What's new

WHV COMIC-CON ANNOUNCEMENT: Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Vol. 1 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

A standard digibook version will retail for $59.96 while an Ultimate Collector's Edition will be available for $79.98.

The Ultimate Collector's Edition will include a 52-page color book with rare images and sketches, a character shot

glass, souvenir tin magnet and a framed Litho Cell with a certificate of authenticity. These will all be housed in a

plastic box with with a slipcover. Each Ultimate Collector's Edition box will be numbered for exclusivity.

MORE INFORMATION TO COME ONCE WE RECEIVE PRESS RELEASE. PRELIMINARY INFORMATION BELOW WITH

AMAZON.COM PREORDER LINKS.

Disc 1:

• Hare Tonic
  • Baseball Bugs
  • Buccaneer Bunny
  • The Old Grey Hare
  • Rabbit Hood
  • 8 Ball Bunny
  • Rabbit of Seville
  • What's Opera Doc?
  • The Great Piggy Bank Robbery
  • A Pest in the House
  • The Scarlet Pumpernickle
  • Duck Amuck
  • Robin Hood Daffy
  • Baby Bottleneck
  • Kitty Kornered
  • Scardy Cat
  • Porky Chops
  • Old Glory
  • A Tale of Two Kitties
  • Tweetie Pie
  • Fast and Furry-ous
  • Beep Beep
  • Lovelorn Leghorn
  • For Scent-I-Mental Reasons
  • Speedy Gonzales
Disc 2:
  • One Froggy Evening
  • The Three Little Bops
  • I Love to Singa
  • Katnip Kollege
  • The Dover Boys
  • From A to ZZZZ
  • Chow Hound
  • Feed the Kitty
  • Hasty Hare
  • Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 Century
  • Hareway to the Stars
  • Mad as a Mars Hare
  • Devil May Hare
  • Bedevilled Rabbit
  • Ducking the Devil
  • Bill of Hare
  • Dr. Devil and Mr. Hare
  • Bewitched Bunny
  • Broomstick Bunny
  • Six others to be announced.

BONUS FEATURES DISC

• Behind-the-Toons featurettes
  • Chuck Jones documentaries
  • Two all new documentaries on Marvin the Martian and The Tasmanian Devil.
  • Bonus cartoons including: Chuck Jones' FDR re-election film, Hell Bent For Election (1942), Air Force re-enlistment film, A Hitch in Time (1955) and Ken Mundie's expressionist anti-war short, The Door (1967).
  • More to be announced!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
My level of irritation with this release is about as high as it's been for a WB release since the original Willy Wonka debacle 10 years ago. According to my count, 9 of the 44 announced cartoons are new (most of which are on the 2nd disc). The remaining 35 are scattered across all of the previous Golden Collections (All of which I own). So, in order for me to acquire these 9 new cartoons, not only would I have to repurchase the other 35, I would also not be able to sell (or even give away) any of previous releases. :f These are the cartoons that I count as new. I apologize if I missed anything. Lovelorn Leghorn From A to ZZZZ Hareway to the Stars Hasty Hare Mad as a Mars Hare Bedevilled Rabbit Ducking the Devil (This was released on the Daffy set) Bill of Hare Dr. Devil and Mr. Hare Count me out of this release!! Big Time!!:f

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
No offense to the good people at WHV, but I'd much rather have had more of the Golden Collections released than start the double dipping on BD. For those who never bought the Golden Collections this will be welcome release and I do give WHV credit for putting these shorts in the best possible quality. However I can't help but feel a bit let down knowing that those who supported all of the Golden Collections are going to be essentially stuck with what they have without the prospect of future volumes coming out. I can't financially justify buying new BD sets for a handful of cartoons not previusly released.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The 6 DVD sets had 60 animated shorts each - looks like WB is milking us to buy an extra set

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Surprised by the anger of the above posts. Obviously Warner will release the most famous and popular cartoons in a new format. I would assume that since these cartoons have already been restored for the Golden sets, little if any additional restoration is needed. You can be upset that they did not continue to release new to video cartoons but I think that is a separate issue from the first BD release of the Looney Tunes. I am excited and will be getting this. Strange there wasn't this negative vibe about the Tom and Jerry set coming out except the wondering if the cartoons will be uncut. I guess if Warner Bros hadn't done such a good job on the Golden sets there would be less anger at this set. Amazon is listing the last six cartoons on disc 2 as Witch's Tangled Hare, A A-haunting We Will Go Feed The Kitty Kiss Me Kat Feline Frame-up From A To Z-z-z-z Boyhood Daze

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
GMpasqua said:
The 6 DVD sets had 60 animated shorts each - looks like WB is milking us to buy an extra set
They also had a higher list price of $64 for SD set instead of $60 for the new BD. I am sure the new set will be heavily discounted as the Golden sets were.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Surprised by the anger of the above posts. Obviously Warner will release the most famous and popular cartoons in a new format. I would assume that since these cartoons have already been restored for the Golden sets, little if any additional restoration is needed. You can be upset that they did not continue to release new to video cartoons but I think that is a separate issue from the first BD release of the Looney Tunes. I am excited and will be getting this. Strange there wasn't this negative vibe about the Tom and Jerry set coming out except the wondering if the cartoons will be uncut. I guess if Warner Bros hadn't done such a good job on the Golden sets there would be less anger at this set.
You're partially right. The Tom & Jerry's were never done properly (not even very close IMHO), so the new set is really like a first set. I never even bothered with the third set or the Chuck Jones set. Second, I can easily sell or give away my old Tom & Jerry sets and avoid having multiples of the same titles sitting on my shelf. I'm sure I'm not alone in the fact that I don't have unlimited cash, so I often help to fund upgrades by selling off the old sets. It frustrates me a great deal when I cannot do this.:( It's not just about re-releasing titles. I would have no issue whatsoever if this was a 100% overlap. In fact, I would have strongly considered upgrading....but the way this release is configured makes it virtually impossible for me to do. Re-Release volumes 1-6 on Blu-Ray and then put new titles on volume 7. Is that so difficult or impossible to sell? Not to mention all of the claims from WB that they would never do this.:(

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I don't like the double dipping either. I do like that with these sets they are mixing the cartoons up a bit instead of a disc of all bugs, or the worst offender, a disc of all the Road Runners. I might pick this up just for the shuffled viewing experience

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Perhaps there is something in the blu ray format that takes care of this, but I hope they fix the framing with The Dover Boys. The Dover Boys is one of those cartoons that uses the entire film frame. As a result, when it appeared in The Golden Collection series (#2), significant parts of the action were cut off because of the difference between the theatrical aspect ratio and the standard television aspect ratio (especially in the pool room scene). The same problem was present on Have You Got Any Castles. The Dover Boys should have been window boxed (as Disney did with some of the shorts in the Treasures series). This is probably Warner's last chance to get it right.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
When I first heard about this I said that the set will consist of only a cross-section of cartoons already on DVD with a smatttering of new-to-DVD/BD cartoons (and a few uncropped cartoons from the LTSS discs). But even I in all of my cynicism didn't expect a smaller set than the GCs. And so, it's Volume 1. When will Volume 2 come out? Don't tell me. Let me guess. Fall of 2012. And then fall of 2013 and so on. Even though there is an abundance of remastered (and presumably 1080i) GC cartoons from the DVDs that could sustain a 2- or 3-release a year pattern with a percentage of newly remastered stuff in the mix. This is until it reaches Volume 5 or 6, and then we start over again. This said, the most annoying thing for me in this cartoon list is the absence of any Tweety cartoons from post-1948. Not even "Birds Anonymous".

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Some times people who work at the studios are only there because of a relation etc - not because they have any idea what they are doing

lately WB seems to believe only big box sets will get people to re-buy a movie on blu-ray (as if the picture up grade isn't enough) plus they must tie it into an Anniversary date - even if it's not the real anniversary of the film (Gettysburg) or they missed the boat and have an embarrassment on their hands (Ben Hur) Of course few will upgrade at those prices and most of the stuff is not really of any value.

Just because you have an MBA from a business school doesn't mean you understand the home entertainment industry

We are in a recession - people are lossing their jobs, they are saving their money (a new concept for most Americans under 40) and they are not spending it on things that don't really need...DVD sales are down? Yeah..so are sales in every other industry....how many houses have sold in your neck of the woods lately? These studio people are comparing sales % from 10 years ago....they should be comparing them to other industry sales % during the last few years

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not one of the psycho animation fans that rant and rave about every release but I'm not buying this set. It'd be great to see the shorts in HD but I'm much more interested in owning all of the cartoons. I realize that Warners needs to have some well known titles on the set as highlights but if they weren't able to release all their cartoons on DVD, how am I supposed to have any faith that that the far less popular Blu-ray format will see the release of all of them? Based on the responses in this thread, I'm not the only person that won't be buying this so I imagine that they'll be able to release 2 or 3 sets on Blu-ray before giving up and then Warners will somehow be left wondering why the fans abandoned the sets.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Wow. Lots of bad moods today. If you don't care about the bells and whistles, there's a standard edition too. Why bitch about it?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Scott Calvert said:
If you don't care about the bells and whistles, there's a standard edition too. Why bitch about it?
Definitely. When it comes out, the standard edition will be around $45 and, as far as I remember, that's about what I paid for the DVD sets so the price seems like the last thing to complain about.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Scott Calvert

Wow. Lots of bad moods today. If you don't care about the bells and whistles, there's a standard edition too. Why bitch about it?

The standard edition is pretty high priced and you are getting 10 less shorts and one less disc than you did on the DVD collections - At least give us 60 shorts - blu ray is supposed to hold more information isn't it?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Did anyone at Comic-Con say anything about the Censored Eleven, which WHV was indicating in 2010 that the would release in a new Archive or retail set.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Some of the box sets really are filled with junk...(and you know what I mean)

I didn't need that ugly little music box (and it's heavy) thing in "The Sound of Music" Box set (I did want the books)

And really.... what's with the "Wonka" scented pencils??????? They weren't Even in the film? Who stuffs these sets anyway?

Why not give us a reproduction of the pressbook instead...with the movie ads and actor write ups that appeared in newspapers accross the country 40 years ago?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Speaking only for myself, I'm not angry about this. I am disappointed more than anything. WHV's own publicity machine constantly trumpted the success of the Golden Collections and for a variety of reasons those stopped and were replaced by single disc collections that didn't seem to please anybody. I didn't buy those due to the negative feedback on HTF about incorrect framing, double dipped cartoons, etc. I would have continued to buy the Golden Collections, which were all very well done, but the way that this iconic library is being handled now seems very "dumbed down" to me. I like Eric's quote below and does correlate to my feelings on the matter:

It's not just about re-releasing titles. I would have no issue whatsoever if this was a 100% overlap. In fact, I would have strongly considered upgrading....but the way this release is configured makes it virtually impossible for me to do. Re-Release volumes 1-6 on Blu-Ray and then put new titles on volume 7. Is that so difficult or impossible to sell? Not to mention all of the claims from WB that they would never do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks