1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

WHV Press Release: A Christmas Story: Ultimate Collector's Edition (DVD/Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    A 25th Anniversary Tribute to the Original, Traditional, One-Hundred-Percent, Red-Blooded, Two-Fisted, All-American Christmas...

A CHRISTMAS STORY
    ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION

ON DVD & BLU-RAY™ HI- DEF NOVEMBER 4

Retro Tin Packaging Includes Great Goodies Perfect for Gift-Giving Season

Burbank, Calif., July 7, 2008 – On November 4, Warner Home Video serves up an old-fashioned holiday treat with DVD and Blu-ray™ Hi-Def Ultimate Collector’s Editions of celebrated humorist Jean Shepherd’s A Christmas Story to commemorate the film’s 25th Anniversary. Ingredients in the Two-Disc DVD version ($39.99 SRP) include five collectible cookie cutters in iconic Christmas Story shapes; a 48-page cook book filled with recipes inspired by the film; photos and quotes and a custom-designed chef’s apron.

All will be festively packaged in a collectible retro holiday cookie tin. Also in a nostalgic tin, A Christmas Story UCE Blu-ray™ Hi-Def ($49.99 SRP) will include a Leg Lamp light strand.

The stand alone, previously released single versions of the film are also available. The previously released Two-Disc Special Edition ($26.99 SRP) will be available in new Amaray packing. A Christmas Story Blu-ray™ Hi-Def will sell for $28.99 SRP.

About A Christmas Story

A Christmas Story, a nostalgic view of Christmastime in Indiana during the 1940s, stars Peter Billingsley as Ralphie, a nine-year-old who has only one thing on his Christmas list: a Red Ryder Carbine-Action 200-Shot Air Rifle. With his parents unwilling to buy him the gun because he might “shoot his eye out,” Ralphie decides to mount a full-scale, hint-dropping, Santa-begging campaign. He also endures a slew of calamities from snowsuit paralysis to the dreaded tongue-on-a-frozen-flagpole gambit. The New York Times calls A Christmas Story, “maybe the best Christmas movie ever.”

Special Features:
    Disc 1
    · Feature film (Widescreen)
    Disc 2
    · Commentary with Peter Billingsley and director/ co-writer Bob Clark
    · Original readings by Jean Shepard, author and voice narrator of A Christmas Story
    · Documentary: Another Christmas Story
    · Featurette: Get a Leg Up
    · Featurette: A History of the Daisy Red Ryder
    · Triple Dog Dare Interactive Trivia
    · Decoder Match Challenge
    · Hidden “Presents”
    · Original theatrical trailer

The Blu-ray™ Hi-Def edition will include the same special features all on one disc.

A Christmas Story Ultimate Collector’s Edition

Street Date: November 4, 2008
    $39.99 SRP
    Blu-ray™ Hi-Def Catalog
    $49.99 SRP

A Christmas Story Two-Disc Special Edition
    $26.99 SRP

A Christmas Story Blu-ray™ Hi-Def
    $28.99 SRP

Feature Running Time: 93 minutes -- Rated: PG
    16x9 Widescreen
    Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

So there's nothing new here as far as the original BD release, right? This is just a repackaging with the same disc as was released in 2006--dressed up with some doo-dads.

It seems to me that most of the feedback I've read on that BD release of A Christmas Story (and its transfer) was kind of middlin'.

3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Don't care. In for a blu ray leg lamp edition.

4. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    After reading the mediocre reviews for the Blu-ray/HD-DVD release of the film, I didn't upgrade, so I'm still making do with the Special Edition DVD. By the holiday season, I may be jonesing enough to see the movie in high def that I'll spring for this. It doesn't sound as if the transfer will be any different than the one that got the average reviews, however.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Matt: I'm thinking the same as you. I'll probably pick this title up when I see it in a used bin somewhere.

6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I should mention that I only have the original supercrappy DVD version so the extras are new for me, but the leg is gravy =)

7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough

ARGH!

Anything will be an improvement over that! (I had it, too, and the Special Edition was a HUGE upgrade over it.)

8. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    YEP!
    Blu-ray edition for this Christmas [​IMG]

very excited.

9. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Actually considering that this was a VERY low budget film from 1983 and the look that Bob Clark wanted, (soft focus nostalgic...) I think the BD captures it just fine. Look at some of the outdoor scenes and there's plenty of detail. I don't think they will spend the dough necessary to do a full blown restoration. Yes, there are a few nicks etc...
    How will they make it sharper if this is indeed how the film elements look? EE...? Contrast boosting? Crank up the color saturation for the "3-d POP!" crowd? No thanks.

and if you're in the Cleveland area, the best...

Home - A Christmas Story House - Ralphie’s House Restored to its A Christmas Story Splendor

10. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Dave, you're absolutely right. This one and 12 Monkeys were (in my mind) unfairly singled out as substandard transfers when the truth is that they provided an image faithful to the original film. Count me as one who would be horrified if this was given the "freshly waxed linoleum" look to make it "pop".

If I want 3-D "pop", I'll watch Beowulf.

11. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Dave if you get a picture of the leg INSIDE the box please post it!

12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Well...that makes things interesting. I always kinda wondered if what you fellas are saying might not be the case. I mean, this is one of those films that can only look "so good." I never saw it in the theater but figured that the soft look I've been used to seeing on DVD or broadcast TV was done for a reason.

I guess the only remaining question then would be: is the BD a worthwhile upgrade over the 2-disc SE? Thoughts, fellas?

13. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

I think Dave is right on the money here. A Christmas Story wash shot with filters on the lens to give it that soft glowing nostalgic feel. I rented the HD DVD and though it looked quite good.

And dang it the cookie cutters alone make it worth the price!!!! That is a nice package. Now if they would just include a Red Ryder Carbine-Action 200-Shot Air Rifle!!!

Doug

14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Doug:

You know you'd just shoot yer eye out...

[​IMG]

15. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Yep. That is the look Clark wanted.
    Be silly to make it all modern and sharp with POP!

I think if you have a big enough display or FP, the difference in the HD version over the SE DVD is quite apparent.

[​IMG]

and we ARE going to the convention in Cleveland!

16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Last Christmas season, I did an "A" versus "B" comparison and the difference on my 65" screen was quite apparent to me. Since, I have the HD DVD, I probably won't buy this BRD release, but with the extra material there's a chance I might change my mind.[​IMG]

17. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

That's good enough for me! I'll be looking for the BD. I don't need the bells and whistles...just the current BD release sounds like it will be fine for me.

Thanks, fellas.