1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

WHV Press Release: Camelot 45th Anniversary Blu-ray Book

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Lerner and Loewe’s Magical Musical Classic Winner of Three 1968 Academy Awards®

CAMELOT 45th Anniversary Premium Blu-ray™ Book

With a Bonus CD Soundtrack Sampler

Debuts on April 24 from Warner Home Video

Burbank, CA., January 9, 2012 – Camelot -- the musical classic based on the Tony Award®- winning stage production from Lerner and Loewe (“Gigi,” “My Fair Lady”) will celebrate its 45th anniversary this year with a newly remastered Blu-ray™ version, debuting April 24 from Warner Home Video (WHV).

Based on T.H. White’s “The Once and Future King,” this lavish film adaptation recalls a fleeting, mythical time of love and chivalry -- the reign of King Arthur and the Knights of The Round Table. Although torn apart by the conflicts between passion, love, honor and duty, it was a golden era that could have been ... and could yet be. Richard Harris (Harry Potter 1 and 2, Unforgiven) stars as King Arthur, with Vanessa Redgrave (Coriolanus, Letters to Juliet)opposite him as Queen Guinevere and Franco Nero, Redgrave’s current husband (Die Hard 2) as Lancelot. Joshua Logan directed and Jack L. Warner produced.

Winner of three 1968 Academy Awards® (Best Adaptation Scoring, Best Art Direction and Best Costume Design), this memorable musical contains numerous unforgettable musical numbers, including "If Ever I Would Leave You," "What Do The Simple Folk Do?" “The Lusty Month of May," and, of course, the eminently hummable classic title song.

Camelot will be offered in WHV’s premium Blu-ray™ book packaging ($35.99 SRP) including 36 pages of photos, trivia and more. This disc also features a bonus CD soundtrack sampler, as well as a wide variety of bonus features (see below). Pre-order date is March 20.

Camelot’s Special Features include:

· All-New Featurette Camelot: The Fallen Kingdom

· Commentary

· Camelot: The Castle That Never Was

· The Story of Camelot

· The World Premiere of Camelot

· Theatrical Trailer

CD Soundtrack Sampler:

· I Wonder What the King is Doing Tonight?

· Camelot and the Wedding Ceremony

· How To Handle a Woman

· If Ever I Would Leave You - Love Montage

Camelot 45th Anniversary Blu-ray Book

Street Date: April 24, 2012

Order Due Date: March 20, 2012

Run Time: 179 minutes

Rating: NR

Price: $35.99 SRP

Catalog #: 1000243855

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

*Academy Awards® and Oscar® are both registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Sweet!
    Let's not go to Camelot then, tis a very silly place!

3. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Well-Known Member

Greg

4. GMpasqua

Greg

Should look pretty good, hope the sound isn't out of sync like the DVD (it was off quite a bit)

5. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Well-Known Member

I am positively dreading this release. Warners, over the years has made such a botch of this film. did you know that NEVER has Camelot been released widescreen on home vid with the correct soundtrack? The only version of Camelot to hav the correct soundtrack is the old pan and scan laserdisc. The first letterbox laser used a temp track mix. The dvd has used a remix, for which Warners was told, (by the origial mixer on the fim, Dan Wallin) that they did not have all of the correct materialsto remix this film. The original mix is a four track mix. It would be nice if Warners would search for this before they release the blu ray. What is arong with remix? So much. Wrong vocal takes on songs, wrong background mus,c wrong balance between underscore and dialogue - you name it. Notice that the dvd has a music only track and this does not. Wonder who would do the commentary? Richard Harris is dead, I doubt Vanessa Redgrave cares, and Franco Neros engish was never very good.

6. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Well, they've had time to do it right. It was announced two years ago as coming in 2012. If it's wrong, it's not because it was a rush job.

7. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Well-Known Member

Yeah, my engish, she no good neither. I have no idea who'd do the commentary. It doesn't sound like something Vanessa Redgrave would ever do, although it might be fun for them together, seeing as they finally got married after all those years. I think Warners will probably give us a good remastered transfer, but I also dread the soundtrack! Lord, I hope they do not use that mess of a soundtrack they used on the old dvd.

8. Douglas R

Douglas R Well-Known Member

Doug
    No mention of an isolated music track as on the DVD.

9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

10. GMpasqua

Greg
    I see WB is using the cover art from the last DVD release (which was voted among the ugliest DVD covers ever)

Considering the original iconic poster art for the film won the illustration of the year award back in 1967 (see above post #4)

Why wouldn't they use it for the Digital book?

Again, no one at WB seems to have ever taken an art class or has any kind of a clue

11. Ray H

Ray H Well-Known Member

Ray
    Warner actually produced a new bonus feature for this! More than they did for Excalibur. :eek:

12. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen

It does have that HBO mini-series cover look and is unacceptable in my point of view also.

13. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    It was on Starz. Too bad about that cover art the poster is great.

14. Craig S

Craig S Premium
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

Sad thing is, Warner used to use the original poster art for DVDs of classic films during the "glory years" when they were putting out their 2-disc Special Editions and all of those great classic box sets (and they still use original art for the Warner Archive series). It's beyond me why they changed to the CP (Crappy Photoshop) style of cover.

15. GMpasqua

Greg

what could have been

16. ajabrams

ajabrams Well-Known Member

Alan Abrams
    Could someone please explain the point of the bonus "soundtrack sampler" cd? WB seems to be doing this with their major musical releases (it's also on "Meet Me In St. Louis"). It seems to me that if someone wanted a cd of the soundtrack they would want it complete -- not just a few songs. Does WB think this will make people want to buy the complete soundtrack? Considering the vocal abilities of this cast, I'd sooner stick with the B'way cast album anyway. Just wondering....

17. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Well-Known Member

Interestingly, the bob Peak Art was NOT used for the original roadshow poster. when the film was cut by half an hor and put into general release, then and only then , was thePeak art first used on a poster. the peak art was on the souvenir book, the music folio, the soundtrack album, eveywhere but on the poster art.

18. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew

What also ticks me off is the fact that not only do these not add anything new, but they are shorter than the ones that have been commercially available for decades. Especially in cases where elements exist to create more comprehensive versions.

19. GMpasqua

Greg

Joe, the Bob Peak art was used for the roadshow release poster. For the general release they used the poster with the tinited photos (I'll post them later) for the 1973 re-release they used a modifed verision of the original roadshow poster (I'll post those also)

20. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    When I was a kid, I wore out my LP of Camelot listening to Burton, Andrews, and Goulet singing those wonderful songs. Than I saw this movie and I asked "what were they thinking?" Technically this is a well done movie. It would have been nice if Guenevere and Lancelot could sing. BTW, was Nero a box office draw at the time? I had never heard of him before. Why else would they cast him in the role?