What's new

WHV COMIC-CON ANNOUNCEMENT: Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Vol. 1 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Lord Dalek said:
You have to look at it from the perspective that about 50-60% of the pre-1946 shorts are badly written forgettable pap that is the epitome of "for die hards only". I'd love to see a complete fully restored presentation as well but its just not viable financially with a series as erratic as LT/MM is.
How so? Pre-1946 covers every cartoon Bob Clampett, Tex Avery, and Frank Tashlin made at the studio. Pre-1936, maybe...

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Patrick McCart

How so? Pre-1946 covers every cartoon Bob Clampett, Tex Avery, and Frank Tashlin made at the studio. Pre-1936, maybe...

I said about about 50%. Things don't really start getting good until circa-1939-40.

And those first two years of three-strip Merry Melodies are pretty painful to watch now.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I prefer the older toons to the 1946 and on ones. Once Bugs and Daffy became smug, sophisticated jerks, I lose interest. If this was done chrono order, I would be a very happy camper. I doubt we'll ever see the real early toons aside from what's already been released. :(

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Javier Aguirre
Russell G said:
I prefer the older toons to the 1946 and on ones. Once Bugs and Daffy became smug, sophisticated jerks, I lose interest. If this was done chrono order, I would be a very happy camper. I doubt we'll ever see the real early toons aside from what's already been released. :(
I thought I was the only one more interested in the pre-late-40's stuff. I would like to see the Merrie Melodies released too. I'm sticking to the T&J set, but I hope this does well so they get to release Fleischer's Superman cartoons on blu-ray (although I read terrible things about Warner's dvd, with many opening credits and stuff being wrong?). Apparently Mr. George Feltenstein declared at Comic-Con they could be released if this fall's animated releases do well.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by jaaguir
Apparently Mr. George Feltenstein declared at Comic-Con they could be released if this fall's animated releases do well.

Blackmail...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I want to make an important point again, as I've received several messages suggesting that I hate animated shorts, and this couldn't be further from the truth.

I'm against swag. The set as being released is terrific for both the uninitiated as well as those who want to have a great overall collection of WB animated shorts.

Putting out the entire series on Blu-ray, based upon new or recently created HD masters, is neither a simple nor inexpensive affair, but it needs to be done.

Many of the masters used for this release are new. Others go back just a few years, which means the quality in this initial release will be superb.

Currently the street price avec swag is just under $60. The swagless price is $42, inclusive of all content found in the swag set. That works out to less than 84 cents per animated shot. Well worth the price of admission.

That said, it would be great to finally see the entire library on Blu, possibly beginning in 1937 in sets containing 2 years or more per release. I note 1937, as I Love to Singa is included in this initial BD set.

That shot glass may have sent my ecological synapses into hyper-drive.

RAH

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Sometimes the "swag" can be neat. I've kept my Wizard of Oz 3-disc DVD (with the 3 Blus inserted in place) because of the excellent inclusion of the theatrical program, magazine reproductions, and production photos. The Jazz Singer has an entire disc of worthwhile documentaries and a disc with 4 hours of Vitaphone shorts, plus the same type of printed materials. Ben-Hur and Gone with the Wind had their theatrical programs intact. For Looney Tunes, the digibook is a great opportunity to reprint the Beck/Friedwald entries on the cartoons from their excellent (OOP) guide and production artwork. If swag needed to be included, why not a CD with available music only tracks for included cartoons and a Blu sampler of other Warner-owned cartoons?

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen a number of people mention that the book is the only good thing about the "swag" pack. Keep in mind that the digibook is going to be the packaging for the "swagless" edition as well, so unless you really need that shot glass, just order the regular edition. :cool:

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
Putting out the entire series on Blu-ray, based upon new or recently created HD masters, is neither a simple nor inexpensive affair, but it needs to be done.

RAH

I agree, Mr. Harris. Is there anyone with influence at the studio to prevail upon them the necessity to make the complete library available to fans in HD?

How can we persuade the powers that be that this needs to be done? Other than voting with our pocketbooks.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Timothy E

I agree, Mr. Harris. Is there anyone with influence at the studio to prevail upon them the necessity to make the complete library available to fans in HD?

How can we persuade the powers that be that this needs to be done? Other than voting with our pocketbooks.

As this is meant to be a standalone affair, the "voting with our pocketbooks" in the case won't send the correct message. I would presume / hope that if sales are high on this set, then the concept of some overriding and complete release may be a potential talking point. I do know that I great deal of work has gone into this piece.

RAH

Would it make a difference if we bought the digibook edition instead? I can't imagine having an entire collection of these big boxes. What's next? An ACME product?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by eric scott richard

Would it make a difference if we bought the digibook edition instead? I can't imagine having an entire collection of these big boxes. What's next? An ACME product?

I'm partial, having run out of quality shelf space a decade or so ago.

If you love LT and MM, buy the anti-swag.

RAH

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Don't be misled. I am not referring to a glitch with the discs, I only ever had a Disney NBG and that was about 2000 with a local release, might have been Pinocchio which had a fault near the center which caused frame jamming. The disc had coroded at that point and an oily looking stain appeared in that area. I have seen this on CDs but, at least the track changes still worked and yo just avoided the faulty track. Not so on laserdisc(i have about 800) or DVDs. The faulty has been Amazon's Shopping carts that have added extra copies to the title, sometimes after the order had been placed and recently some items(like People on Sunday Blu Ray, which I still await the delivery) did not appear as ordered and I found a few titles were no longer on pre-order along with People so I just reordered most of those titles. I have had shopping cart ideas implemented by Amazon which they have refined further since then. I am a big customer of there sites currently and hope it continues for a long time yet but I do use others and go back to DD(for cheaper WAC, for example) as they have reduced prices again from their oldtime highs. I hope this answers the glitch question.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Fox came unstucks with their Shirley temple box sets when they issued medals or whatever and had to recall them after authorities got onto them.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Warner sure has a funny idea of what constitutes an "Ultimate collectors" set. A shot glass and some bumpf is not aimed at animation collectors. This set is aimed at people who like to collect garbage for garage sales. An actual "Ultimate collectors" set would be a complete chronological release of the Looney Tunes/ Merrie Melodie shorts in the best possible picture and audio. Th-th-th-th-that's all, folks!

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon updated their listing for this set. It looks like there are an additional 18 cartoons on what we originally thought was just the "bonus features" disc 3. So for those keeping track, there are actually 68 cartoons in this collection. The price is looking a lot nicer now, especially for the Plain Jane release. I'm looking forward to this one, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that all the shorts will make it to Blu-ray eventually. Disc 3 (All Special Features): A Greeting From Chuck Jones Chuck Amuck: The Movie Chuck Jones: Extremes & In-Betweens, A Life In Animation Chuck Jones: Memories Ofchildhood The Animated World Of Chuck Jones (9 Cartoons) - Point Rationing Of Foods - Hell-Bent For Election - So Much For So Little - Orange Blossoms For Violet - A Hitch In Time - 90 Day Wondering - Drafty, Isn't It - The Dot And The Line: A Romance In Lower Mathematics - The Bear That Wasn't How The Grinch Stole Christmas! Pencil Test The Door Bonus Cartoons (9 Cartoons) - Fright Before Christmas From Bugs Bunny’s Looney Christmas Tales - Spaced Out Bunny From Bugs Bunny’s Bustin’ Out All Over - Duck Dodgers And The Return Of The 24 1/2th Century From Daffy Duck’s Thanks-For-Giving Special - Another Froggy Evening - Marvin The Martian In The Third Dimension - Superior Duck - From Hare To Eternity - Father Of The Bird - Museum Scream

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Glad their getting all the Chuck Jones stuff out of the way. I know, he's great, but I'm more a Tex Avery/Bob Clampet man. :P

I'll bite on these I guess. It's still a burn since the Golden Collections were "good enough" for me. I want a complete set, preferably in one format.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Jamie E said:
Amazon updated their listing for this set. It looks like there are an additional 18 cartoons on what we originally thought was just the "bonus features" disc 3. So for those keeping track, there are actually 68 cartoons in this collection. The price is looking a lot nicer now, especially for the Plain Jane release. I'm looking forward to this one, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that all the shorts will make it to Blu-ray eventually. Disc 3 (All Special Features): A Greeting From Chuck Jones Chuck Amuck: The Movie Chuck Jones: Extremes & In-Betweens, A Life In Animation Chuck Jones: Memories Ofchildhood The Animated World Of Chuck Jones (9 Cartoons) - Point Rationing Of Foods - Hell-Bent For Election - So Much For So Little - Orange Blossoms For Violet - A Hitch In Time - 90 Day Wondering - Drafty, Isn't It - The Dot And The Line: A Romance In Lower Mathematics - The Bear That Wasn't How The Grinch Stole Christmas! Pencil Test The Door Bonus Cartoons (9 Cartoons) - Fright Before Christmas From Bugs Bunny’s Looney Christmas Tales - Spaced Out Bunny From Bugs Bunny’s Bustin’ Out All Over - Duck Dodgers And The Return Of The 24 1/2th Century From Daffy Duck’s Thanks-For-Giving Special - Another Froggy Evening - Marvin The Martian In The Third Dimension - Superior Duck - From Hare To Eternity - Father Of The Bird - Museum Scream
Well, as a Marvin The Martian fan, this makes it even more appealing. Other than the Duck Dodgers series, I think this set contains ALL the Marvin shorts (at least all I know of). I may have to bite for the double dip. David

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
It'll be nice to get the additional Chuck Jones material. However, I'm not overly familiar with the bonus cartoons mentioned, and I have a suspicion they are mainly later ones from the late 50s or 60s (correct me if I'm wrong). I too am a Clampett fan first and foremost, but I think many of Chuck Jones' 40s cartoons are absolute classics. I love his work up to the early/mid 50s, after which I feel it becomes hit and miss. I also much prefer the rounded look of the characters in his 40s cartoons to the scratchy, angular look he gave them in later years

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Russell G said:
I want a complete set, preferably in one format.
Based on what Robert posted, it looks like this set is not intended to be the first part of a complete collection. If you buy this, then you'll just end up buying the same cartoons again if they ever do make a complete series on Blu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks