What's new

WHV Announcement: Warner Bros. celebrates 90th Anniversary with "Best of Warner Bros." Collections ( (1 Viewer)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yes, I have so many old snapper cases too ... I'm refusing to throw them out; just replacing the discs with Blu rays as and when ...
I think I'm one of the very few who preferred the snappers to the boring plastic cases ... wish they were still around! Still, digipaks are even better when they're issued.....

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cappelletty
It's funny -- I can tell how old my WB/NL DVD collection is by the number of snapper cases I still own. LOCAL HERO, THE IN-LAWS, HOUSE PARTY, GET CARTER, THE TIME MACHINE, TIME AFTER TIME, ONE CRAZY SUMMER, SINGLES, THE PHILADELPHIA STORY, WAIT UNTIL DARK, LONE STAR, THE HIDDEN (and the aforementioned KEY LARGO)-- all snappers.
Ratko Mladic said:
All these movies should be on Blu.Just saying.
All of those titles need to be on Blu-ray, especially Wait Until Dark, as I always bring up this title every few months. WB, is only interested in the titles that well sell the best. I've said this before, but WB needs to be striped of their library and brake up their monopoly of owning just about everything these days.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
darkrock17 said:
Quote:
All of those titles need to be on Blu-ray, especially Wait Until Dark, as I always bring up this title every few months. WB, is only interested in the titles that well sell the best. I've said this before, but WB needs to be striped of their library and brake up their monopoly of owning just about everything these days.
. . . and many people have said this before: Warner's track record in releasing old movies on high quality discs is second to none. Of course they are primarily interested in releasing films that will sell! If they concentrated on films that didn't sell, they'd quickly be out of business. Warners do not have any kind of monopoly of good catalogue titles and they do not need to be stripped of their library.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Robin9 said:
. . . and many people have said this before: Warner's track record in releasing old movies on high quality discs is second to none. Of course they are primarily interested in releasing films that will sell! If they concentrated on films that didn't sell, they'd quickly be out of business. Warners do not have any kind of monopoly of good catalogue titles and they do not need to be stripped of their library.
I beg to differ, WB owns just about everything these days, not just movies, but TV, music, you name they own it.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by darkrock17 /t/324196/whv-announcement-warner-bros-celebrates-90th-anniversary-with-best-of-warner-bros-collections-and-more-in-2013/90#post_3986030
I beg to differ, WB owns just about everything these days, not just movies, but TV, music, you name they own it.
Your use of hyperbole is not earning you any credibility..."break up their monopoly of owning everything these days" is simply not a convincing statement in your favor!!!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
darkrock17 said:
Quite obviously you do not know what you are talking about.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by darkrock17 /t/324196/whv-announcement-warner-bros-celebrates-90th-anniversary-with-best-of-warner-bros-collections-and-more-in-2013/90#post_3985923
Quote:
WB, is only interested in the titles that well sell the best. I've said this before, but WB needs to be striped of their library and brake up their monopoly of owning just about everything these days.

Really? You are kidding, right? There are about a million other things for government to be working on and fixing which have nothing to do with little shiny discs with moving pictures on them. And all of those other things, mind you, are more important than movies. Sorry, that's a fact.

Besides, what grounds would any agency have for taking away assets Warner has legitimately paid for/acquired? Because a movie isn't on disc? It would be like the government taking my movie collection away because I haven't watch the 2 disc special edition of Munich yet.

Let's move on to the next conversation, please.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
darkrock17 said:
WB, is only interested in the titles that well sell the best. I've said this before, but WB needs to be striped of their library and brake up their monopoly of owning just about everything these days.
If you actually look at the numbers, Warner releases more catalog titles on blu-ray than any other studio. A breakdown of pre-1990 titles available on blu-ray as of this summer:
1. Warner Bros. - 166
2. Paramount - 152 (includes titles licenced to other companies)
3. MGM/UA - 127 (includes titles licenced to other companies)
4. 20th Century Fox - 112 (includes titles licenced to other companies)
5. Sony/Columbia - 78 (includes titles licenced to other companies)
6. Universal - 76 (includes titles licenced to other companies)
7. Disney - 36 (includes titles licenced to other companies)
8. Lionsgate - 24

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The Lionsgate titles are actually a bit higher as I haven't updated them since June (I was only tracking the "majors" with significant catalog holdings). The numbers are also just for titles released + titles announced w/ release dates, so not *all* the numbers are through this past summer, but also include the recent announcements of Cabaret, The Jazz Singer, etc.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=6083800#post6083800

(Yes, I like tracking things. )

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Jason_V said:
Really?  You are kidding, right?  There are about a million other things for government to be working on and fixing which have nothing to do with little shiny discs with moving pictures on them.  And all of those other things, mind you, are more important than movies.  Sorry, that's a fact. 
Besides, what grounds would any agency have for taking away assets Warner has legitimately paid for/acquired?  Because a movie isn't on disc?  It would be like the government taking my movie collection away because I haven't watch the 2 disc special edition of Munich yet.
Let's move on to the next conversation, please.
Poor delusional saps, only believing what you are told. WB has been buying up everything left and right for years now, but feel free to live in your bubble though.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
What do you think are the top lucky 7 Danny Kaye titles owned by WB? And could these titles make a commercially viable boxed set?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Maybe Warners will release a new Audrey Hepburn set in blu which in addition to the usual Paramount titles from all the previous box sets will include the Nun's Story and Wait Until Dark.:)
Think of a Gary Cooper set you could get including Warner, Paramount, and Sam Goldwyn titles. What about a Vivien Leigh/ Laurence Oliver set featuring their film together and apart using the Warner, Goldwyn, and Paramount titles. There could be some really great sets if only Warner would produce them. It is a great library.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
darkrock17 said:
Poor delusional saps, only believing what you are told. WB has been buying up everything left and right for years now, but feel free to live in your bubble though.
I wish they'd been able to keep hold of the United Artists film catalogue.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I would be happy enough to make a DONATION to any effort get Warners (or Sony) to control the Universal catalog, including restoration, remastering, and releases.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Garysb said:
Maybe Warners will release a new Audrey Hepburn set in blu which in addition to the usual Paramount titles from all the previous box sets will include the Nun's Story and Wait Until Dark.:)
Think of a Gary Cooper set you could get including Warner, Paramount, and Sam Goldwyn titles. What about a Vivien Leigh/ Laurence Oliver set featuring their film together and apart using the Warner, Goldwyn, and Paramount titles. There could be some really great sets if only Warner would produce them. It is a great library.
Since WB doesn't own My Fair Lady anymore, I doubt they do a Audrey Blu-ray collection. Paramount, would be better to buy A Nun's Story, Love In The Afternoon, and Wait Until Dark to have the complete Audrey Hepburn collection.
rsmithjr said:
I would be happy enough to make a DONATION to any effort get Warners (or Sony) to control the Universal catalog, including restoration, remastering, and releases.
I'd rather see Sony (Columbia) handle another company, than WB. Anyways, it seems that Shout Factory is handling a lot of Universals catalog already.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
The record would seem to show that for quality restoration and presentation of vintage material, Warners has the track record.
Even though it irks me to have to wait, I am really pleased that it's Warners who will be handling the Fred and Ginger material as it steps to Blu ray, and that the long-promised Show Boat set of the three film versions will eventually be issued under the Warners aegis.

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Volok
As others have noted about the MGM and RKO productions mysteriously brought to us by Jack Warner, how in the hell do they intend to explain the presence of those films in any written or visual historical context??? Talk about historical revisionism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks