1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

3D WHV Press Release: Dial M For Murder (3D Blu-ray) and Strangers On A Train (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

The Bugs Bunny 3-D cartoon was released in late September 1953 and played most engagements with Warner Bros. 3-D western, THE MOONLIGHTER.
    Warner Bros. released a standard 2-D version to theaters on November 13, 1954.

2. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Hmmmm.... I hope that listing "Preview Version" under special features for Strangers on a Train doesn't mean it's only a SD extra. You'd think it would be easy enough to branch for the full feature in HD.

3. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I missed this the first time I scanned the press release, so it bears repeating:

And I don't even own a 3D monitor. I do have a PS3 - any quality 3D front projector's out there?

4. rayman1701

rayman1701 Well-Known Member

Ray Miller
    Wow!, just wow! Can't believe the floodgates opened all at once for Hitchcock, not that I'm complaining. Super excited about getting Dial M in 3D and I don't even have a 3D setup yet, but we are slowly moving in that direction so it's awesome that this will be waiting for, or "taunting" me to upgrade sooner. After Hondo not getting 3D it's nice that WB didn't make the same mistake. Expensive but awesome second half of the year.

5. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Well-Known Member

Exellent news about Dial M! I am looking forward to this title on blu-ray! The 3-D aspect is a delightful bonus. I guess I will finally get a 3D player to go with my 3D capable TV. :)
    Strangers on a Train is another delightful bonus!
    Since these 2 titles were a part of a DVD Hitchcock box set called the Hitchcock Signature Collection from 2004, perhaps some of the other titles in that set will surface soon? Mr and Mrs Smith, I Confess, Stage Fright, The Wrong Man, Foreign Correspondent, Dial M, Strangers on a Train, Suspicion and North by Northwest are in that set.
    I must confess I bought that set mainly for Dial M, Strangers and Suspicion. I already had North by Northwest at the time, but didn't mind the extra copy! This is pretty neat, later this year, many of the titles, if I am not mistaken that are part of the Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection DVD box set from Universal will finally come out on BD too.

6. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Warner no longer has the rights to Foreign Correspondent. The Caidin Trust/Westchester Films licensed it to Criterion a couple years ago (in the same deal that brought Stagecoach to Criterion). It's been on Criterion's Hulu channel for some time. A Blu-ray/DVD release from Criterion is probably inevitable, but only they know when.

7. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Well-Known Member

Thanks Brandon, I forgot about Criterion having Stage Coach. I'll pick that up during the Barnes and Noble yearly Criterion sale

8. mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan Well-Known Member

Mike
    The preview version is included as a bonus feature, but I'm not sure it it's in HD or what yet.

9. JoHud

JoHud Well-Known Member

Joe Hudak
    Thanks. Not sure how I missed that..

10. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

Yeah, but meant, as big symbolic stunt of "Warner heartily endorses vintage 3D, and here's our marketable corporate icon to prove it!" on the first 50's Blu3D's?
    The exec definitely said there was a B3D version in the works, but didn't say with what, and wouldn't wait up nights for The Moonlighter just yet.
    Guess it's coming with Wax, which they thought would pull in more of a "culty" Bugs audience, but putting it with Dial M would've been a good "Vintage night at the movies" touch.

11. Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr Well-Known Member

Will purchase 'Dial M' just to support the 3D cause (blind buy).

12. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

They've also got POPEYE, ACE OF SPACE in the vaults. That was the first 3-D cartoon designed for 1.66:1 widescreen.

13. RolandL

RolandL Well-Known Member

Roland Lataille
    Projector Central has reviews of 3D front projectors.

14. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Premium
    Supporter

Ray
    Given that its not clear whether Warner will ever again release a classic 3D title in 3D, it would have been nice if they had put that and Lumberjack Rabbit on this as extras. BTW: Do you need a special 3D blu disk for a 3D transfer? Could they put a 3D title and a 2D title on the same disk?

15. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Thanks!

16. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Yes. Warner has done it several times with their IMAX documentary releases.

17. Mark-P

Mark-P Well-Known Member

Mark Probst
    Yay Warner Brothers! That's the way to do it.
    Boo Paramount!

18. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

19. SAM33

SAM33 Well-Known Member

Stewart
    I have a JVC I'm very happy with. 3D has to be seen BIG to really work in my opinion.
    I'm SO excited this has finally been made official - it's been hinted at and promised for a couple of years.

20. Garysb

Garysb Well-Known Member

I am so excited that 1950's 3D are finally being released. I hope Dial M exceeds Warner Bros expectations and that it will lead to additional films such as House of Wax and Kiss me Kate. Hate thinking about buying a new TV but if these come out I may just do that.
    Is it too early to start hoping Amazon has a fantastic Black Friday deal on the 15 film Hitchcock Box Set?