What's new

WHV Announcement: Tiny Toons Adventures How I Spent My Vacation (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
4be5711a_tinytoonpress.jpeg

DavidBC

Second Unit
This is a pleasant surprise. I still have my VHS from 100 years ago. I bet I still know this film line by line.

Scamp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Kevin Martinez said:
Is this step one in getting the rest of the series out? I hope so.
Me too. Would love to see more seasons released.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Me too. Would love to see more seasons released.
What's odd about the whole this is that the release announcement boasts an "Awareness" of Tiny Toons that is 20% higher than average. So why haven't the other seasons been released yet?

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
What I find most interesting about this is I mentioned wanting it from WB Archives here a couple weeks ago. And people telling me it wasn't likely...

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
I wonder what AR they'll release it in...
Back in the day Warners preferred "Full screen" (then 1.33) for "family" titles. Remember when they announced the SE DVD of WILLY WONKA in full screen ONLY and we all had to squawk and wait until they released it in Widescreen OAR?
Now that Widescreen IS "Full Screen" I can't imagine the masses are going to love those vertical bars anymore than they loved the horizontal ones.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
IT’S OUTRAGEOUS SUMMER FUN

WITH THE TINY TOONS GANG

ON WARNER HOME VIDEO’S RELEASE OF

TINY TOON ADVENTURES: HOW I SPENT MY VACATION

AVAILABLE ON DVD FOR THE FIRST TIME

AUGUST 21, 2012

BURBANK, CA (May 23, 2012) – It’s summer vacation madness at its best with Babs and Buster Bunny, and all their pals from Acme Looniversity as they ditch the classroom for zany escapades and fun on Tiny Toon Adventures: How I Spent My Vacation, available in stores August 21, 2012. Executive produced by Steven Spielberg, this full-length animated film is available on DVD for the first time from Warner Home Video (WHV) and will retail for $19.97 SRP.

No more pencils, no more books! It’s the last day of class at Acme Looniversity and the Tiny Toons gang is ready for some summer hi-jinks and fun. Babs and Buster Bunny’s water pistol fight gets a little out of control and turns into a wild and exciting white-water rafting trip. Plucky Duck and Hampton Pig share the most impossibly awful road trip imaginable on their way to HappyWorldLand. Elmyra Duff becomes irritable after losing her cat and wanders off on her own in a wild animal park in search of “cute little kitties to hug and squeeze.” In the meantime, Fifi Le Fume meets film actor Johnny Pew who turns out to be a “skunknophobic” nightmare. It’s a loony summer vacation our Tiny Toons pals won’t soon forget!

Produced by Amblin Entertainment and Warner Bros. Animation, Tiny Toon Adventures: How I Spent My Vacation was executive produced by Steven Spielberg.

“Whether you’re a Tiny Toons fan or an admirer of classic Looney Tunes cartoons, this film is a must have if you love animation,” said Mary Ellen Thomas, Vice President Family & Animation Marketing and Partner Brands. She added, “Tiny Toon Adventures: How I Spent My Vacation combines animation with clever and imaginative writing, resulting in a delightful film the whole family can enjoy.”

Tiny Toon Adventures focuses on the new generation of Looney Tunes characters who study at Acme Looniversity. The series was produced by Steven Spielberg and Warner Bros. Animation.

The Credits

About Warner Bros. Animation
Warner Bros. Animation (WBA) is one of the leading producers of animation in the entertainment industry, with an innovative and talent-rich roster boasting some of the most accomplished writers, producers and artists working today. The studio is on the cutting edge of animation technology and has both CG and traditionally animated projects in current production and development. For TV, WBA produces series such as Green Lantern: The Animated Series, The Looney Tunes Show, MAD, Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated, ThunderCats and Young Justice, for Cartoon Network. WBA will also produce series and additional original content for Cartoon Network’s multiplatform branded DC Nation programming block, which debuts in 2012. In addition to TV series, WBA produces theatrically released CG cartoon shorts featuring iconic Looney Tunes characters, rendered in stereoscopic 3D. The first three shorts premiered in 2010, the most recent short — I Tawt I Taw a Puddy Tat — was released in November 2011, and two additional cartoons will debut in 2012. WBA also creates the highly successful series of DC Universe Original Animated Movies for DVD. Producing for multiple platforms including TV, digital and home entertainment both domestically and internationally, WBA is highly respected for its creative and technical excellence, as well as for maintaining the Studio’s rich cartoon heritage. It is also the home of the iconic animated characters from the DC Comics, Hanna-Barbera, MGM and Looney Tunes libraries. One of the most-honored animation studios in history, WBA has been honored with six Academy Awards®, 35 Emmy® Awards, the George Foster Peabody Award, an Environmental Media Award, a Parents’ Choice Award, the HUMANITAS Prize, two Prism Awards and 20 Annie Awards (honoring excellence in animation).

About Warner Home Video
With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a division of Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Inc., commands the largest home entertainment distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Video and New Line Cinema.

About Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group brings together Warner Bros. Entertainment's home video, digital distribution, interactive entertainment/videogames, direct-to-DVD production, technical operations and anti-piracy businesses in order to maximize current and next-generation distribution scenarios. WBHEG is responsible for the global distribution of content through DVD, electronic sell-through and VOD, and delivery of theatrical content to wireless and online channels, and is also a significant worldwide publisher for both internal and third party videogame titles.

For more information on this and other titles distributed by Warner Home Video, visit www.whvdirect.com.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Isn't it odd that WB decides to release a movie about summer at the END of Summer?

Scamp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
So, any review coming for this dvd release? The little I've been able to find on the web has not been very good regarding the image or sound quality of this release with those posting saying that you'd be better off just sticking with your old VHS copy. Anyone purchase and have a chance to watch yet? Any HTF reviewer planning to check it out?

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scamp said:
So, any review coming for this dvd release? The little I've been able to find on the web has not been very good regarding the image or sound quality of this release with those posting saying that you'd be better off just sticking with your old VHS copy. Anyone purchase and have a chance to watch yet? Any HTF reviewer planning to check it out?
Not long ago when I suggested this title for WB's MOD program, I got a lot of negative response that is wasn't gonna happen, not enough interest, etc. Then just a few weeks later when it was announced, you can trace this thread back to see how little interest there was. so I'm not expecting a review, but I did buy it and according to USPA tracking my copy was 30 minutes away a few hours ago so maybe I'll get it this weekend.
Frankly I'm not expecting much as Warners can't even be counted on for new transfers on Blu releases, but we'll know soon enough. Checking Amazon, someone has spammed the reviews with a mountain of incoherent gibberish, possibly to obliterate the almost unanimously bad reviews this DVD has gotten, the consensus is the quality is awful, some say worse than the VHS, obviously no new transfer, and WB didn't even bother to put images on the cover that represent the actual movie. At this point Wb needs to hear a big WTF? from people they soaked for this cheapie disc.

Scamp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Thanks Carter; look forward to hearing what you have to say once you've had a chance to view it.

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
NY2LA said:
I wonder what AR they'll release it in...
Back in the day Warners preferred "Full screen" (then 1.33) for "family" titles. Remember when they announced the SE DVD of WILLY WONKA in full screen ONLY and we all had to squawk and wait until they released it in Widescreen OAR? Now that Widescreen IS "Full Screen" I can't imagine the masses are going to love those vertical bars anymore than they loved the horizontal ones.
Wha? There is a world of difference between a theatrical movie and a DTV movie. Wonka was the former. Tiny Toons Vacation was the latter. 1.33:1 for TT is OAR and from what I read on the back of the packaging that is how it's presented.
NY2LA said:
Frankly I'm not expecting much as Warners can't even be counted on for new transfers on Blu releases, but we'll know soon enough. Checking Amazon, someone has spammed the reviews with a mountain of incoherent gibberish, possibly to obliterate the almost unanimously bad reviews this DVD has gotten, the consensus is the quality is awful, some say worse than the VHS, obviously no new transfer, and WB didn't even bother to put images on the cover that represent the actual movie. At this point Wb needs to hear a big WTF? from people they soaked for this cheapie disc.
TIny Toons was photographed on film with post produciton done on SD video. The master tape is SD video. VHS and Laserdisc softened the picture enough so that the rough picture wasn't as noticable.
Now, the clarity of DVD combined with better quality TVs is revealing what those "Post on tape" productions really look like. The same complaints have been made about the Disney Afternoon series and several other animated (and live action) series.
I look forward to Carter's thoughts but the reality is that this is the best this DTV movie will look unless Spielberg decides to rebuild the movie for HD (yeah, right).
But, I might just save myself some money and transfer my Laserdisc to DVD.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom M said:
Wha? There is a world of difference between a theatrical movie and a DTV movie. Wonka was the former.
So what? I don't believe there is a world of difference. Studios sure didn't care when they were cropping everything in sight to make it fit 4x3 for "family friendly" titles (in other words for the masses who didn't understand and/or like letterbox) Those folks who were most likely to complain that "something was wrong" if their TV wasn't filled took precedence over the rest of us who wanted the whole frame even it it meant black bars.
Tom M said:
Tiny Toons Vacation was the latter. 1.33:1 for TT is OAR and from what I read on the back of the packaging that is how it's presented.
Yeah, and I think if it weren't for that bloody awful "stretch mode" we'd still have folks complaining that their newfangled widescreen TVs aren't filled by the old 4x3 stuff. Personally since I prefer a wider AR, I wouldn't mind if there were some panning and scanning of 4x3 material to fit 16x9. There was a time when studios gave us both. There is certainly enough room on this disc for both 4x3 and 16x9. I see some discs doing it, going back about 3-4 years. Now don't everybody jump on me, I'm not advocating they go and crop GWTW (again), I'd just like the option.
Tom M said:
TIny Toons was photographed on film with post produciton done on SD video. The master tape is SD video. VHS and Laserdisc softened the picture enough so that the rough picture wasn't as noticable. Now, the clarity of DVD combined with better quality TVs is revealing what those "Post on tape" productions really look like. The same complaints have been made about the Disney Afternoon series and several other animated (and live action) series.
So they should go back to the film and make a new master! We're not talking brain surgery. And why aren't we hearing the same complaints with the whole Tiny Toons and Animaniacs series?
Tom M said:
I look forward to Carter's thoughts but the reality is that this is the best this DTV movie will look unless Spielberg decides to rebuild the movie for HD (yeah, right). But, I might just save myself some money and transfer my Laserdisc to DVD.
I suggest you do because apparently that's all Warner did. Warner didn't bother to remaster Willy Wonka for BluRay. They have the film. I have a friend who reviews for several online and print outlets and he tells me WB and TCF are among the biggest culprits for releasing Blu Rays with old transfers. I sincerely suggest you all check out Amazon's page for this title and once you sift through the bogus spam 5 star reviews (and ya gotta wonder why there are SO MANY of them) you'll see that the few real reviews of this DVD (people who have actually watched it) all say it looks awful.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
It looks like an old worn VHS. You know the telltale signs when you made a copy of a VHS? Things like the titles got extra edges around them? It looked like a movie shown on a dirty screen? Looks like it is a generation or three from the old original, just like VHS copies did. Sounds like it too. Not even as good as a copy made from a laserdisc. This is low quality all the way. Spielberg should be pissed to have his name on it. Don't buy it. get a used laserdisc and make your own DVD from it.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
NY2LA said:
Yeah, and I think if it weren't for that bloody awful "stretch mode" we'd still have folks complaining that their newfangled widescreen TVs aren't filled by the old 4x3 stuff. Personally since I prefer a wider AR, I wouldn't mind if there were some panning and scanning of 4x3 material to fit 16x9. There was a time when studios gave us both. There is certainly enough room on this disc for both 4x3 and 16x9. I see some discs doing it, going back about 3-4 years. Now don't everybody jump on me, I'm not advocating they go and crop GWTW (again), I'd just like the option.
l.
Most players and tvs have the option of cropping the fullscreen video just after the stretch option. Such a feature on a disc would be worthless and not worth the effort.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tory said:
Most players and tvs have the option of cropping the fullscreen video just after the stretch option. Such a feature on a disc would be worthless and not worth the effort.
Wrong. If such a crop feature had been included in old 4x3 TVs, studios still would have had to do Pan and Scan for the "Family Friendly" crowd who won't do it, or won't understand, and for the fact that a static crop will sometimes leave out something important. Pan/Scan to 16x9 has already been done as a choice on 4x3 titles, such as Alastair Sim's Scrooge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks