What's new

WHV Announcement: The Best Years of Our Lives (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Douglas_H said:
Sorry but The Best Best Years of Our Lives is a better, deeper, more real film.
Love them both, but I kind of agree. That scene in the airplane grave yard speaks volumes to me, for not only the planes, but the men that flew them as it is a real poignant moment.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Didier R said:
Because it's not as good as "brilliant" A Star is Born (1976) ;)
It's funny how Warner announces some of these titles and people still complain about them. It goes to show you that somebody will always be unhappy, no matter what any studio does with their library. If it wasn't the digibook, it would be something else like how come they didn't release this title or it's priced too high.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Robert Crawford said:
It's funny how Warner announces some of these titles and people still complain about them. It goes to show you that somebody will always be unhappy, no matter what any studio does with their library. If it wasn't the digibook, it would be something else like how come they didn't release this title or it's priced too high.
Didier R said:
Because it's not as good as "brilliant" A Star is Born (1976) ;)
It wasn't a complaint , just a question. I know that the price point will be lower ;) , but as others have stated, I think it is that important of a movie, more so than some that have had that distinction of a deluxe treatment . Just think of it as the window dressing, do you just want blinds; or do you want curtains with it. I am just happy to see more of the Goldwyn titles not get regulated strictly to the WAC. So many great films, so much potential.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Robert Crawford said:
Love them both, but I kind of agree. That scene in the airplane grave yard speaks volumes to me, for not only the planes, but the men that flew them as it is a real poignant moment.
This scene is the climax of the film; the rest is window dressing, necessary at the time to give returning vets hope. But I wouldn't have minded getting hitched to Teresa Wright.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The Man Who Would Be King was a digibook [just picked it up last week]. It was an Allied Artists/Columbia co-production where the video rights were held by Lorimar. According to the blurb on the back, Columbia still holds theatrical rights.

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Didier Rochefort
Both musicals...as well as A Star is Born remake. Hmmmm....it speak volumes.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Robert Crawford said:
What's your point? Are we all supposed to pledge unqualified allegiance and heap unconditional praise on a studio just because they happen to announce the release of a popular title? If we can't discuss the potential merits and drawbacks to something or express our honest reactions and responses, why even have a public forum?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
haineshisway said:
Best news of the year as long as the transfer is as good as it can possibly be to show off the brilliant Greg Toland photography and the Hugo Friedhofer score.
I'm certain that it will be as good as can possibly be. With the understanding going in, that the original negative was lost during shipment, and that all that survive are two less than stellarfine grains.

Wish it were otherwise for this extraordinary film.

RAH

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Given that this title is under the auspices of George Feltenstein & Ned Price, Robert, I'm sure they're doing everything humanly possible to restore this wonderful film to its original cinematic glory...to do anything less would be an artistic crime given its lofty position in film history...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Professor Echo said:
What's your point? Are we all supposed to pledge unqualified allegiance and heap unconditional praise on a studio just because they happen to announce the release of a popular title? If we can't discuss the potential merits and drawbacks to something or express our honest reactions and responses, why even have a public forum?
You've made my point with your comments! Now, you can have the final word on the matter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert Harris said:
I'm certain that it will be as good as can possibly be. With the understanding going in, that the original negative was lost during shipment, and that all that survive are two less than stellarfine grains.

RAH
RAH,

Is there problems with Goldwyn film library elements like the RKO one?

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Digibooks are fun to collect (I only have a few - "Cleopatra", "Star is Born", "Meet Me in St. Louis" and "Pillow Talk") but agree, they should be dual-released in standard packaging as well because a lot of collectors don't necessarily want all the frills.

clambake

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jamie
When I saw this thread, the first thing I was going to say is 'What a great movie', but I see it's already been said (multiple times)!

But it really is an excellent movie that carries a strong impact. Totally recommended to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Robert Harris said:

RAH
That is the first time i have ever read that the movie's original negative was lost during shipment. I wonder if it is somewhere out there and how did it that happen? Do have both the special edition laserdisc and the first HBO release with some extras so i hope it will be added to the blu-ray release.

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
Whew! Robert's confidence gives me great relief. I also forgot about the great score, thanks Haines!
Since it's just us guys here I can admit this:
Whenever I watch this film, the scene where Homer finally pulls his head out of his a$$ and explains to Wilma how he feels,
I mist-up big time, every time.
Plus, Dana Andrews, Frederic March, Myrna Loy, Hoagy Carmichael, Teresa Wright, Virginia Mayo, Harold Russell, Ray Collins? C'mon!
Brilliant casting, brilliant film, brilliant end.
I know what we'll be watching on Thanksgiving.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks