What's new

WHV Press Release: Dial M For Murder (3D Blu-ray) and Strangers On A Train (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
YES! I've been aware of this project since September, 2011. You don't know how difficult it's been keeping quiet about it!
The success of this release will be the impetus for more Golden Age titles from the vaults. I plan to buy three; one for each dimension.
4b5fff8f_534908_3995127803426_1889444711_n.jpeg

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by mikeyhitchfan /t/321724/whv-press-release-dial-m-for-murder-3d-blu-ray-and-strangers-on-a-train-blu-ray#post_3941157
I really only care about the spine artwork as that's all I see most of the time. Same with the disc label..I like a cool design but it's no deal breaker either way.

Sorry I mistyped ... I meant they deserved digibook releases w/ better cover art. Just wish WB took more pride in their cover art as of late.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Bob Furmanek said:
Does anyone know what the aspect ratio for Dial M is going to be?
I provided 1.85:1 documentation to Warner Bros. back in September 2011.
I hope they listened, because the full frame version was really only good for old 1.33 TV. Too much dead space above the heads.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Did not expect to see Strangers on a Train too. Happy to see it released. Dial M for Murder was telegraphed well ahead of time, but its still pleasing to get a locked release date.
Very interesting to see how WB is marketing these. Dial M for Murder is given a striking horror/slasher sort of cover art and aesthetics, while Strangers on a Train is being portrayed as a spicy noir. While not exactly honest portrayals of either film, at least some effort went into the cover art on these, unlike the super-generic Little Shop of Horrors cover.
Question about Strangers on a Train--are both cuts (preview & theatrical) on the disc? I can't find mention of it in the press release.

adklz

Agent
Real Name
jim
I'm a big Hitchcock fan, but I place "Dial M for Murder" pretty low on my list of favorites. I haven't seen it since a showing a couple of decades ago at the Coolidge Corner in Brookline, Ma. so maybe a re-viewing is in order. However, I consider the scene of the attempted murder to be the single most dramatically effective use of 3-D I've seen. If you've seen it you already know what I'm talking about and if you haven't you're in for a treat.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Steve Tannehill said:
W00t! The first 3D title that really excites me!
Exactly! I was waiting for the classics in 3-D. I saw this and House of Wax c. 1983 on rereleases to theaters....they blew all other 3D movies of the early 80s outta the water.
Maybe we will finally see Andy Warhol's Frankenstein as it was originally intended. The TRUE forebearer of the 70s/80s 3D flix

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Hate to bring this up, but will there be a 3D anaglyph version of DIAL M as well as the proper 3D format? I have zero plans to buy a new tv just for 3D, especially as every time I've checked out a 3D display I was absolutely not impressed (either didn't work at all or didn't look good).

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
bgart13 said:
Hate to bring this up, but will there be a 3D anaglyph version of DIAL M as well as the proper 3D format? I have zero plans to buy a new tv just for 3D, especially as every time I've checked out a 3D display I was absolutely not impressed (either didn't work at all or didn't look good).
The PR above makes no mention of including an anaglyph version.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
This really is the year for Hitchcock Blu-rays. My wallet is already pleading for mercy just thinking about the fall Hitchcock releases. I have not moved to 3D yet, but this news is certainly a push in the right direction; just as HOW THE WEST WAS WON moved me to Blu-ray. I will purchase the DIAL M FOR MURDER 3D since it also includes a 2D version and I will hold on to the 3D version until the time comes for my change over.

I applaud Warner Bros for digging in their vault for a valued classic 3D title and they prove again that they are the leader in working their classic titles to their fullest. To bad Paramount missed the boat with a HONDO 3D release. And oh yes, THE HOUSE OF WAX 3D will push me over to convert.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have been waiting for this announcement for what seems like DECADES! Couldn't be happier, and can't wait to have both releases.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
No disrespect meant Ben, but I sure hope not!
We've tried for the past 20 years to dispell the myth about 3-D movies of the Golden Age being shown anaglyph in the 1950's. To release it that way on Blu-ray would be a HUGE mistake.
If you'd like more Myth-busting - including the one about DIAL M not playing anywhere in 3-D until the 1980's - please check out this page on our website: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/top-10-3-d-myths
Ironic that the film which effectively put an end to 3-D production in 1954 would be the first one on 3-D Blu-ray.
Bob

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hate to bring this up, but will there be a 3D anaglyph version of DIAL M as well as the proper 3D format?

Hey Ben!

I would just about guarantee no anaglyph version.

I own dozens upon dozens of 3D titles and none of them
have ever come with anaglyph glasses. What gets released
on 3D these days is intended for the new displays.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Bob Furmanek said:
No disrespect meant Ben, but I sure hope not!
We've tried for the past 20 years to dispell the myth about 3-D movies of the Golden Age being shown anaglyph in the 1950's. To release it that way on Blu-ray would be a HUGE mistake.
If you'd like more Myth-busting - including the one about DIAL M not playing anywhere in 3-D until the 1980's - please check out this page on our website: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/top-10-3-d-myths
Ironic that the film which effectively put an end to 3-D production in 1954 would be the first one on 3-D Blu-ray.
Bob
Haha, none taken! That's why I initially wrote that I hated to bring this up. Guess I'll get the combo just in case things change in a some years for me. Like I said, I haven't been impressed by what I've seen of home 3D so far unfortunately. If someone can figure out a way to affordably retrofit my current HDTV for effective 3D, that'll be different perhaps. Of course, if Universal releases their CREATURE movies in 3D, as well as THE MASK and the "Warhol" horrors, I might change my mind faster! ;)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Bob Furmanek said:
If you'd like more Myth-busting -
(Jamie Hyneman) Well...we can TRY it, I don't think it's gonna work... :cool:
And not to complain (hardly! :D ), but weren't we also supposed to get Warner's 3D Bugs Bunny "Lumber Jack-Rabbit" as a bonus on the landmark first one, to keep that 1954 vibe going? Or is Warner saving that for their eternal House of Wax promises? (And if so, what happens to the Popeye short?)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Steve Tannehill said:
W00t! The first 3D title that really excites me!
Same here. I upgraded to a 3D TV primarily in the hope of having releases like this. This is awesome news.
Looking forward to the Blu of Strangers as well. I agree that the cover art is horrible. I think I can tell that's Ruth Roman's mouth on the cover; but really, it could be two models. I hope there will be some good cover art to download like there was for the three MGM Hitchcock's released earlier this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks