1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

WHV Press Release: Excalibur (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

EXCALIBUR

THE HIGHLY ANTICIPATED BLU-RAY™ DEBUT

ARRIVES MARCH 8

FROM WARNER HOME VIDEO

The Visually Stunning Masterpiece Comes Alive on Blu-ray Like Never Before

Burbank, Calif., November 8, 2010 – The beloved fantasy film based on Sir Thomas Mallory’s classic Le Morte D’Arthur, one of the first books ever printed, makes its highly anticipated debut on Blu-ray Disc™ March 8 from Warner Home Video. Starring Nigel Terry (The Lion in Winter, MI-5, Dr. Who) and Oscar® winner, Helen Mirren (Best Actress for The Queen, 2006), Excalibur (1981) is a bold and faithful adaptation of the legend of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. Nominated for an Academy Award® for Best Cinematography (Alex Thomson, 1982), the visually stunning and brilliantly shot action sequences come alive on Blu-ray like audiences have never seen before. Timed for Easter holiday gift giving, orders are due February 1, 2011 (SRP $19.98). Excalibur is also available for permanent download from iTunes, Xbox Live, Sony PlayStation and Amazon Video On Demand.

Directed by John Boorman (Tailor of Panama, Deliverance, Hope and Glory), Excalibur boasts an impressive supporting cast, including Nicholas Clay, Cherry Lunghi, Nicol Williamson, Patrick Stewart (X-Men franchise, Star Trek: Legacy franchise) and early work from Liam Neeson (The Chronicles of Narnia franchise, Clash of the Titans, Taken, The A-Team,) and Gabriel Byrne (TV’s “In Treatment”). Focused on the epic battle of good and evil with strong elements of heroism, the film took home a Saturn Award from the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films for “Best Costumes” (1982) and also won the award for “Best Artistic Contribution” (John Boorman) at the 1981 Cannes Film Festival.

ABOUT THE FILM

The legend of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table receives its most impressive screen treatment in Excalibur from visionary moviemaker, John Boorman. All the elements of Sir Thomas Mallory’s classic Le Morte D’Arthur are here: Arthur (Terry) removing the sword Excalibur from the stone; the Round Table’s noble beginnings and tragic decline; the heroic attempts to recover the Holy Grail; and the shifting balance of power between wily wizard Merlin (Nicol Williamson) and evil sorceress Morgana (Mirren). With Patrick Stewart, Gabriel Byrne, and Liam Neeson in notable early screen roles, Excalibur serves up.. “one lush enraptured scene after another.” (The New York Times, Pauline Kael)

Director:

John Boorman (two Academy Award nominations for Directing and Best Picture for Deliverance in 1972, and three nominations for Best Picture, Directing and Writing for Hope and Glory in 1987).

Cast:

· Nigel Terry

· Helen Mirren (Nominated for four Oscars, won Best Actress in 2006 for The Queen)

· Nicholas Clay

· Cherry Lunghi

· Nicol Williamson

· Patrick Stewart

· Gabriel Byrne (TV’s “In Treatment,” Golden Globe® winner for Best Actor in TV Series 2009)

· Liam Neeson

·

Special Features:

· Full-length Audio Commentary by director John Boorman

· Theatrical Trailer

EXCALIBUR (1981)

BLU-RAY DISC

TRT: 140 mins

Language: English

MPAA Rating: R

U.S. Street Date: March 8, 2011

Order Due Date: February 1, 2011

Cat / UPC: 1000176853/ 883929167982

$19.98 SRP

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Warner Home Video Blu-ray™ Discs offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, as well as extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color and beautifully crisp sound. The format also provides a higher level of interactivity, with instant access to extra features via a seamless menu bar where viewers can enjoy features without leaving or interrupting the film. For more information:http://warnerblu.warnerbros.com/

About Warner Home Video
    With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, a division of the Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Well-Known Member

Let's hope it's properly framed this time. Next up: Zardoz!

3. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Well-Known Member

Greg
    uh, where's the "Camelot" tie in WB?

4. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd

I'm betting this is the same transfer that the HD DVD had. If so then you'll be disappointed.

5. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I was hoping for some more extras on this release. At least a making of doc or featurette. Or something historical related to the book or the legend. Just something besides an audio commentary. Oh, well, hope the picture is great.

6. Ray H

Ray H Well-Known Member

Ray
    I'm disappointed in the lack of extras as well. Wasn't it hinted back when the Deliverance SE was released that Warners was working on a special edition of this title as well?

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Well-Known Member

The DVD was supposed to include a making of doc. There was apparently a 50 minute doc shot during production.

8. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Well-Known Member

Greg
    For some reason I'm not excited about this release. I saw this in the theater when it first opened and it looked okay and I don't expect the Blu-ray to look much better.

9. Ed Speir IV

Ed Speir IV Well-Known Member

Too bad they (once again) didn't use the original theatrical poster artwork...I absolutely hate that bland cover.

10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

11. 24fpssean

24fpssean Well-Known Member

Excalibur was framed for 1.66:1 (British Flat) and I really hope it isn't cropped for 1.78. Chins and eyeballs will be cut off and the image will be horribly cramped and crowded. Warners cropped A Room With a View to 1.78 from it's original 1.66, something I believe was even sanctioned by cinematographer Tony Pierce-Roberts and it's unwatchable. Sony at least had the integrity to release A Passage to India in it's original 1.66 even though nearly everyone who made the film is dead and can't be consulted. Though The Color Purple was specifically framed 1.85:1, Warners released it on blu ray cropped on the left and right for 1.78 and you can tell. Cinematographers for some reason are giving the okay to release their work truncated or reformatted and it looks awful. Do they want to reinvent their old work? Do they think we're stupid and won't notice? (Well, most of us are...).

12. Worth

Worth Well-Known Member

Nick Dobbs
    I agree that 1.66 films shouldn't be cropped to 1.78, but the difference between 1.85 and 1.78 is so minor that you'll get far more variation in the masking from theatre to theatre.

13. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Well-Known Member

Rated PG?? Did they do a Saturday Night Fever here ;)

14. David Norman

David Norman Premium
    Supporter

There was a PG cut released, but I'm 99% sure when I initially saw it was most definitely R just for the blood spatter and lopped off limbs.

Surely that has to be a typo. 140 minutes is the unedited version, 119 is the running time listed for the edited version.

15. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen
    If memory serves me right the original release to theatres was an R with a running time of around 140 minutes. There was later a re-release to try to bring in a larger gross and interest a larger audience and the rating was PG and about 20 minutes of sex and violence was cut out. All home video editions have use the R rated version.

16. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    I've never seen the PG cut, but according to IMDb it runs about 21 minutes shorter than the R cut. If Warner made it available through seamless branching I wouldn't object.

17. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Well-Known Member

Patrick McCart
    1.78:1 transfers are almost always the 1.85:1 framing area except with slightly more vertical area visible. Studios aren't taking masters with exactly 1.85:1 framing and cropping on the sides. 1.66:1 to 1.78:1 is another matter, but the idea that 1.85:1 films are being cropped to 1.78:1 is ridiculous. It was an old argument in 2001, let alone 2011...

18. johnSM

johnSM Well-Known Member

Hoorah for Excalibur on Bluray at last. Epic fail for the cover art however - I love the original poster! I'm getting VERY tired of the unimaginative cover art for 80% of todays bluray releases. Bring back the original artwork already...

Having said all that - pre-ordered!

- John

19. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Well-Known Member

Totally forgot there was a PG version! They better include both and not just the PG if this is not a typo...

20. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen

The only version that has been released on VHS, Laser, and DVD has been the 140 minute R-rated version. I see no reason that Warner's will include both versions and the only version released will be the R-rated 140min. From day one the preferred version was the R-rated one with both the director and studio. They only did the PG version to expand the audience to include possible school groups that were under the age of 17 for a re-release. While it is stated that both versions were released at the same time, that is a falsehood, since the MPAA has strict rules that only one rated version can be in active release at a time to avoid confusion.

The most famous film that was released as an R then re-released as PG with major cuts was SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER. And the PG version was one butchered film. It was so obvious that the F-word was dubbed over. The reason again for the re-editing was that theatre owners were having a very hard time keeping underage patrons out and the film was so successful that Paramount wanted to include the younger teens. They recalled all the R-rated prints and had them destroyed so they could not accidentally be sent out, of course they weren't all destroyed and many ended up in collectors hands. The PG version was the only one anyone could see until the VHS appeared and it was the original R rated version, thank goodness.

I also recall that M*A*S*H also went this route as a PG re-release but with little success due to the cuts and dubbing making the film almost not funny. LAST TANGO IN PARIS was also re-rated from an X to an R in 1981 with cuts and is now back as an uncut NC-17.

Over the years, MIDNIGHT COWBOY and others have been re-submitted to the MPAA and their rating was changed from and X to an R or R to a PG without any cuts just due the change of attitudes.