What's new

WHV Announces, THE TARZAN COLLECTION - Volume #2 -- October 31st (1 Viewer)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Just in from WB:
-----------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Johnny Weissmuller as The King of the Jungle

THE TARZAN COLLECTION VOLUME 2

Tarzan Triumphs ~ Tarzan's Desert Mystery

Tarzan and the Amazons ~ Tarzan and the Leopard Woman

Tarzan and the Huntress ~ Tarzan and the Mermaids

All New to DVD and Available Exclusively as a Collection October 31

Burbank, Calif. July 31, 2006 - Johnny Weissmuller swings back into action with
Warner Home Video's The Tarzan Collection Volume 2 debuting on October 31. Following
the huge success of WHV's first Weissmuller Tarzan set in 2004, this new DVD
collection includes the home video debut of Weissmuller's last six Tarzan films,
presented on three double-feature discs. Originally made at RKO, these films feature
actress Brenda Joyce, assuming the role of Tarzan's beloved Jane. Although other
actors would later play the role, these films exemplify why Weissmuller, the
five-time Olympic champion, was the definitive Tarzan, and the one to pave the way
for future interpretations of Edgar Rice Burroughs' jungle hero. During his acting
career, Weissmuller starred in 12 Tarzan features for both MGM and RKO. This
collection features Tarzan Triumphs/Tarzan's Desert Mystery, Tarzan and the
Amazons/Tarzan and the Leopard Woman and Tarzan and the Huntress/Tarzan and the
Mermaids. These six films which were never available on videocassette, are all new
to DVD, and will sell as a collection only, for $39.92 SRP.

Tarzan Triumphs (1943)/Tarzan's Desert Mystery (1943)

World War II? That's the way of civilized people, not Tarzan. He refuses to be
involved until the Nazis make the mistake of striking at the Ape-Man's family.
Johnny Weissmuller returns as the jungle hero and Johnny Sheffield again plays Boy
in Tarzan Triumphs.

Tarzan's help with the war effort continues in Tarzan's Desert Mystery, as Tarzan
crosses the Sahara to find medicinal plants needed by the Allies.

Tarzan and the Amazons (1945)/Tarzan and the Leopard Woman (1946)

Jane, absent from the series' two prior films, returns in these adventures starring
Johnny Weissmuller and Johnny Sheffield with Brenda Joyce as Jane. When the jungle
lord refuses to lead anthropologists to a mysterious female tribe, Boy does, setting
in motion the plot twists and turns of Tarzan and the Amazons.

Are brutal maulings the results of leopard attacks? The Ape-Man doesn't think so,
and his instincts prove right as he faces murderous leopard men and their exotic
priestess in Tarzan and the Leopard Woman. But its Cheetah to the rescue after the
sect captures Tarzan, Boy and Jane and readies them for sacrifice.

Tarzan and the Huntress (1947)/Tarzan and the Mermaids (1948)

Expeditioners aim to harvest animals for profit, capturing them for zoos without
regard for the balance of jungle life. There's one person the hunters didn't count
on: Tarzan. He'll protect the habitat - and call in an army of elephants to assist
when the going gets tough in Tarzan and the Huntress. The film features the last of
Johnny Sheffield's eight appearances as Boy.

In Tarzan and the Mermaids, Weissmuller bids his twelfth and final farewell to the
role of the Ape-Man, but not before rescuing a lovely maiden from a forced marriage,
tangling with a giant octopus and restoring harmony to a community of pure-hearted
pearl divers.

The Tarzan Collection Volume 2

$39.92 SRP

Street Date: October 31, 2006

All Films are B&W and Not Rated

Tarzan Triumphs

Run Time: 76 minutes

Tarzan's Desert Mystery

Run Time: 70 minutes

Tarzan and the Amazons

Run Time: 76 minutes

Tarzan and the Leopard Woman

Run Time: 72 minutes

Tarzan and the Huntress

Run Time: 72 minutes

Tarzan and the Mermaids

Run Time: 68 minutes

With operations in 90 international territories Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros.
Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the
global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any
studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner
Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and
New Line Home Entertainment.

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
I hope that Warner uses the same type packaging as Volume 1. Anyways, Great News!!!

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I've been hoping these would get released.

I'd actually prefer the slim line packaging though. I hate the fold out cardboard stuff.

I'd also like to see the rest of the RKO Tarzans with Lex Barker, etc.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
If they do release volume 2 in slimlines, I hope volume 1 gets re-released that way... (I hate fold-outs too).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I couldn't be happier with this announcement. I grew up seeing these on Saturday afternoons, and the RKO TARZANs, while inferior in quality to the MGMs, were always my favorites.

I'm sure if this is a success, the Lex Barker and Gordon Scott ones will be served up next year.

FrankXS

Second Unit
Warner just keeps knocking our wallets. October is full with Astaire & Rogers, Bogart, Horror Classics, the Masterpiece Collection and now Tarzan. I can't understand the Columbia/Paramount mindset that classics don't pay. Warner clean my bank account but keep the classics coming....Tracy,Newman,Esther Williams, Mickey and Judy, Brando, Taylor, more musicals, Controversial Classics more more more !!!!!

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator

I totally agree. While I loved the original higher budget Tarzans, somehow the B-flick quality of the RKO's have always held more nostalgic charm for me. They do seem to have more of that Saturday matinee serial feel to them, what with the cheesier production and cornier stories (and I mean that in a good way). I'm very much looking forward to this second Tarzan set.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I'm in the same category as you guys. I love all the Weissmuller "Tarzans", but for some reason these RKO's also produce a greater sense of nostalgia in me than the earlier films in the series.

Gary "while I don't care for the fold-out format either, in this case I'd rather have it simply for conformity" O.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for the great news Herb. B-movie fans rejoice! I too loved watching these back in the day.

I may be mistaken but I believe Warners said at the last theatrical chat that this wouldn't come until 2007 so getting it early is a bonus. Perhaps a consolation prize for the delay in the Bowery Boys? They also said that the Lex Barker films would follow and so on down the line.

One of the bonus features on Fox's Moto set talks about how B movies were not made with the same production values, etc. as a studio's "pretiege" product. However it is those B films that have retained their popularity over the years. Arguably more so than many of the "A" pictures which, while well made, don't have the personality that many of the Bs did. Obviously one's mileage may vary on this point, but I've known many who share that viewpoint.

Steve

James@R

Second Unit
I've never seen any of these titles, but...Tarzan wrestling an octopus?

They could charge me twice as much for this set.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Great news on this. As Steve said, I didn't think these were coming until 2007 or later.

So true. You can also find Oscar winners that are totally forgotten about yet these "B" or "C" movies live on with a fairly big cult following.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
It *is* nice to see Warner releasing some B movies. I detest the snobbery of only focusing on Oscar winners or whatever. So many great films didn't win awards. And even if it isn't a great film, it can still be great fun. :)

I hope this means Warner intend to release less "prestigious" musicals, etc, as well.

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
Would be great to see the Gordon Scott TARZAN movies on DVD, and especially the Mike Henry TARZAN movies. These are the movies I used to watch on Saturday morning growing up as a young buck in the 60's, a Tarzan with a James Bond kind of action.

Joe Kelly

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Great news indeed. After owning the 1st set on Laserdiscs years back I waited and waited for these to come out and they never did so after upgrading the 1st set to DVD I have been hoping that these may make it to DVD. They may not be as good of films as the 1st set but they are fun and short. Many I have not seen in a long time.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor

Charles, Paramount released the last two Scott Tarzan's. "Tarzan's Greatest Adventure" (1959) and "Tarzan The Magnificent" (1960). The rest WB owns.
"Tarzan And The Trappers", "Tarzan And The Lost Safari", "Tarzan's Hidden Jungle" and "Tarzan's Fight For Life".

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit

Paramount may have released TARZAN'S GREATEST ADVENTURE and TARZAN THE MAGNIFICENT, but both of those are now owned by WB as well.

They are no longer Paramount properties.
Both titles show Warner Brothers as the copyright owner at the Library of Congress.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks