1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

WHV Announces, THE TARZAN COLLECTION - Volume #2 -- October 31st

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Herb Kane, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Well-Known Member

Just in from WB:
    -----------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Johnny Weissmuller as The King of the Jungle

THE TARZAN COLLECTION VOLUME 2

Tarzan Triumphs ~ Tarzan's Desert Mystery

Tarzan and the Amazons ~ Tarzan and the Leopard Woman

Tarzan and the Huntress ~ Tarzan and the Mermaids

All New to DVD and Available Exclusively as a Collection October 31

Burbank, Calif. July 31, 2006 - Johnny Weissmuller swings back into action with
    Warner Home Video's The Tarzan Collection Volume 2 debuting on October 31. Following
    the huge success of WHV's first Weissmuller Tarzan set in 2004, this new DVD
    collection includes the home video debut of Weissmuller's last six Tarzan films,
    presented on three double-feature discs. Originally made at RKO, these films feature
    actress Brenda Joyce, assuming the role of Tarzan's beloved Jane. Although other
    actors would later play the role, these films exemplify why Weissmuller, the
    five-time Olympic champion, was the definitive Tarzan, and the one to pave the way
    for future interpretations of Edgar Rice Burroughs' jungle hero. During his acting
    career, Weissmuller starred in 12 Tarzan features for both MGM and RKO. This
    collection features Tarzan Triumphs/Tarzan's Desert Mystery, Tarzan and the
    Amazons/Tarzan and the Leopard Woman and Tarzan and the Huntress/Tarzan and the
    Mermaids. These six films which were never available on videocassette, are all new
    to DVD, and will sell as a collection only, for $39.92 SRP.

Tarzan Triumphs (1943)/Tarzan's Desert Mystery (1943)

World War II? That's the way of civilized people, not Tarzan. He refuses to be
    involved until the Nazis make the mistake of striking at the Ape-Man's family.
    Johnny Weissmuller returns as the jungle hero and Johnny Sheffield again plays Boy
    in Tarzan Triumphs.

Tarzan's help with the war effort continues in Tarzan's Desert Mystery, as Tarzan
    crosses the Sahara to find medicinal plants needed by the Allies.

Tarzan and the Amazons (1945)/Tarzan and the Leopard Woman (1946)

Jane, absent from the series' two prior films, returns in these adventures starring
    Johnny Weissmuller and Johnny Sheffield with Brenda Joyce as Jane. When the jungle
    lord refuses to lead anthropologists to a mysterious female tribe, Boy does, setting
    in motion the plot twists and turns of Tarzan and the Amazons.

Are brutal maulings the results of leopard attacks? The Ape-Man doesn't think so,
    and his instincts prove right as he faces murderous leopard men and their exotic
    priestess in Tarzan and the Leopard Woman. But its Cheetah to the rescue after the
    sect captures Tarzan, Boy and Jane and readies them for sacrifice.

Tarzan and the Huntress (1947)/Tarzan and the Mermaids (1948)

Expeditioners aim to harvest animals for profit, capturing them for zoos without
    regard for the balance of jungle life. There's one person the hunters didn't count
    on: Tarzan. He'll protect the habitat - and call in an army of elephants to assist
    when the going gets tough in Tarzan and the Huntress. The film features the last of
    Johnny Sheffield's eight appearances as Boy.

In Tarzan and the Mermaids, Weissmuller bids his twelfth and final farewell to the
    role of the Ape-Man, but not before rescuing a lovely maiden from a forced marriage,
    tangling with a giant octopus and restoring harmony to a community of pure-hearted
    pearl divers.

The Tarzan Collection Volume 2

$39.92 SRP

Street Date: October 31, 2006

All Films are B&W and Not Rated

Tarzan Triumphs

Run Time: 76 minutes

Tarzan's Desert Mystery

Run Time: 70 minutes

Tarzan and the Amazons

Run Time: 76 minutes

Tarzan and the Leopard Woman

Run Time: 72 minutes

Tarzan and the Huntress

Run Time: 72 minutes

Tarzan and the Mermaids

Run Time: 68 minutes

With operations in 90 international territories Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros.
    Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the
    global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any
    studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner
    Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and
    New Line Home Entertainment.

2. GlennWD

GlennWD Well-Known Member

I hope that Warner uses the same type packaging as Volume 1. Anyways, Great News!!!

3. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Well-Known Member

I've been hoping these would get released.

I'd actually prefer the slim line packaging though. I hate the fold out cardboard stuff.

I'd also like to see the rest of the RKO Tarzans with Lex Barker, etc.

4. ChrisRose

ChrisRose Well-Known Member

If they do release volume 2 in slimlines, I hope volume 1 gets re-released that way... (I hate fold-outs too).

5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I couldn't be happier with this announcement. I grew up seeing these on Saturday afternoons, and the RKO TARZANs, while inferior in quality to the MGMs, were always my favorites.

I'm sure if this is a success, the Lex Barker and Gordon Scott ones will be served up next year.

6. FrankXS

FrankXS Well-Known Member

Warner just keeps knocking our wallets. October is full with Astaire & Rogers, Bogart, Horror Classics, the Masterpiece Collection and now Tarzan. I can't understand the Columbia/Paramount mindset that classics don't pay. Warner clean my bank account but keep the classics coming....Tracy,Newman,Esther Williams, Mickey and Judy, Brando, Taylor, more musicals, Controversial Classics more more more !!!!!

7. RoyM

RoyM Well-Known Member

I totally agree. While I loved the original higher budget Tarzans, somehow the B-flick quality of the RKO's have always held more nostalgic charm for me. They do seem to have more of that Saturday matinee serial feel to them, what with the cheesier production and cornier stories (and I mean that in a good way). I'm very much looking forward to this second Tarzan set.

8. Gary OS

Gary OS Well-Known Member

Gary

I'm in the same category as you guys. I love all the Weissmuller "Tarzans", but for some reason these RKO's also produce a greater sense of nostalgia in me than the earlier films in the series.

Gary "while I don't care for the fold-out format either, in this case I'd rather have it simply for conformity" O.

9. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Well-Known Member

absolute awesome news

10. Charles H

Charles H Well-Known Member

DOES wb OWN THE GORDON SCOTT TARZANS?

11. Steve...O

Steve...O Well-Known Member

Steve
    Thanks for the great news Herb. B-movie fans rejoice! I too loved watching these back in the day.

I may be mistaken but I believe Warners said at the last theatrical chat that this wouldn't come until 2007 so getting it early is a bonus. Perhaps a consolation prize for the delay in the Bowery Boys? They also said that the Lex Barker films would follow and so on down the line.

One of the bonus features on Fox's Moto set talks about how B movies were not made with the same production values, etc. as a studio's "pretiege" product. However it is those B films that have retained their popularity over the years. Arguably more so than many of the "A" pictures which, while well made, don't have the personality that many of the Bs did. Obviously one's mileage may vary on this point, but I've known many who share that viewpoint.

Steve

12. James@R

James@R Well-Known Member

I've never seen any of these titles, but...Tarzan wrestling an octopus?

They could charge me twice as much for this set.

13. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Well-Known Member

Michael Elliott
    Great news on this. As Steve said, I didn't think these were coming until 2007 or later.

So true. You can also find Oscar winners that are totally forgotten about yet these "B" or "C" movies live on with a fairly big cult following.

14. ChrisRose

ChrisRose Well-Known Member

It *is* nice to see Warner releasing some B movies. I detest the snobbery of only focusing on Oscar winners or whatever. So many great films didn't win awards. And even if it isn't a great film, it can still be great fun. [​IMG]

I hope this means Warner intend to release less "prestigious" musicals, etc, as well.

15. Joe Kelly

Joe Kelly Well-Known Member

JOE
    Would be great to see the Gordon Scott TARZAN movies on DVD, and especially the Mike Henry TARZAN movies. These are the movies I used to watch on Saturday morning growing up as a young buck in the 60's, a Tarzan with a James Bond kind of action.

Joe Kelly

16. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Well-Known Member

Great news indeed. After owning the 1st set on Laserdiscs years back I waited and waited for these to come out and they never did so after upgrading the 1st set to DVD I have been hoping that these may make it to DVD. They may not be as good of films as the 1st set but they are fun and short. Many I have not seen in a long time.

17. GlennWD

GlennWD Well-Known Member

18. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Well-Known Member

Charles, Paramount released the last two Scott Tarzan's. "Tarzan's Greatest Adventure" (1959) and "Tarzan The Magnificent" (1960). The rest WB owns.
    "Tarzan And The Trappers", "Tarzan And The Lost Safari", "Tarzan's Hidden Jungle" and "Tarzan's Fight For Life".

19. Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS Well-Known Member

Paramount may have released TARZAN'S GREATEST ADVENTURE and TARZAN THE MAGNIFICENT, but both of those are now owned by WB as well.

They are no longer Paramount properties.
    Both titles show Warner Brothers as the copyright owner at the Library of Congress.

20. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Well-Known Member

Thanks, that is great news.