1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

WHV Press Release: Mayberry R.F.D: The Complete First Season

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 17, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    For the First Time on DVD
    Mayberry R.F.D.:
    The Complete First Season
    Take a Leisurely Spin Down Memory Lane With All 26 Season One Episodes of the Heartwarming Classic TV Series that Celebrates Family Values, Neighborly Ways, and Country Living!
    Bringin' a Lil' Small Town to Your Small Screen on April 8, 2014

BURBANK, CA (December 17, 2013) – The classic continuation of The Andy Griffith Show comes to DVD for the very first time, as Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group releases MayberryR.F.D.: The Complete First Season onto DVD April 8, 2014. Starring Ken Berry (F-Troop, Mama’s Family) alongside Francis Bavier (Aunt Bee) and George Lindsey (Goober Pyle) from The Andy Griffith Show, this four-disc set includes all 26 half-hour episodes from the first season of this uplifting series. Mayberry R.F.D.: The Complete First Season is priced to own on DVD at $29.98 SRP.
    Imagine a world with no cell phones, no internet, and no rock ‘n’ roll. It’s not science fiction…it’s Mayberry R.F.D.! This 1968 spinoff of the popular series The Andy Griffith Show stars Ken Berry as widowed farmer Sam Jones, who’s raising his son Mike (Buddy Foster) with the help of their outspoken, headstrong, and lovable housekeeper, Aunt Bee. Add to the mix Sam’s girlfriend Millie (Arlene Golonka), good-natured Goober, County Clerk Howard, and fix-it man Emmett, and you’ve got a charming, laugh-filled slice of American small-town life!
    26 HALF-HOUR EPISODES
    1. Andy and Helen Get Married

2. The Harvest Ball

3. The Race Horse

4. Help on the Farm

5. The Copy Machine

6. The Panel Show

7. Youth Takes Over

8. The Church Play

9. Mike’s Losing Streak

10. Sam Gets a Ticket

11. Emmett’s 50th Birthday

12. Miss Farmette

13. Sam and the Teenager

14. New Couple in Town

15. Aunt Bee’s Cruise

16. Aunt Bee and the Captain

17. Driver Education

18. Howard’s Hobby

19. The Camper

20. Sam the Expert Farmer

21. The Pet Shop

22. An Efficient Service Station

23. Emmett’s Retirement

24. Millie’s Girlfriend

25. The Church Bell

26. Sister Cities

BASICS
    $29.98 SRP / No MAP​
    Street Date: April 8, 2014​
    Language: English (5.1)
    4 DVD-9s
    Subtitles: English & French
    Run Time: Approximately 780 minutes
    DVD Catalog # 1000440690
    UPC # 883929380428

2. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    Got mine today - awesome quality.

3. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    Glad to hear that - mine is supposed to be coming later today.
    Thanks for the report, John.

4. Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley Second Unit

Paul
    I just placed my order for this today. I have some fuzzy memories of watching this in reruns back in the 70s. I'm sure it'll all seem new to me now.

5. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Hoping it does well in sales where we'll be getting the last 2 seasons of the show in a year's time.

6. topanga

topanga Extra

Felicia
    To all those who have gotten their copies of Mayberry, RFD I need you to help me with this.

On Disc 3 as I am watching some of the shows I can hear some slight audio of talking/chattering. It doesn't seem to belong in the show. It sounds to me as if these discs had something on it already and other audio is bleeding through, or something else is going on here. This is first time I have ever experienced something like this. I know I am not going crazy.

I first noticed it on "Emmitt's Retirement," the second episode on this disc. You can really hear it in the scene about 20 minutes in where Sam and the others are fixing a typewriter.

I've also checked the first and third episodes on this disc and heard it slightly on and off.

Could you let me know if anybody else here can hear what I'm hearing.

Thanks

7. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

Emmett's Retirement is on disc 4--not disc 3. I did a spot check on the scene in question. At first, I didn't hear anything, but yes, I did eventually hear some chattering. It is very low. I don't know if I would have noticed it unless you told me, but it's there.

8. topanga

topanga Extra

Felicia
    Ron, thanks for confirming what I heard and glad to know it just wasn't my dvd. I haven't gone through much of the other discs, but I did catch a little of the same chattering on Disc 1 on episodes "Help On Farm" and "The Copy Machine." Although they were not as obvious as on Disc4.

9. Brian McP

Brian McP Second Unit

Brian
    I often hear this in tv shows and movies that may have been out of circulation for years -- in scenes when someone is yelling, you may hear a slight echo of that same yelling 2 or 3 seconds earlier -- one can barely hear it, but it's there, and not only on shows or films shot on video tape.

Don't know what it is, but always thought it was curious. I too have the "Mayberry RFD" set coming down here by mail and look very much to it -- this show certainly has been out of action for many years and maybe the show's original materials after 45 years are showing (and sounding) their age.

10. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

Coming from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment I was surprised (and delighted) to discover that the video source elements were generally good on this (likely upgraded or retained for tv syndication telecasts). If it had come out on DVD-R I definitely wouldn't have supported it.

I was surprised to see that Andy Griffith make a few token appearances in a few episodes after the series debut (I always though that after his wedding Sheriff Taylor moved away somewhere else to begin life anew) but frankly he comes off as being obtrusive and I was glad to seen him phased out allowing the "new" group to handle their own show. Ken Berry does a satisfactory job as the series lead (and only "normal" character) and Andy just isn't needed here (as he sensibly must have realized). Credit has to be given in that the impossible was achieved as the show successfully carried on beyond THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW (CBS 1960-68).

It would have been nice if Don Knotts and Jim Nabors had made an occasional guest appearance but this would never happen.

The history books say that MAYBERRY RFD (CBS 1968-71) was cancelled as part of a generally phasing out of "rural" tv shows on the CBS Television Network but I think the main reason was the departure of Frances Bavier (aka Aunt Bea) the last remaining founding cast member from the original series whose substantial presence always contributed so much. Alice Ghostley was a terrible substitute (as she was when previously replacing Marion Lorne on BEWITCHED) and CBS likely bitterly realized that it could only be downhill from then on without Ms. Bavier (indeed while still reasonably respectable the tv audience ratings did substantially drop for the third season). It's really too bad as the show lost its loving "family" format and it would have been great if she had remained for at least all three seasons.

While watching the DVDs I realized MAYBERRY RFD debuted the same season (1968-69) as LAND OF THE GIANTS (ABC 1968-70). I still have a copy of the TV GUIDE 1968 Fall Preview issue. Indeed MAYBERRY RFD cast member Buddy Foster would make a guest appearance in the GIANTS episode "Rescue" (23/03/1969) during this selfsame season!

Now the struggle is get the two remaining seasons out on DVD (and from my part there is no immediacy on this). I certainly hope that THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW enthusiasts rally to this classic tv series DVD release. There is no reason for them not to!

:D

ChrisALM, Professor Echo and Ron1973 like this.
  11. bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2 Supporting Actor

Tom Hunter
    So I take it from the above post, that a fan of TAGS would enjoy this??

I have a friend that is a huge fan of TAGS and I was considering getting this for him as a gift.

So do you vote 'yay' or 'nay' on that??

12. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Bret, I say go for it and let your friend know this is like a Season 9 of The Andy Griffith Show and he should like it overall.

13. Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley Second Unit

Paul
    The picture quality on this release is very nice. I'd think that most AGS fans would like this one too. It's VERY low-key, but the familiar characters are like spending time with old friends.