are still playing in theaters.
Ha, I've gone through that kind of thing before as well, Dave. Perhaps you are just lucky that when you said "Get Carter" you did not get put on hold until a guy picked up and said "Hi, this is Carter."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks