What's new

WHV Announcement: Tom & Jerry Golden Collection Volume Two (Blu-ray) (DVD) (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Meanwhile, at Amazon, Volume One is
Item Under ReviewWhile this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)
We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
It's probably safe to say the series is dead. I'm not holding my breath at any rate, and would love to have Warner surprise us all with a proper, definitive T&J release.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I'm not holding my breath, either, but (and I know I'm in the minority here) if, with Blu-ray, they aren't going to finally release all these cartoons in their original form, as they should be seen, then part of me is glad that the series is not going to continue. If they are going to live in irrational fear of market reaction with Tom and Jerry cartoons, just because said cartoons are from a different, less politically-correct time, then frankly, I would prefer that they lose money on the project, rather than continuing to put out editions for collectors that are also designed to meet the lowest common sales denominator. You would think that, of all studios, Warner Bros. could figure out one way to sell to collectors and another for chidren and families.

Real Name
Luigi Gennaro
Didn't see that happen. I looked at the links and Volume 1 looks normal:

Blu-Ray
DVD

Don't see anything saying UNDER REVIEW.

But yes I wonder if there's anything happening at all with Volume 2 or is the series dead.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Whatever happened, it's back on sale by Amazon and no longer "under review".

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Same date is now listed at blu-ray.com. Sounds like good news. Why would they delay unless they were going to add the missing cartoons back in?

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
In the included cartoons, "Mouse Cleaning" and "Casanova Cat" are NOT included but included is "His Mouse Friday" but it could be the "modified" version- Having the 1st two cartoons on the german set they are not what I call "bad". There are many included cartoons that "are worse". I think Mr. Big should get some glasses and someone must think "Adults" start at age 2

Retro00064

Agent
Real Name
Zachary
For what it's worth, Jerry Beck was on Stu's Show yesterday, and it appears that the December 17 release date that's been circulating may be incorrect; to his knowledge, this set is not coming out this year. Possibly next year, though; he believes it will be released eventually. As for the issue over those two cartoons not being on the set, Warner Home Video "gets it" and is willing to release the set with the cartoons included, but the legal department is preventing that from happening.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
If Jerry's whole interview is to be considered, Warner has really soured on classical animation and the eventual release of T&J Volume 2 (with or without the missing cartoons) will be the end of the line.

Looney Tunes Platinum #3 has been pushed back at least a year, and the remaining Popeyes are back in limbo. Tex Avery wasn't brought up at all, not even in passing.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Retro00064 said:
For what it's worth, Jerry Beck was on Stu's Show yesterday, and it appears that the December 17 release date that's been circulating may be incorrect; to his knowledge, this set is not coming out this year. Possibly next year, though; he believes it will be released eventually. As for the issue over those two cartoons not being on the set, Warner Home Video "gets it" and is willing to release the set with the cartoons included, but the legal department is preventing that from happening.
The legal department. That really seems a stretch. About the only legal complication I could think of is Warner gets sued by an employee for discrimination in employment practices, and the employee claims that the release of the cartoons shows Warner's insensitivity. It seems readily fixable by burying the cartoons in the special feature section and including disclaimers. I have trouble believing that the cartoons could seriously affect Warner's litigation risks.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I don't find it hard to believe at all that some idiot in the legal department has their gonch in a twist over these cartoons and is justifying their paycheck by having them blocked.

So who has a corporate email for Warner's legal department so that we can tell them that we don't appreciate people in the legal department with no understanding of cultural history babysitting us?

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Ken_Martinez said:
If Jerry's whole interview is to be considered, Warner has really soured on classical animation and the eventual release of T&J Volume 2 (with or without the missing cartoons) will be the end of the line.

Looney Tunes Platinum #3 has been pushed back at least a year, and the remaining Popeyes are back in limbo. Tex Avery wasn't brought up at all, not even in passing.
That sounds really unfortunate, especially for two compact series already well underway like T&J and Popeye. WHV should discover the wonderful world of sub-licensing.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
and is topic keeps going, while blu ray.com has a release date in December, Amazon has no such announcement. and now there is info via NBC's today show that possibly this is postponed indefinitely.

to use the phrase correctly , I could spit nails at the thought of it, but it seems as if this with all animation will be looked at differently in historical reference than standard filmed media, just because it is classic animated short does not automatically, mean that it was intended for children.

when this series was started WB stated that they were going to do these in order and un-altered, nice to see them, follow thru with that promise to the collectors that these sets were marketed to. WB said that they would give US an official answered in this very thread, I and many others are waiting.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Warner Bros, for many years the leader of superb catalog releases, has now become what Sony used to by (remember all the full-screen releases?). They've switched places now, and Fox is right up there with Sony. What happened, Warner? It's lamentable. Somehow I feel Mr. Feltenstein is as unhappy about all this as we are.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Douglas R said:
This issue has now become national news in the UK. Which is a bit odd because Warner don't seem to be releasing either volume in the UK anyway!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2389245/Tom-Jerry-fans-accuse-Warner-Brothers-censorship-episodes-cat-mouse-blacked-pulled-new-collection.html

There's also a campaign on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unleash-Banned-Tom-Jerry-Cartoons/543219659051383
This is making news now in the United States: http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/tom-and-jerry-in-blackface-censored-cartoons-draw-animated-response-from-experts

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm not optimistic enough at this time to think this will cause Warner to change their mind and release the controversial cartoons, I do like that they are being publicly shamed for their actions though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks