1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

WHV Press Release: Forbidden Planet (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, May 10, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG] SIX SCI-FI ACTION FAVORITES DEBUT ON BLU-RAY DISC™ FOR THE FIRST TIME · FORBIDDEN PLANET · MARS ATTACKS! · THX 1138 DIRECTOR’S CUT · LOST IN SPACE · A SCANNER DARKLY · MATRIX RELOADED AVAILABLE SEPTEMBER 7, 2010 Burbank, Calif., May 10, 2010 – A wave of six science fiction action favorites are blasting onto Blu-ray Disc for the first time on September 7, 2010. Presented by Warner Home Video, each film has been selected to showcase the stunning technical brilliance of Blu-ray™. With its crisp sound and spectacularly vibrant colors, there is simply no better way to watch movies at home. Each title is individually priced at $24.98 SRP. Orders are due August, 3, 2010. The upcoming wave of sci-fi titles includes the much anticipated release of Forbidden Planet on Blu-ray, one of the most influential science fiction films in cinematic history. The grandfather of sci-fi movies, Forbidden Planet features a number of Oscar®-nominated special effects, groundbreaking use of an all-electronic music score and the first screen appearance of both Robby the Robot and the C-57D flying saucer starship (this was the first film in which humans are depicted traveling in flying saucers of their own construction). A 50th anniversary version of the film was restored by the Warner Bros.-MGM reconstruction crew before its HD DVD release in 2006, and since then there has been an enormous consumer demand for its Blu-ray debut. Another title making its long-awaited Blu-ray debut is Mars Attacks! the comic science fiction hit directed by Tim Burton (Alice in Wonderland) and based on the cult trading card series of the same name. Mars Attacks! features a huge ensemble cast which includes Jack Nicholson, Lukas Haas, Annette Bening, Jim Brown, Pierce Brosnan, Sarah Jessica Parker, Glenn Close, Martin Short, Michael J. Fox, Jack Black, Natalie Portman, Rod Steiger, Tom Jones, Danny DeVito and more. With their mind boggling special effects and futuristic themes, sci-fi movies are some of the most sought after Blu-ray titles in the marketplace. Other titles being released on Blu-ray as part of Warner Home Video’s science fiction action promotion include THX 1138Director’s Cut, Lost in Space, A Scanner Darkly and Matrix Reloaded *. According to DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group, with input from all major motion picture studios, Blu-ray software continued to see significant growth in the first quarter of 2010, with sell-through up 61 percent and rental up 36 percent, compared to the same period last year. The DEG also announced that Blu-ray hardware sales experienced remarkable growth, with set-tops up an astounding 125 percent versus first quarter 2009, indicating a strong consumer demand for Blu-ray. About The Films Forbidden Planet A dutiful robot named Robby speaks 188 languages. An underground lair provides astonishing evidence of a populace a million years more advanced than Earthlings. There are many wonders on Altair-4, but none is greater or more deadly than the human mind. Forbidden Planet is the granddaddy of tomorrow, a pioneering work whose ideas and style would be reverse-engineered into many cinematic space voyages to come. Leslie Nielsen portrays the commander who brings his space cruiser crew to the green-skied Altair-4 world that's home to Dr. Morbius (Walter Pidgeon), his daughter (Anne Francis), the remarkable Robby...and to a mysterious terror. Featuring sets of extraordinary scale and the first all-electronic musical soundscape in film history, Forbidden Planet is in a movie orbit all its own. Director: Fred M. Wilcox Starring: Leslie Nielsen, Walter Pidgeon and Anne Francis [​IMG] FORBIDDEN PLANET (BLU-RAY) TRT: 98 minutes MPAA Rating: G Language: English U.S. Street Date: September 7, 2010 Order Date: August 3, 2010 Catalog / UPC: 1000123199 / 883929114436 $24.98 SRP

2. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    "Monsters, John. Monsters from the Id."

My favourite sci-fi film of the 1950's. Can't wait.

3. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Well-Known Member

Is the lack of special features in the announcement an omission or is it barebones?

4. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I highly doubt the special features from the HD-DVD release would be dropped. They should be identical.

5. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    What were the HD special features? I hope they are there. It looks like FB will be reasonably priced on release.

6. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Well-Known Member

Yippee! I was just about to ask if there was any new news on Forbidden Planet!

HD extras are the same as those that came out in the tin box set on DVD. The tin box set was cool because it also had a model of Robby the Robot and lobby cards.

Extras included: lost footage and deleted scenes. Excerpts from The MGM Parade of Stars which were clips of Walter Pidgeon talking to the camera on the set of another film and promoting FP.

Documentaries include: TCM Watch the Skies! Science Fiction, the 1950's and Us. Amazing! Exploring the Far Reaches of Forbidden Planet, and Robby the Robot: Engineering a Sci-Fi Icon.

The last extra is cool because it's about a fan who was so enterprising, he got access to the original Robby the Robot prop/costume and restored it and then recreated his own replica in exacting detail.

Of course, new digital transfer from restored picture and audio elements. 5.1 Dolby digital. Science Fiction movie trailer gallery.

So let me see, for me, that makes this the 6th copy that I'll own! Video tape, Criterion laser disc, first DVD, DVD Tin box set, HD-DVD and soon to be blu-ray. The Criterion LD is really cool because it has deleted scenes and an un-cut version of the ending, photos of the sets and costumes, text of screenplay with notes, lobby card images, and text of Fatal Planet, the short story that led to FB, and that's a list of the main stuff, there was more!

The only thing about this release is why they didn't have or announce if they have any new input from Leslie Nielson, Anne Francis and Earl Holliman for a documentary or audio commentary.

7. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen
    Where did you see the list of extras. If the list is true then I might retire the DVD special edition, (keeping the robot though). And are they including The Invisible Boy as they did the tin?

8. Nelson Au

Allen, sorry if my post was not clear. I was listing the extras that are on the past Tin DVD set and HD-DVD set. And I forgot to include the Invisible Boy extra too.

I think the thinking of the above poster is probably right; that the blu ray would likely include or have all the extras ported over from the past release.

I wouldn't retire my DVD set though. I still have DVD players in other parts of the house.

9. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen
    Thanks. I all is true the tin becomes a catch all and I will gladly give away the standard DVD. I seems that I am looking as forward to this as you are. I will be a good September for both of us.

10. Nelson Au

Yes, I'm really looking forward to the Blu-ray!

11. Jesse Blacklow

Extras have been posted at The Digital Fix:

12. felipenor

felipenor Well-Known Member

I really wis this came in a digibook packaging.

13. Nelson Au

Thanks Jessie. If those are the extra features, then they've not ported all the extras from the past release over. That's too bad. But at least if you have the DVD , you can access the features there.

14. Jesse Blacklow

What's missing? I was using your post and the 2006 release's entry at DVD Empire as a reference, and they're identical.

15. Nelson Au

Hi Jesse, The one item I didn't see on your list of the extras is: Robby the Robot: Engineering a Sci-Fi Icon.

But then I looked closer and I see it was part of one of the line items and it appears that it wasn't separated. So my bad!

16. Fritz Nilsen

Fritz Nilsen Well-Known Member

Fritz Nilsen

Sounds interesting! And these are not on the recent HD-DVD or the upcoming BD?

I may have to eBay that LD!

17. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Nelson, you and I continue our amazing adventures in Laserdiscs here.

I too have the Criterion Laserdisc, as well as the tin set DVD of Forbidden Planet. And I love that Criterion laser for the same reasons.

Probably why I hung onto pretty much all of my Criterion lasers.

(Like Midnight Cowboy, Tootsie, Secret Honor, etc etc etc)

18. Dick

Dick Well-Known Member

Rick
    Seems as though they might have commissioned a scholar to provide a commentary track after all this time.

19. Nelson Au

Kevin,

Yeah, Criterion had some of the finest laserdisc sets. Nicely thought out supplimental materials that you just don't see today. My first Criterion was 2001: A Space Odyssey.

20. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

I just can't let go of mine. Even releases like the CAV Close Encounters and Ghosbusters, in spite of the in-depth DVD and Blu releases that followed. I still love the materials from the original lasers. Same thing applies to Forbidden Planet.