What's new

WHV Announcement: Sherlock Holmes (Blu-ray Combo Pack) (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
makes me wish MPI would release the entire Rathbone/Bruce series in Blu, with all the extras that were on the single releases, UCLA did the restoration so these should still be good i think.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
This was a little dark I thought (cinematography), but other than that my wife and I really enjoyed this. I'll pick this one up for sure.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's too bad that the studio that owns the Rathbone "Sherlock Holmes" films didn't take advantage of this release and put out a Blu-ray set. The Jeremy Brett "Holmes " series would have been nice too. A release of "The Seven Percent Solution" would have been good as well.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Edwin-S

It's too bad that the studio that owns the Rathbone "Sherlock Holmes" films didn't take advantage of this release and put out a Blu-ray set. The Jeremy Brett "Holmes " series would have been nice too. A release of "The Seven Percent Solution" would have been good as well.
I'm not sure the Jeremy Brett Holmes series would show much improvement on blu-ray as it was shot on standard 16mm. I know I would like to see it in HD, but I think the upgrade would be so slight that most people would likely not be able to see the difference.

Doug

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

I'm not sure the Jeremy Brett Holmes series would show much improvement on blu-ray as it was shot on standard 16mm. I know I would like to see it in HD, but I think the upgrade would be so slight that most people would likely not be able to see the difference.

Doug

Interesting. I didn't know that. I didn't realize that professional productions still used 16mm. I thought that 16mm would mostly be used by amateur filmmakers as a cost saving measure and that most pro productions shot on film would be 35mm. Wasn't the original Trek shot on 16mm? I know they gussied it up, but the BDs do seem to be a marked improvement over the DVDs.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Interesting. I didn't know that. I didn't realize that professional productions still used 16mm. I thought that 16mm would mostly be used by amateur filmmakers as a cost saving measure and that most pro productions shot on film would be 35mm. Wasn't the original Trek shot on 16mm? I know they gussied it up, but the BDs do seem to be a marked improvement over the DVDs.
No the original Star Trek was shot on 35mm with Mitchell cameras just like the vast majority of American television shows at the time. However in England with much smaller budgets, most television shows were shot on 16mm film with the exception of the Gerry Anderson productions which I believe were all 35mm. Dr. Who was a mix of video (interiors shot on sets) and 16mm film (exteriors).

With the advent of the Panavision 16mm camera in the late 1980's, there was a flirtation with some American shows being shot on 16mm. Xena, In The Heat of the Night, Homicide: Life on the Street, Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman among them. Burn Notice, The O.C., Scrubs, are, or were, shot in super 16mm. The combination of modern film stock, and the larger image area of super 16mm would probably make these shows more advantageous in HD.

16mm was actually created as an amateur format, but became a semi-professional medium when 8mm took over the amateur format in 1932.

Interestingly, when I was looking up some information on the Panavision 16mm "elaine" camera, I found an interesting statement from Panavision. "As of 2006, Panavision has no further plans to develop additional film camera models."
Apparently the The XL series 35mm system will be the last film camera Panavision will make, all future R&D is going into digital cinematography.

Doug

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
I'll be blind-buying this movie for sure.

Interesting. I didn't know that. I didn't realize that professional productions still used 16mm
The Hurt Locker was shot on 16mm.

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce /forum/thread/297554/whv-announcement-sherlock-holmes-blu-ray-combo-pack#post_3657024

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The recent "Halloween II" was also shot in 16mm to give it that grungy, grainy 70s aesthetic.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
As was the recent "The House of the Devil", although there the intent was to make it look like a horror cheapie from the early 80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks