What's new

WHV Announcement: Looney Tunes: The Platinum Collection Volume 3 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Paul Tilburgs
Brandon Conway said:
I was going off of Vol. 1 only being 1 disc for the German release, but apparently Vol. 2 was both discs for Germany. So I guess we won't know for sure until someone has it in hand.
Received the German release today and (except for backover and booklet being in English) contents are the exact same as the US release.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Ken_Martinez said:
So, it looks like V3 will be exlusive to Blu-Ray. Except for the four new-to-disc cartoons, it's not a big loss.

So, to get every Looney Tune that's been restored, you'd need:

Golden Collection: 359

Super Stars: 79 (without cropped shorts), 99 (with cropped shorts)

Essential Daffy Duck: 1

Mouse Chronicles: 16

Academy Awards set: 7

Platinum Collection: 21 (new-to-home video), 25 (inc. fullscreen versions of shorts cropped on Super Stars discs)

The highest possible count is 503, just over half the library.

Thank you for the layout. What a mess. At this point, I wish that the Archive did take over the series.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
WadeM said:
Thank you for the layout. What a mess. At this point, I wish that the Archive did take over the series.

At this point, I'd be shocked if we see any type of physical classic cartoon release from Warner's. I know there are people there wanting to put more out, I don't think it any release will make it past corporate.To the bean counters, classic cartoon properties appear to be dead.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Russell G said:
To the bean counters, classic cartoon properties appear to be dead.

Speaking as someone who wanted and wants every single Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoon, I gave up on their double dipping, convoluted release strategy/public messages, badly programmed (hard to watch a full disc at once, which is REAL hard to program these that badly), stupidly cropped releases years ago. I still want all of their cartoons. However, I'm not going to waste money on no-end re-releases to pick up one or up to a handful, of newly released cartoons for some false promise of getting them all. Cartoons may appear to be dead, but WB pushed this fan and apparently others away.

You may be right, and I think I read in one of these threads that the current WB division that holds these cartoons wouldn't let the archives have them, but I continue to wish that someone would get these cartoons out there without making me the buyer feeling gypped. :)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Russell G said:
At this point, I'd be shocked if we see any type of physical classic cartoon release from Warner's. I know there are people there wanting to put more out, I don't think it any release will make it past corporate.To the bean counters, classic cartoon properties appear to be dead.
I can't understand this. The Warner cartoons, especially those of the late forties and fifites, are timeless. Unlike so much entertainment of that era, they don't seem of any specific era. You don't watch them and think, "That looks so forties!" And the humor is timeless too. If Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck begin to fade into obscurity, as has Laurel and Hardy, I will blame those Warner Bros bean counters. As a professional bean counter myself, I think Warner could be making lots of easy money by exploiting these evergreen titles more efficiently.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
Yes..the only release coming so far is a dvd called Musical Masterpieces. There is a cartoon on the upcoming 3d Kiss Me Kate release but it's not Lumberjack Rabbit..it's Barney's HUngry Cousin ...

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
phillyrobt said:
Yes..the only release coming so far is a dvd called Musical Masterpieces. There is a cartoon on the upcoming 3d Kiss Me Kate release but it's not Lumberjack Rabbit..it's Barney's HUngry Cousin ...

It is such a squandered opportunity for the studio to fail to include Lumber Jack Rabbit on any of its 3D releases.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
It's pretty obvious they haven't been remastering any more. WHV hasn't touched them in quite a while. If we do get something, it will be something already remastered in the GCs.

The Hungry Bear might be notable if the did an HD transfer, but I seriously doubt they did. Will likely be a SD port.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks