What's new

WHV Press Release: Blood Diamond (Blu-Ray) & (HD DVD) (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'll probably go the rental route with this one. Zwick tends to be a bit ham-fisted at times though I did really like The Last Samurai.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unless, I'm mistaken this film was released to theaters late last year, if so the MSRP is $10-11 cheaper than most recent theatrical releases that make it onto HD DVD or BRD. I can't make up my mind which format I will buy it in, therefore, I preordered both. Will have to make a decision once I get closer to June 5th.:)

Crawdaddy

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

I think a good portion of us dual format people understand completely and wouldn't fault you in the least ...and it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one who's done this either. :D

BrettB

Senior HTF Member

Early reports are not good. Low bitrate to blame? Sacrificing vid. quality for feature-packed 30gb encode?

Anyone seen it yet?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Well there is a surprise, the low bit rate argument again. Since the only version currently released is BD, seems to me your argument (bit rate) holds no water. But then, the bit rate argument was always a red herring.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Me, it will be HD DVD all the way on this one, if nothing more than to see how WB incorporates internet content with the feature. It should be interesting.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Actually, Thomas, that is the arguement. Namely, Warner Bros. is catering to the 'lowest common denominator' (i.e. HD DVD specs). Rather than maximizing PQ for a higher capacity Blu-ray Disc, they are simply producing one transfer that fits on both.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
That is a pretty strong statement on this release without any facts to back it up. Who say's this is the case? What is the bitrate of this release, the file size. This release will be much different on HD as it is on BD, as there will be more features on the HD version.

We show around these accusations with no data to back them up.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Well, is it honestly any different than you saying just because Blood Diamond came out first on HD optical media it must be maximizing BD to its fullest? Because that is sure what your red herring bitrate comment suggests to me.

Anyway, no facts other than a pathetic 7.9mbps bitrate at this time. See here:

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/fusio...hp?tid/137411/

I'm sure once both releases come out one can compare the two. If there is ample room leftover on the BD and the HD DVD is maxed out, I don't think the concern is unjustified. As you say, it should be quite telling if the file size of the feature is the same for both releases.

My main point was not to discount the bitrate argument so blithley when this isn't the only instance of Warner Bros. not putting forth the extra effort to maximize the potential of a BD release (e.g. Superman Return/Happy Feet).

In the end, things are not looking good for this film on either format however. Its a good thing I only planned on renting it.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I certainly did not state it was utilizing BD's bit rate to it's fullest. Nor did I even imply that it was. The issue here is that it tends to be the most used argument even when there is nothing to validate it. It is jumped with damn near every release, and has yet to be proved one way or the other. A red herring is exactly what it is.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Just to add first hand data to the thread, I've had the BD for several days now. It is not a great looking transfer. However, I also watched the DVD several months ago, and I saw the same problems with that disc.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps the problem is in the video transfer itself then. I'd still like to see the file size comparisons between the BD and HD DVD versions when they're both released.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'm not sure if I buy the 7.9mbps number. That just seems way too low to even be possible. Most BD's average about 20-25 and even some of the lowest Warner VC-1 titles are in the 14-15 range. If that number is indeed true, then that would be about the same bitrate as MPEG-2 on standard DVD. I just don't buy it. I have read that the disc is a BD-50 about 29GB, with 21GB of empty space, which seems ridiculous (but that's a whole different debate). I'd like to know if the reason for the problems with this title are bitrate related or something else entirely.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
It really depends what is going in in the scene. A static shot with little or no movement can drop down quite low. My question is, is there any PS3 owner that actually watches films, or are they more interested in watching the bitrate meter? Also, has any one actually calibrated the PS3 bitrate meter to see if is accurate?:)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

There have been many releases to date in both formats that have had less than stellar encodes, and this could be just one of those cases, or it could be a bitrate issue. At this time we don't know.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I actually only really use it if something looks really spectacular or really disappointing to try and see if there's any correlation. The figures I quoted were from this list of BD bitrates, not by me looking at the PS3.

Yes, a 7.9mbps bitrate would not be uncommon during a specific shot. I meant that there was no way that the average bitrate was 7.9 mbps.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

You mean I don't have to watch the bitrate meter? I can just watch and enjoy the movie and the video without checking to make sure what I think I am seeing as good is actually good according to the magic numbers?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
:laugh: :laugh: Could not have said it better myself. You should do it soon as it causes ABRS (Abnormal Bit-Rate Syndrome) which can only be treated with excessive doses of your favorite adult beverage.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
I for one am looking forward to the web content

And I am the guy that has watched extras on maybe 10 of the DVD's that I own (out of about 200) I also never watch them on rentals

However, last week I moved my wireless router and switch downstairs, so that I can connect up my HDA2 through a wired connection.

I'll check it out and see if this online stuff is any good

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks