What's new

WHV Announcement: The Odd Couple and Shane (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks, Crawdaddy. Did not see it the first time.
In fact, when searching for Shane Blu-ray on Amazon,
it was listed at the bottom of the page.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Escapay said:
YES! I've been wanting this on Blu-Ray for a long time...
Since Warner Bros is distributing Paramount titles, it would be great if they could release A Place in the Sun in an Elizabeth Taylor boxed set with National Velvet, Raintree County, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and BUtterfield 8.

It's sad how poorly she's represented on Blu-ray. She was last year's top earning dead celebrity (beating out her good friend Michael Jackson, as well as Elvis and Marilyn), her White Diamonds fragrance still brings in more than any other celebrity scent, and there's a commemorative magazine out on newsstands now about her...the woman still sells!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
darkrock17 said:
Why is the WB and Paramount logo both on the cover, that could confuse people to think that both studios made these movies.
Ronald Epstein said:
I agree that having both logos on the packaging makes it confusing as to the studio that originally released it.

However, I suppose, it's simply Warner's way of putting their stamp on the product as home video distributor.

I suppose if you look at it as the top logo being the original release studio and the bottom logo being the distributor, then you'll be fine.
Stephen_J_H said:
Better that both are included than Warner alone, which could just as easily have been the case.
darkrock17 said:
True, but why WB of all people wanting to add more to their overload collection of titles. Paramount, not that bad off that it needs another studio to release it's titles. Paramount's logo should only be on the spine and WB should be on the back.
Brandon Conway said:
As far as I can tell, Paramount simply doesn't want to be in the home video distribution business for catalog titles anymore (sans the exceptions of Spielberg, Indiana Jones, Transformers, etc.)
Clearly I would just love to see the Paramount logo on the side, but it all depends on how the distribution deal with WB is set up. Does anyone have an issue when Shout! Factory only puts its logo on the side, or Criterion, is it because it was licensed?

Distribution wise I like what Fox does with MGM, it is clearly on the back and works fine.

Brandon I have to agree that it seems as if it is not a certain title that the act as if they want out of the home video distribution business, I wonder why a deal wasn’t struck with CBS to do the distribution of Paramount titles instead of the deal with WB, sounds like it would have been more cost effective (and still sort of in house)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
dana martin said:
Brandon I have to agree that it seems as if it is not a certain title that the act as if they want out of the home video distribution business, I wonder why a deal wasn’t struck with CBS to do the distribution of Paramount titles instead of the deal with WB, sounds like it would have been more cost effective (and still sort of in house)
Well, Paramount kept the Star Trek films for themselves, so they probably did the deal for the CBS titles mainly to lock up the Star Trek TV distribution as well.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
but if it is just a shifting or resources, i think it would have been more cost effective for Viacom to use CBS as its distribution wing for Paramount titles, maybe i am wrong i know Hollywood deals in a different mindframe on such things.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
So any word from the more knowledgeable among us on how The Odd Couple looks, now that it's out? I've read a review on another site saying it looks quite good, but I'd prefer feedback from here.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
The Odd Couple looks very good - I'm sure it's the same master used for the special edition DVD of a few years ago - but the color is great and it's sharp - and funny, of course. I, too, was surprised not to see one word about it here.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
I believe there was so much controversy over the "Shane" aspect ratio topic these past few months that "The Odd Couple" wound up becoming the neglected child of this thread...I've seen my blu-ray of this wonderful Neil Simon comedy and find it quite satisfying overall in terms of clarity and resolution. The overall presentation's probably as good as good we'll ever get for home theater. Still waiting for one of HTF's reviewers to do a formal critique of this old classic.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
dana martin said:
Clearly I would just love to see the Paramount logo on the side, but it all depends on how the distribution deal with WB is set up. Does anyone have an issue when Shout! Factory only puts its logo on the side, or Criterion, is it because it was licensed?

Distribution wise I like what Fox does with MGM, it is clearly on the back and works fine.

Perhaps we need a dedicated Studio Logo on cover art thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks