1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

WHV Press Release: How The West Was Won: The Complete First Season

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    The Classic TV Series About One Family’s Struggles On The American Frontier Comes To DVD For the Very First Time!
    HOW THE WEST WAS WON:
    THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON

Includes “The Macahans” as Bonus Content—
    The Original TV Movie That Started it All!

BURBANK, CA (March 18, 2013) – Experience the triumphs and tribulations of the Old West when Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group brings How The West Was Won: The Complete First Season to DVD July 9. Originally broadcast in 1977 and based on the 1962 film of the same name, the first season of this beloved series features an all-star cast including James Arness (Gunsmoke), Eva Marie Saint (On the Waterfront, North by Northwest) and Bruce Boxleitner (Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Tron). This two-disc set contains the entire first season, told in three 90 minute segments. As an added bonus, the release includes the "The Macahans," the 1976 TV movie about the Macahan family’s initial journey out West to escape the Civil War. How The West Was Won: The Complete First Season is priced to own on DVD at a $19.98 SRP.
    How the West Was Won: The Complete First Season is a family saga focusing on the lives of the Macahan family in the Old West. The leader of the family, Zeb Macahan (James Arness) is accustomed to the harsh realities of life on the frontier. His sister-in-law, Kate (Eva Marie Saint), alone since the death of her husband, is struggling to maintain a home for her daughters and sons. Luke (Bruce Boxleitner), Kate's eldest son, is pursued by the law for desertion from the Union Army. Their stories are played out against a realistic recreation of the American West in that lusty, hard-hitting period when laws were frequently broken and progress was charted by individual suffering and survival.
    RUN TIMES
    Part 1 (95 min.)
    Part 2 (96 min.)
    Part 3 (88 min.)

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES
    TV Movie - The Macahans

BASICS
    $19.98 SRP / No MAP
    2 DVD - 9s
    Street Date: July 9, 2013
    Order Due Date: June 4, 2013
    Language: English
    Aspect Ratio: 4 X 3
    Run Time: Feature-Approximately 279 min/Enhanced Content-Approximately 118 min.
    DVD Catalog # 1000382573

2. GlennH

GlennH Well-Known Member

Glenn
    I remember watching these with my dad on their original broadcasts and enjoying them. I'll be anxious to see reviews. The price seems right.

3. Timothy E

Timothy E Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Timothy Ewanyshyn
    This is an excellent TV series. The complete series has long been available in Denmark on R2 DVD with English audio so it is nice to finally see it released in North America.

4. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Well-Known Member

Same here. I watched this with Dad and my cousin. The location scenery is outstanding in this series.
    [​IMG] I had considered getting that Scandanavian release but decided to wait for R1 news.

My ranking for this one is at the top of my TV shows.

James Arness was pefect as the "mountain man" in this miniseries.

5. Ferdinand Hudson

Ferdinand Hudson Well-Known Member

Ronnie
    Probably a wise choice, the Soul Media R2 DVD release in Scandinavia wasn't that good looking, even the "remastered" sets that followed later on primarily just switched the old single layer discs to dual layer ones with little to no real improvement. Third times the charm...

6. Jeff Willis

Received my set today. It's 4:3 OAR. It was listed as 1.78:1 at some 'net sites.

Picture Q is good but hoped for a little better than what I see after doing a couple of quick checks on both discs. It's good, probably the same as what Encore Westerns aired last year but not in the class of the CBS remastered releases like The Fugitive, Perry Mason, etc.

The pilot tv movie is on disc 2. I'll start there to watch in original airing sequence.

It was a long wait for the R1 release. Glad it's here. [​IMG]

7. Gary OS

Gary OS Well-Known Member

Gary
    Thanks for the first-hand info, Jeff. I've hit my quota of "Likes This" for the day, but I do give you a :thumbsup:.

Gary "I wish the video quality had been top notch, but at least we have this series released now" O.

8. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Well-Known Member

I'll be picking mine up at my local B&N this weekend.With respect to "The Complete First Season": how many additional seasons did the show have?

9. Jeff Willis

It had 2 seasons, airing from 1978-79, 24 episodes.

[​IMG]

10. Dave B Ferris

O.K. so two seasons, total. Thanks for the answer.I have another question: how do the three 90-minute segments correlate to the actual first season episodes? For example, is each 90-minute segment comprised of three 30-minutes episodes? If so would that mean there were 9 episodes in the first season?

11. derosa

derosa Well-Known Member

I poked around a bit to try and figure out the broadcast history because there is
    conflicting information, and misleading descriptions on the web.

Here's what I found, it wasn't a regular tv show, but more of a continuing mini-series,
    and in the final season, a mid-season series of TV movies.

The series began as a 2.5 hour TV movie "The Macahans" that aired Jan 19 1976,
    this is what is being called "the pilot".

A new miniseries "How the West was Won" ran for 2 hours each night over 3 nights
    on ABC in Feb of 1977, these are the shows being released as "Season 1" on the DVD.

In February of 1978, another 20 hours of mini-series started on Sunday nights,
    The first two weeks were each 3 hour movies, then it aired from 8pm to 9pm
    on Sundays through march, april, and into may. The final week ran a 3 hour movie
    finished out the series, May 21 of 1978.

The final season, aired Monday night beginning January of 1979, in the
    mid-season slot, (After Monday Night football season ended). It ran as
    11 stand alone TV movies, (2 hours each) on Monday nights, and this series
    concluded in April.

Jeff Willis likes this.
  12. Dave B Ferris

Wow, even with your helpful research, I'm still a little confused - probably my fault.*If* I understand correctly, there were three "seasons", so to speak:Season 1 - A pilot, followed by a three-part mini-series.Season 2 - Two three-hour movies; followed by three months ofone-hour episodes; followed by another three-hour movie.Season 3 - Eleven two-hour movies.

13. Jeff Willis

^ Derosa, thanks, was about to post but you have the info laid out well.

Here's the S1 dvd release menu:

Disc 1:

Episode 1 Original airdate 02/06/1977 1:35

Episode 2 Original airdate 02/13/1977 1:35

Disc 2:

Episode 3 Original airdate 02/20/1977 1:28

Pilot TV-movie Original airdate 01/19/1976 1:58

That's about right. There's a fan site that has good info about the series here

14. derosa

derosa Well-Known Member

That's right. Technically, the orignal 1976 TV movie, and the 1977 mini-series
    ran a year apart, so it really aired in 4 different years. But you got it.

15. derosa

derosa Well-Known Member

Good site, just missing the original air dates, which i found in an Amazon review.

There are a few ABC promos for the show on YouTube, I'm a bit of a collector for 70s
    network promos, especially ones featuring Ernie Anderson, this one is from the finale
    of the 1978 season, the May 21st 3 hour movie:

16. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Well-Known Member

So it looks like season 2 and 3 DVD releases will be much bigger with about 4-5 discs needed per season if my calculations are correct. Makes sense they would test the waters with this smaller 2 disc season 1 release 1st.

17. derosa

derosa Well-Known Member

Yes, it looks like the Region 2 complete set is 14 discs.

18. Jeff Willis

It looks like Amazon pulled the set although it's available from a seller.

The usual Amazon message is posted at the product page:
    After looking at a couple of recent Amazon reviews, I'm guessing they pulled the set because of its description. It's listed as the "complete 1st season" but that's arguably not accurate, depending on how one defines this miniseries since it began with the Pilot, then a 3-part miniseries, then continued into the next tv season.

I've spot-checked my set and I don't see any other issues, picture Q, etc.

Amazon page is here