What's new

WHV Press Release: Saturday Morning Cartoons Volume 2 (1 Viewer)

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Originally Posted by younger1968

thanks for the correction!

I ju The 1970s were an interested decade to be a kid, especially if you were born in 1964-1974. Cartoons would start at 8AM and go till 12PM. I remember eating my captain crunch cereal and watching cartoons all morning. Once afternoon roll around then I was outside playing.

I have been collecting 1970s cartoons/shows and have almost 35-40 dvds. I am looking forward to this release because shazzan/banana splits is included on the package.
Your parents were slack. Sitting around until noon in pajamas was not an option in my household. By 10 a.m. - we were dragged out for various insane parent inspired trips to malls, lumberyards, barber shops and other "we got things to do!" destinations. I remember standing in line and watch a TV playing the Krofft Supershow while waiting for my swine flu shot. I'm happy at getting a chance not to revisit those childhood memories, but see all the shows I had to miss because my stupid father insisted I get a haircut and he couldn't wait until Soul Train came on and killed the fun.

I do hope Warner figures out what's really going on these DVDs - although even the last set listed Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space on the DVD menu.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I am curious why they give incorrect information about the episodes? I really like these release but I have a few complaints:

1) Not enough cartoons in each set.
2) No episode list in the packaging or on the box.
3) I wouldn't have made all the same cartoon choices i.e. Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch. Look I love retro shows and cartoons but, Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch? This has got to be one of the worst cartoons ever. It ranks up there with Catdog.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by dhammer

I i.e. Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch. Look I love retro shows and cartoons but, Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch? This has got to be one of the worst cartoons ever. It ranks up there with Catdog.
I liked Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch. The theme song was great. It did have its fans.
James---

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
If you compare the two volumes being released you will see that some new ones were added while others were dropped. My guess is Warner Bros is testing interest in saturday morning cartoons to see what they will do next. We still have not seen cartoons like Partridge 2200AD, Jabberjaw, Super Harlem Globe Trotter, skatebirds, captain caveman & the teen angels. I could go one, but, the point is that there are many cartoons out there in limbo.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
There are a couple episodes Of Partridge Family 2200AD on the first season of The Partridge Family.

I hope they get the episode lists ironed out.

I hope it's true the 1975 Tom and Jerry and Sealab 2020 will be included on the 1970's. Been wanting good quality episodes of both. The 1975 Tom and Jerry was the first I ever saw of the duo.

I'd also love to see Harlem Globetrotters, New Adventures Of Gilligan, Lassie's Rescue Rangers, Jeannie (rights conflict with Sony can't be too big to deal with since they were able to have the cartoon with the Partridge Family kids as guest stars on 1970's part 1)

Sadly, one of the big 1970's cartoons I want is not with Warner, it's Universal's Emergency+4 from the live action Emergency!

Originally Posted by younger1968

If you compare the two volumes being released you will see that some new ones were added while others were dropped. My guess is Warner Bros is testing interest in saturday morning cartoons to see what they will do next. We still have not seen cartoons like Partridge 2200AD, Jabberjaw, Super Harlem Globe Trotter, skatebirds, captain caveman & the teen angels. I could go one, but, the point is that there are many cartoons out there in limbo.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
I’m surprised that, by this time, WHV has not offered any corrections to the apparent errors and inconsistencies to their content descriptions of these sets. (See earlier posts in this thread.)

Has there been any news I’m unaware of?

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
I hope they release Banana Splits too. I'd love to have Danger Island on dvd!
Ronne Troup was great. :)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Ronne Troup was a hottie back in 1960s and 1970s. I also believe in the 1980s she was on knots landing for a short period of time.

I like Banana Splits and remembering hearing there was issues with the original and there was too much work to restore them for dvd use. I think we may see banana splits released if the saturday morning cartoons volume #2 are a success. I have been collecting the old cartoons for several years and still throw them on the dvd player every so often.

I like to see a few more shows released like Emergency +4, New Adventures of Gilligan, Captain Caveman and the teen angels. Josie and pussycats in outerspace, skatebirds, tarzan lord of the jungle, Shazam, Superfriends 1973 and others.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Originally Posted by Regulus /forum/thread/290047/whv-press-release-saturday-morning-cartoons-volume-2/30#post_3590221
Warners did put out the pilot as a bonus dvd with a Wonder Woman boxset. the issue for release that I've heard is Warner's reluctance to put out a show shot on 16mm.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Actually, Warner Brothers owns the rights to the live-action SHAZAM! series - it the same thing that happend with the animated TARZAN and NEW ADVENTURES OF BATMAN. They got ownership of the shows and syndication rights.

It's a similar situation with STAR TREK (The Animated Series) and THE BRADY KIDS - both shows produced by Filmation and the rights reverted to Paramount.

It's the animated SHAZAM! Series that had the split ownership issues. (Similar to THE ARCHIES and FAT ALBERT)

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
a much better mix including only one Jetsons and zero Flintstones. and the first Banana Splits put together as hourlong show. This is worthy of cracking open a fresh box of Frankenberry

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Interested to see that perils of penelope pittstop and Wacky races were dropped. I like the new adventures of gilligan was added. However, it also appears that release is not complete. So, I am guessing there is some more information coming around the release.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Speaking strictly on the Sixties Volume – I’ll leave any assessment of the seventies volume to those better acquainted with seventies material – I like this! [COLOR= black]MUCH BETTER than what was announced! [/COLOR] [COLOR= black] [/COLOR] [COLOR= black]Surprisingly, few if any, Hero/Adventure shows -- but lots of funny animal toons! I DID want more Herculoids, so I’m disappointed there! [/COLOR] [COLOR= black] [/COLOR] [COLOR= black]THREE WB shows (Bugs, Porky, Road Runner) and TWO MORE Quick Draw McGraw Shows! [/COLOR] [COLOR= black] [/COLOR] [COLOR= black]And SPACE KIDDETTES?! YES! More Peter Potamus, etc! [/COLOR] [COLOR= black] [/COLOR] [COLOR= black]Nit pick, Wally Gator was not a Sat AM show -- but I'll take it gladly! [/COLOR] [COLOR= black] [/COLOR] [COLOR= black]And the only TRUE Double-Dip is The Jetsons, as the Magilla Gorilla SHOULD have opening and closing theme credits, as with Volume One. [/COLOR] [COLOR= black]
I’m happy… unless they decide to change it again!

Disc 1[/COLOR] Quick Draw McGraw: Mine Your Manners/Vacation Tripped/Person To Prison
Space Kidettes/Young Samson & Goliath: Show # 5 - Space Heroes / The SSX-19 Bugs Bunny Show: #23 - Big House Bunny/Canned Feud/Home Tweet Home The Porky Pig Show: #3 - Scaredy Cat/Baton Bunny/Feather Dusted Adventures of Young Gulliver: Dangerous Journey The Wally Gator Show (with Lippy the Lion and Touche Turtle): Droopy Dragon/Whale of a Tale/Sea-Saw The Jetsons: Elroy's Mob
Disc 2 Quick Draw McGraw: The Mark of El Kabong/Party Pooper Pop/Chily Chiller Peter Potamus Show (with Breezly and Sneezly and Yippie, Yappie, Yahooey): Wagon Train Strain / Missile Fizzle / Black Bart The Road Runner Show: #1 - Zip and Snort/The Jet Cage/The Wild Chase Atom Ant Show (with Precious Pupp and Hillbilly Bears): Atom Ant Meets Karate Ant / Bowling Pinned / Picnic Panicked Tom & Jerry Show (MGM-TV): Saltwater Tabby/Mutts About Racing/Just Ducky Magilla Gorilla / Punkin Puss / Ricochet Rabbit: Show #3 - Private Magilla / Army Nervy Game / TV Show [COLOR= black] [/COLOR]
Edited by Joe Tor1 - 8/1/2009 at 01:05 pm GMT
Edited by Joe Tor1 - 8/1/2009 at 01:05 pm GMT

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i can give you my take on the revised seventies list. I grew up watching 1970s cartoons, so people born in 1965-1974 would .have grown up watching saturday morning cartoons

• Disc 1
    • Help! It's the Hair Bear Bunch: Keep Your Keeper
    • I dont remember this show
    • New Adventures of Gilligan: Off Limits
    • I love this show, because it was continuance from the tv show. I have been waiting for this show to be released.
    • Sea Lab 2020: Deep Threat
    • this show only had 13 episodes and was on in 1972.
    • Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan: The Mardi Gras Caper (Episode 12)
    • This show was included on volume #1
    • Shazzan: The Living Island / Master of the Thieves
    • This was another show from 1960s that was re-aired in 1970s
    • Yogi's Gang: Mr. Bigot
    • Yogi's gang was a flying ark
  • Disc 2
    • Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour: For Scent-Imental Reasons/Stop, Look and Hasten, Hare-Way to the Stars/Duck! Rabbit, Duck!
    • Valley of the Dinosaurs: Forbidden Fruit
    • this is a cartoon version of the land of the lost
    • Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape (HB): Show #1 - No Way Stowaway / That Was No Idol, That Was My Ape / The Ski Bunny / The All American Ape / Stay Awake Or Else
    • Banana Splits Adventure Hour: Joning the Knights/The littlest Musketeer/"Danger Island
    • This show was actually from 1968-1969 and was re-aired in the 1970s.
    • Inch High Private Eye: Diamonds are a Crook's Best Friend
    • i dont remember this show
    • New Adventures of Batman and Robin: Sweet Joke on Gotham City
    • I have this series on dvd and it was part of the tarzan/Zorro hour
I like the selection, but, I would have liked them to include Jabberjaw, Scooby-doo laff lypics, Brady Kids, etc. I am still planning to purchase the set, because it takes me back to my child-hood.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I think the 60's set stinks. Bogus selection of the mostly childish cartoons. Hardly any of the good hero/adventure. The 70's selection is much better.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty happy with the 70's set, though I think Shazzan should be on the 60's set. That's when it came out. But overall it's pretty good. I do hope this series continues, I'd like to get sample episodes of Where's Huddles? Moby Dick, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids, the seventies Addams Family, and a few other series. They might not have the most interesting plots, but they had great theme songs.

Ahh! The sixties and seventies. When television wasn't too deep, but just mindlessly colorful.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks