What's new

WHV Announcement: Ocean's 11 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I'll be blind buying this! It's one of my favorite "Rat Pack" movies. Can't wait to hear what Frank Jr. and Angie have to say in the commentary track.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

A "blind buy" is when you place your order without knowing if the product is of good quality. In the case of Blu-ray discs, that means without knowing if the sound and picture quality is good, if the disc plays without problems, if there are any interesting extras, etc etc.

"Blind buying" a DVD or Blu-ray disc does not necessarily mean not knowing anything about the movie.

I won't blind buy this BRD of Ocean's Eleven. I'll wait until I have a rough idea of its quality, but if it is good I'll definitely buy it. I'd love to have Dean Martin and Sammy Davis singing in HD sound. I'd love to have Angie Dickinson in Hi-Def too!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It's a very entertaining movie, and I'll be getting it for sure, but I would love to know the decision-making process that chose this pleasurable caper film over classics like Singing in the Rain or Meet Me in St. Louis for Blu-ray release this year. Did Warners run some kind of poll on their website? Did An American in Paris and Gigi sell especially poorly on Blu-ray last year?

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Singing in the Rain still needs a lot of work (the current HD master is not up to par by today's standards) and Warner want to do it right instead of doing it quickly. Too bad not all companies have the same philosophy (you know who you are).

Don't know about "Meet Me..." though.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Robin9 "Blind buying" a DVD or Blu-ray disc does not necessarily mean not knowing anything about the movie.

And yet that has always been my understanding of the meaning of the phrase.

Gary Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Yup...can't wait to hear Sammy croonin' E-O Eleven in lossless audio. Lucky 7-11 or snake eyes, I'm rolling the dice on this one.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I'd love to have Dean Martin and Sammy Davis singing in HD sound. I'd love to have Angie Dickinson in Hi-Def too!

Well, if you want to hear Dean sing and see Angie in hi-def in the meantime, you can always check out the Blu Ray of Rio Bravo. As Meatloaf says, "Two out of three ain't bad."

RE: "Blind Buy"

I'd normally also apply it to buying a movie I hadn't previously seeen - but in this age of better displays and players, I can also see using it to mean buying a transfer I hadn't seen of a movie I had. But if I were writing a dictionary definition of the term, "movie the buyer hasn't seen before" would definitely be the main entry.

Regards,

Joe

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

And yet that has always been my understanding of the meaning of the phrase.

I think that he means you can know something about the movie, you just haven't seen it yet. While 'blind buying' would perhaps strictly mean that you don't know anything about a title at all.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Rio Bravo is a great movie and one of the very first BDs I ever bought.

I will buy this also if a good price comes along. George Raft on Blu-Ray! Unless I'm overlooking something this means he will have more films on BD that his gangster contemporaries Jimmy Cagney and Eddie Robinson.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I saw Ocean's 11 (1960) in HD on cable on the old INHD channel (later changed it's name to MOJO, now gone completely) several years ago now. I remember thinking that it looked very good. This Blu-ray should only improve on that.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This movie is truly "Cool".

I have over 1300 dvd's and Blu's combined, I guess every single one was a blind buy then going by that definition.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
I'm happy just having this film on DVD. I have the original Australian DVD released around 2002, it is a very good transfer even considering it is 8 years old. I'm sure this Blu-ray will improve on it, but it just isn't one of my favourite films.

I'd buy Some Came Running on Blu-ray, that's probably my favourite Sinatra film.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've never heard "blind buy" mean anything but the purchase of a film never-before-seen.

Here's a possible origination of the phrase from our good friends at wikipedia:

Block booking is a system of selling multiple films to a theater as a unit. Block booking was the prevailing practice among Hollywood's major studios from the turn of the 1930s until it was outlawed by the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in United States v. Paramount Pictures, Inc. (1948). Under block booking, "independent ('unaffiliated') theater owners took on large numbers of [a] studio's pictures sight unseen. Those studios could then parcel out second-rate product along with A-class features and star vehicles, which made both production and distribution operations more economical."[1] The element of the system involving the purchase of unseen pictures is known as blind bidding.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Reed Grele

I'll be blind buying this! It's one of my favorite "Rat Pack" movies. Can't wait to hear what Frank Jr. and Angie have to say in the commentary track.

You know that commentary's already on the existing DVD, right? I just saw the DVD/listened to the commentary a few weeks ago. Not wild about the flick, but the commentary's reasonably informative...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks